Smoking Inside Shopping Malls.

Topic locked

Should the UAE government ban smoking in Shopping Malls?

Yes
57%
No
38%
Not sure
5%

Total votes : 21

Jun 04, 2006
Power to smokers

We have rights too

:P :P :P :P :P

arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jun 04, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:
Also Shisha smoking is like having 10 fags all at once!

You've already had 10 fags take you at the same time??? :shock:
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 04, 2006
A64Venice wrote:
MaaaD wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:Also Shisha smoking is like having 10 fags all at once!

Liban can tell us more about how that feels :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Believe it or not, but a recent study done on no-tobacco day indicated that one Shisha is equivalent to smoking 100 Cigarettes. This was on radio 2 weeks back.

This is no joke.

sorry but this bullshit .. there isnt one scientfic study on this subject yet. All the stuff you will hear will be from "health officials". Not one research study has been conducted at an impartial university yet ! ... i would love to see a med school study on this.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 04, 2006
One in two long-term smokers will die prematurely as a result of their habit and in the UK 114,000 are killed by smoking every year. Worldwide almost 5 million people die prematurely each year as a result of smoking, most from lung cancer, chronic obstructive lung disease and coronary heart disease.

Now I don't mind if people want to make an informed choice and decide to stand in front of that ten-tonne truck of death and illness hurtling towards them but I just don't want them dragging me in there with them. Let people smoke where they want AS LONG AS IT DOESN'T AFFECT OTHER PEOPLE. I've chosen to keep my lungs clean and I have the right to keep it that way so without question smoking should be banned in public places. The more enlightened nations are going down the path of a ban to save people's lives.

Oh and by the way fellas... it can also help to make you impotent and lower your sperm count to boot. And anyone who doesn't think shisha is harmful has got their head stuck well and truly in the sand dunes.
GoodBai
Dubai Forums Talker

Jun 04, 2006
This is getting a bit too technical for me.

I just need to know if I can be jailed and deported for farting in a smokers face.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jun 04, 2006
If he's got a box of matches or lighter in his hand at the time you get a week in hospital with scorched arse :D
GoodBai
Dubai Forums Talker

Jun 04, 2006
GoodBai wrote:And anyone who doesn't think shisha is harmful has got their head stuck well and truly in the sand dunes.

no one said anything about shisha not being harmful, driving down SZR is hamrful. What i am interested in, is the amount of harm involved and how it compares with cigarettes, cigars, and pipes. There is no research done that i know of.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 05, 2006
dbxsoul wrote:a very laudable idea. as arnie said it was tried and revoked after two days. there were a number of issues involving the implementation of the the system.

a coffee shop owner for instance will have about as much authority to fine or hold a patron who continues to smoke despite being warned as an Emaar security guard. all they can do is report the matter to the police or the municipality who whould then send out someone to fine the offender.
if you are lucky they may send someone the same week.
they may not hold or detain the person against his will - he is not even obliged to give them his name. can you imagine trying to detain a local lady in traditional dress????

secondly, most of the people who complained about the implimentation of the ban were uae nationals. this again causes all manner of problems for the propriator of the businesses who were trying to enforce the ban.

i should also point out that the ban was imposed with about 1 weeks notice - from the time it was published in the papers.

Approximatley 50% of the uae smokes.

To make the bans work here we put the responsibility on the venue not the smoker .... i.e. if a bar is found to be breaching the no smoking laws then they get fined heavily. This way it is clearly within their best interest to enforce the law and remove anyone who breaks it. There was alot of protest but when the big day came it really made very little difference - the bars etc did not lose money like they were all claiming etc

I have no problem with people having the right to smoke but it should not be at the expense of someones right not to inhale 2nd hand smoke.
ajb
Dubai chat master

Jun 05, 2006
arniegang wrote:Power to smokers

We have rights too

:P :P :P :P :P

Not when your smoke infringes another persons right to breathe clean air you don't!

If you want to pollute your lungs, do it in an enclosed box somewhere we don't have to breathe it in.

Sadly Arnie, smoke knows no boundaries.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 05, 2006
and non smokers have a choice to mix with smokers - it cuts both ways

:P :P :P :P
arniegang

Jun 05, 2006
We need a "final solution" to all these whiny non smokers.

We need to round them up and send them to some remote island off coast of Africa somewhere and that way we smokers can puff away all we want :D
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 05, 2006
Great idea Liban

Shisha's rule

8) 8) 8) 8)
arniegang

Jun 05, 2006
arniegang wrote:Great idea Liban

Shisha's rule

8) 8) 8) 8)

Woo Hoo!
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 05, 2006
ajb wrote:
To make the bans work here we put the responsibility on the venue not the smoker .... i.e. if a bar is found to be breaching the no smoking laws then they get fined heavily. This way it is clearly within their best interest to enforce the law and remove anyone who breaks it. There was alot of protest but when the big day came it really made very little difference - the bars etc did not lose money like they were all claiming etc

I have no problem with people having the right to smoke but it should not be at the expense of someones right not to inhale 2nd hand smoke.

Well to be fair, the temperature never hits 43 degrees in New Zealand as it is in Dubai today. Dubai is an indoors country, and forcing smokers into the heat is just going to make them more resistant.

How about smoking zones, and I don't mean the dingy little rooms they have at international airports. I mean designated areas where you can smoke, and designated areas where you can't. Make the areas large, liberal, air-conditioned... and hey, even let the non-smokers in.

I'll resist mentioning that they banned smoking in NZ pubs because the smell clinged to the sheeps wool. :P
^ian^

Jun 05, 2006
arniegang wrote:and non smokers have a choice to mix with smokers - it cuts both ways

:P :P :P :P

Arnie hun, I've only had dinner with you outdoors so you could smoke there. If we ever sit indoors it will have to be in the non-smoking section or there will be no dinner. :D
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Smoking Related Deaths Jun 05, 2006
On another note with respect to what is categorised as a smoking related death:

If you eat 20 cheeseburgers and 2 litres of coke a day and smoke, if you die of a heart attack, this is a smoking related death.

If you worked in an aluminium smelter and smoke, even if its the bauxite dust that kills you, the emphysima and cancer will go down as a smoking related death.

If you're a bus/truck/transport driver and frequently breathe in exhaust fumes, and smoke, and you die of restricted arteries / lung cancer - this is a smoking related death.

The fact is, you could be in all 3 of the above and NOT smoke, and still die.

It amazes me people spit daggers at smokers for passive smoke, and don't think twice of what else is in the air.
^ian^

Jun 05, 2006
kanelli wrote: If we ever sit indoors it will have to be in the non-smoking section or there will be no dinner. :D

You could always sit in the kids party area.
^ian^

Jun 05, 2006
^ian^ wrote:
kanelli wrote: If we ever sit indoors it will have to be in the non-smoking section or there will be no dinner. :D

You could always sit in the kids party area.

:?:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jun 05, 2006
As in people wouldn't be smoking there...

But then again this is Dubai.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Smoking Related Deaths Jun 05, 2006
^ian^ wrote:On another note with respect to what is categorised as a smoking related death:

If you eat 20 cheeseburgers and 2 litres of coke a day and smoke, if you die of a heart attack, this is a smoking related death.

If you worked in an aluminium smelter and smoke, even if its the bauxite dust that kills you, the emphysima and cancer will go down as a smoking related death.

If you're a bus/truck/transport driver and frequently breathe in exhaust fumes, and smoke, and you die of restricted arteries / lung cancer - this is a smoking related death.

The fact is, you could be in all 3 of the above and NOT smoke, and still die.

It amazes me people spit daggers at smokers for passive smoke, and don't think twice of what else is in the air.

Bad eating habits are another issue. No one holds a person down and force feeds them cheeseburgers. Eating cheeseburgers doesn't pollute another person's body in the near vicinity. Some governments are considering sin taxes and health initatives to reduce obesity because both obesity and smoking take a large toll on health care systems.

Have you considered the concentration of second hand smoke? If someone smokes in your face you are breathing in a higher concentration of noxious fumes. It smells bad, makes your eyes water, and causes distress of the lungs. If you are in the middle of a traffic jam on the highway or a parking garage with your windows down, then you'd experience similar unpleasantness. However, if you are inside a building with air conditioning you don't experience the same concentration of pollutants. It isn't logical to say that there are pollutants in the environment anyway, so I should be allowed to smoke indoors.

Enclosed smoking rooms are a good idea in this climate, as long as they have good air conditioning so that the smoke doesn't disturb those outside the room and it doesn't pollute the air in the larger building in general.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jun 05, 2006
Sadly Arnie 99% of the time, non-smokers don't get the choice to decide whether or not to mingle with smokers, as smokers will light up anyway taking away our choice.

That's the point. You can choose not to smoke for a couple of hours to mingle with others, but sadly we can't. If we want to go out we're forced to breathe in smoke whether we like it or not, so your point or lack there of is a non-issue.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 05, 2006
Sorry, I forgot to clarify. If someone dies of type 2 diabetes due to a poor diet, and they are a smoker, it is not considered a smoking related death. If someone dies from a stroke or heart attack and they are a smoker, it can still be considered a smoking-related death. Smoking causes a higher risk of death from hardened arteries etc. One cannot conclude that bad diet alone was the sole cause because there are plenty of people with bad eating habits who don't smoke who live a long time. You will find poor research reports that lump deaths of various causes to smoking, but I suspect those would be in the minority.

Here is a UK site that tells about the risks of smoking. http://www.givingupsmoking.co.uk/why_gi ... _a_smoker/
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jun 05, 2006
Ian, with respect, the reason non-smokers get so het up about it is that many of us find it an irritant more than anything.

If I go out and am forced to sit next to people smoking, I end up coughing, my lungs feel tight, my eyes become sore and itchy, not to mention ending up smelling like an ashtray and having to shower and wash my clothes everytime I go home. Plus the last time I went out and was surrounded by a group of smokers, constantly blowing smoke all over me, I broke out in a nasty, itchy red rash everywhere the smoke had come into contact with my bare skin.

Now imagine having to cope with this EVERY time you come into contact with cigarette smoke, not very pleasant is it? Many people are actually allergic to the smoke and have these sorts of reactions, that's why it's so horrible.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 05, 2006
Alcohol needs to be banned too....

Alcohol, like cigarettes, is a nuisance and can kill others who do not even drink. Think of drunk drivers! Even less than killing is still bad, thing of paralysis due to drunk drivers.... Or bar fights!

Plus alcohol can kill the drinker who does it in excess. Liver damage for example....
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 05, 2006
Liban wrote:Alcohol needs to be banned too....

Alcohol, like cigarettes, is a nuisance and can kill others who do not even drink. Think of drunk drivers! Even less than killing is still bad, thing of paralysis due to drunk drivers.... Or bar fights!

Plus alcohol can kill the drinker who does it in excess. Liver damage for example....

Ah but Liban, you see alcohol in moderation, particularly red wine is proven to be very good for you! It's excellent for the heart.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 05, 2006
This thread is about banning cigarettes in shopping malls (and perhaps other public places).

I don't get where the alcohol comes in. Should we ban food too because it causes all kinds of health problems when consumed in excess, just like alcohol? As you can see, we should just stick to the smoking in public issue.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jun 05, 2006
Lets just ban everything...

I hear Ottawa is contemplating banning perfume in public places....

Nazism is alive and well I see... Albeight under a different name,
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 05, 2006
Liban wrote:Lets just ban everything...

I hear Ottawa is contemplating banning perfume in public places....

Nazism is alive and well I see... Albeight under a different name,

ban perfume :lol: :lol: :lol:
thats freakin weird :!:
Sara1983
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 05, 2006
Sorry K, I was just replying to Liban's thought about banning alcohol.

Anyway smoking in malls should be banned, they're family places and children are more at risk than anyone.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 05, 2006
No worries Chocs, my post was for Liban as well.

Perfume, especially synthetic perfume can cause terrible allergies and anaphylactic shock in severly allergic people. I saw a documentary about a girl who had severe allergies so her whole school had to wear unscented body products. This girl used beets to pinken her cheeks because she couldn't use cosmetics. Can you imagine how limited her life will be trying to avoid places with all the synthetic scents! :) My mother's office is perfume free because of the patients and some coworkers who have perfume sensitivity.

I also get headaches when I am around strong synthetic perfumes, but so far Oud and other perfumes I have smelled in the malls here have been okay for me, but I think those ones come from the local perfume shops and are are made from pure essential oils.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat