DSL In Dubai -> 384K/sec - Help Needed

Topic locked
DSL in Dubai -> 384K/sec - help needed Sep 27, 2003
Hello everyone, and especially those, who are signed up for DSL connection in UAE !

Today I went to the Etisalat Centre in Dubai. I decided to sign up for the cheapest DSL line available, so I asked the price for the 384k/s connection (the slowest one they got). They told me that Al Shamil DSL service would be my only choice. Now, I was prepared for a price of about 500 total or less as the first charge. So imagine my surprise, when the receptionist told me I HAVE TO PAY APPROXIMATELY 1000 Dhs, including the modem purchase and the installation, of course. And then I'd have to pay 250dhs a month as a fixed charge. I said I'll think about it; so now I am really thinking:
IS THIS COST JUSTIFIED?
the man gave me the price list:

DSL Installation Charge (one time)............................200Dhs
=======================================
External USB DSL modem.........................................275Dhs
=======================================
Monthly charge (Modem purchased)...........................250Dhs

TOTAL.....................................................................725Dhs

So what am I paying those 275Dhs for?

People who know something about this that I don't, people who are signed up to DSL ANYWHERE in the UAE! Please help me with this, so I could understand if I have any other choice of fast connection, and whether I have to pay this much money and what for exactly. Just let's share experience.

P.S: I didn't get any useful information when I dialled 800 6 100, so I am relying on your knowledge and experience.

Thanks in advance for answering,

Michael Dawson

Michael Dawson

Sep 28, 2003
They may have different type of DSL modems some of them may be more expensive.

2 months ago I tried to sign up for a DSL connection but in Jebel Ali area.
I went to etisalat, completed the application, gave them the copy of the documents. They told me that in 10 days someone will come and set up everything.
Nobody came. I still don't have internet connection I tried to call them many times and nobody is answering the phone. I even send them a fax with no results.

Finaly I gave up. :?
And etisalat is the only internet provider in Dubai as far as I know. :(
Andyba
Dubai Forum Admin

Sep 30, 2003
Hi Andyba, :)

Did they tell you how much you have to pay for everything?
Michael Dawson

Sep 30, 2003
No.
They told me that they will send a bill or something like this.
Andyba
Dubai Forum Admin

dsl charges Oct 07, 2003
I have DSL (Al Shamil) and pay 250 AED per month, which I feel is high as I don't use the Internet as much. Dial up is too slow for downloads. Unfortunately, I paid approximately the same amt as I didn't have any other choice. I guess its the price we pay for having only one ISP :cry:
Ali
alirh
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: dsl charges Oct 08, 2003
alirh wrote:Unfortunately, I paid approximately the same amt as I didn't have any other choice. Ali

Alirh, what do you mean when you say the same amt?
Was the amount 1000 dhs?
Thanks.
Andyba
Dubai Forum Admin

dsl charges Oct 08, 2003
Yes, I ended up paying the 725 AED initially and pay AED 250 every month. The service is great though, customer service was very helpful in the initial setup. No problems with the DSL speed either.
Ali
alirh
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Oct 09, 2003
Hm..
So I believe 275 dirhams Michael was talking about was for software setup or something?

BTW do you need any specific documents for connecting?
Is it possible to connect if you have your own modem?
Andyba
Dubai Forum Admin

dsl Oct 09, 2003
Yeah, the 275 are for the equipment. You can buy your own as well but they seem to be just as expensive. I found it much easier to get everything from Etisalat. They require original passport, and residence visa copy.
Ali
alirh
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Oct 10, 2003
Um..
I think.. Etisalat also asks for residence contract... If i'm not mistaken of course.
Artisto
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat