Are We Loosing Our Faith?

Topic locked
are we loosing our faith? May 25, 2006
Or maybe shall I say we lost it already? There are many ways we can look at how our faith has been weakened. We can look at how we pray, what are our intentions when doing good deeds, they we feel regarding Ramadan plus many others. However, I want to discuss one aspect that always comes back and haunt me; Reading the Holey Quran.

We all heard stories about the Prophet and his Sahaba's reciting Quran. Whenever they come across aaya that mentions hell fire or the torture in the grave they get terrified and start crying. In some cases they can't even continue reading the sorra. Similar but not exact pictures happen in Mecca especially in the month of Ramadan. Where Sheehk Sodees or Shoreem's voices start to break up while reciting. I also cannot forget Sheekh Sodees when he starts crying while "do3a '7atem el Quran" in Ramadan.

However that rarely happens to many people today. I am not generalizing but I could hardly remember people expressing that they were deeply affected by the words of Quran.

my question here is why? Why are we not affected by the Quran as people used to? We pray everyday and while reciting, there are no emotions at all. Even if you read directly from the Quran it's more of like reading a newspaper. Here are my hypotheses:

its a language barrier in the sense that we do not understand Arabic the way it should. One of Sahaba converted to Islam by just reading pages of Quran!

Quran needs to be studied in order for people to understand it and we are not having enough of that. Schools are not providing the needed education.

our hearts are turning into rocks!

Hiya
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: are we loosing our faith? May 25, 2006
[quote="Hiya"]Or maybe shall I say we lost it already? [quote]

Please change the we to "I" and everyone will agree with you.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 25, 2006
Schools are not providing the needed education.

oh yes they are , i mean if your talking about here in the uae , then i live in sharjah and here religion is shoved right down your throat like it or not . schools are so islamic , n' im not saying ive got somethin wrong with that , it's a muslim country after all (although i see religion stuff as a choice for each indivisual to make/follow/whateva ..im short on vocabs here..)
the religion book we study at school is a heavy one , they teach us a lot of islam , so we should'nt ... blame schools ?

i mean the Quran IS being taught .

..a lot .

maybe they should cut down on the marriage lessons n' put useful stuff instead .. :?
PARANOID
Dubai forums Addict

May 25, 2006
I am starting to think Hiya is an automated shit spewing robot
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 25, 2006
MaaaD wrote:I am starting to think Hiya is an automated shit spewing robot

You may not be too far off mate!!!

Tomorrows question I suspect is:

How many legs has a dog got??
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

May 26, 2006
Interesting to note 5 posts incl this one 53 views

Thats means there could be 48 suicides today

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

May 26, 2006
arniegang wrote:Interesting to note 5 posts incl this one 53 views

Thats means there could be 48 suicides today

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It could be a very sad day for the DubaiForum community
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

May 26, 2006
I think the US should get their hands on Hiya and send her to Syria so they can question her as part of the US war on terror :)
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 26, 2006
Hiya,

Get your money back!!!! As they obvioulsy removed the wrong part during your labatomy.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 27, 2006
its so weird he/she never posts again in the thread
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 27, 2006
Liban wrote:I think the US should get their hands on Hiya and send her to Syria so they can question her as part of the US war on terror :)

or at least use her as a method of torture on others they want to question!
ajb
Dubai chat master

May 27, 2006
Once again the blokes trash the post - or is it burying your heads in the sand, because you don't have the balls to put your tiny brains to work to come up with a decent reply?

In answer you Hiya's question, my answer is YES! Simply because in many of today's societies there is no room or time for religion and faith, plus many are so outdated, many people just can't relate to it.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 27, 2006
Chocoholic wrote: no room or time for religion and faith, plus many are so outdated, many people just can't relate to it.

I think there is a difference between being religious and SEEN to be practicing religion. For example, today's society may not give a person time to go to church/mosque but that doesn't diminish the importance of faith to them.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

http://magneticvibration.blogspot.com/2006/05/faith.html May 30, 2006
sarahamdy
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

May 31, 2006
MaaaD wrote:its so weird he/she never posts again in the thread

Yeah, how uncharacteristic of him/her to do that :lol:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jun 02, 2006
i don't think it is necessary for people to cry when they listen to religious text claim they have real faith, i mean if some people get so emotional then it's their business but it is surely not a characteristic sign of being a better person to be melodramatic.

why is all this focus on tears and sadness, why should we base our faith on the fear of torture?

please have a look at this:

do you think that was good?

maybe the more important question is why people are becoming increasingly hypocritical despite apparent signs of being more religious, why do they cheat and lie and speak badly about others? religion is supposed to make you a better person, isn't it?
oldhippie
Dubai Forum User

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums