Tipping

Topic locked
May 25, 2006
Ahh! Skeggy!

I can hear the call of the gulls and sniff the rich briny scent of the sewage outlet from here!

Makes me homesick....NOT!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight

Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

May 25, 2006
I would be interested to know what kind of a waiter HP was. My guess would be a very slow one by virtue of him stopping at every other table and asking each and every woman sat there to marry him :D

I'm a Brit and I reckon I would have paid the bill and left him 10 per cent... for amusement value :D
GoodBai
Dubai Forums Talker

May 26, 2006
I would have made him pay me a tip for the priviledge of serving me

arniegang

May 26, 2006
I think those dinners that HP is refering to as running away as not to pay are really runing away from HP (not to avoid paying!).
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 27, 2006
XRW-147 wrote:If Seinfeld was still on HP could make a lot of money writing scripts.

I agree to that
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Palkid7
Dubai chat master

May 27, 2006
Dubai Knight wrote:Ahh! Skeggy!

I can hear the call of the gulls and sniff the rich briny scent of the sewage outlet from here!

Makes me homesick....NOT!

Knight

I tell you something though DK - there are no better fish and chips anywhere in the world than the ones you buy at the seaside in England!! My personal favourite is Skegness - brings back lots of happy memories of the summer holidays when I was growing up!
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

May 27, 2006
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh Fish n Chips - just cant be beaten eaten out of the paper, fighting off the Seagulls whilst sat on the harbour or seafront.

Priceless
arniegang

May 27, 2006
arniegang wrote:Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh Fish n Chips - just cant be beaten eaten out of the paper, fighting off the Seagulls whilst sat on the harbour or seafront.

Priceless

Most definately!
Thats something I don't think could ever be recreated properly in Dubai - even with all their wealth
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

May 27, 2006
As a rule, if a place has already added 10% service charge then I don't tip. I want to tip on the basis of the service I've received and can't stand it when places think they have the right to charge it anyway.

I'll tip individual people based on their service and always cash, never add it onto the card bill as they won't get it.

Sadly won't tip at Emarat stations as the poor guys don't get it anyway, it goes to the management.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 27, 2006
HP wrote:
5=Pakistani and Indian: They always order the cheap food and act as they have bought the entire place. They always complain why it is so expensive. We never expected tip from them. They never order for drinks or soda , mostly they ask for "water".

6= Eastern european: They hardly have money to come inside . They usually order for one dish and couple of people share it.

5 = These are two different nationalities.

6 = You can be a little more specific, since eastern europe is fkin huge.
A64Venice
Dubai Expat Helper

May 28, 2006
Oh lets get back to fish 'n chips!

Magpie Cafe: Whitby! Best bit o'cod 'n batter in the world! And big fat chips in the paper!

Damn I'm starving!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight

May 28, 2006
Hmmm, Fish & Chips.
Like I say, they are much better at the sea side. Perhaps its the damp atmosphere, sea breeze and the gentle aroma of the North Sea that adds to the flavour of Fish & Chips??
LingaLonga Fish & Chip Shop in Skegness - The Best!!
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

May 28, 2006
Any goood Fish & Chip Shops in Dubai?
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 28, 2006
I've seen a two places-that are poles apart in distance-one is on the Jumeirah turn off on SZR next to Shangrila it is an English chippery or something (I'm driving so I don't really check it out) and the other which apparently has won some awards I think is on the Diera Al Ras turn off heading towards the corniche(???if that is what that clock thingee is called) and it looks great Sammach- but I read in the What's on guide for Eating out that there is one in Jumeirah and it is Lebanese style.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 28, 2006
More and more places are adding some stupid service charge (ie. TAX). So I am tipping less and less.

They want to force the tip out of me, well screw them if they think I will swallow that and tip more.... :P
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 28, 2006
I tip in restaurant if they don't charge tips when i bill.
also tip for delivery, especially It's very hot now. they always sweat when they knock at my door.
for petrol station, i only tip if the guy wipe the window for me.
geraintindxb
Dubai Forums Talker

Jul 09, 2006
Apparently as a westerner its our moral obligation.

http://www.7days.ae/2006/07/09/is-it-st ... o-tip.html
^ian^

Jul 09, 2006
Having waited tables in the past I can say that it means a whole lot to a person when you tip them. If someone is waiting on me I think, atleast in some small way, I've shown my appreciation. I stick to the 10% rule unless I am completely horrified with the service. Or if someone has tried to add an amount to the bill that isn't supposed to be there. That really annoys me.
PrettyPenny
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat