New York, Best City In The World.

Topic locked
Apr 28, 2006
Concord - I blame the media more than the movies. I was apalled at the daily reportings of shootings in NY (and Conneticut for that matter) when I visited.

And the stats speak for themselves.

I think no one would argue that in terms of personal and family/kid safety, Dubai comes off more favourably than NYC (in fact, I'd be hard pressed to think of a major city that doesn't... perhaps Baghdad? :) )

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 28, 2006
I was surprised to learn that new york is one of the safest "large" cities in the USA. Even "safety" has become a media hype. If enought people repeat something about a place then it becomes that. Prime example, mention "middle east" to most americans and guess what? An overwhelming majority (90% perhaps) associate it with: unrest, terrorism, bakcwardness, behadings (thanks to Iraq), etc. (Dubai not being part of it but most americans don't know that and with the DWP fiasco Dubai is still lumped together...).
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 28, 2006
Concord - safest large city makes me wonder what the others are like! :)

Bowling for Colombine had a great contrast of a Canadian city vs Detroit - literally across the the lake from each other, contrasting the number of gun related killings!

Just to do a quick reality check and to ensure I wasn't being brainwashed by Hollywood, I did a Google search and the following news article from just a few days ago cropped up:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massac ... n_control/

"Menino said he met recently with a sixth-grade class in Boston in which nine out of 10 pupils said they knew where they could find a gun. The 73 homicides in Boston last year marked the highest number in 10 years, he said."

I know NYC is not Boston.... but I hazard a guess that there are more killings in NYC than Boston..?

Here in Dubai, I can't legally own a gun and I suspect no one in my daughter's school will know where they can lay their hands on a gun.

But hey, perhaps NYC is safer.. Dubai is sunnier. :)

cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 28, 2006
On my visits to New York the one thing I have always felt is safe. High-visibility policing and zero tolerance seem to work. Of course it has warts, doesn't any city, but the place has so much style and such a buzz about it that the wow factor grips most people who visit.

As a bloke, you don't get accosted by prostitutes on a night out as much in NYC as opposed to Dubai, it has real shopping, art and culture as opposed to the kitsch of Dubai and, as far as I am aware, New York doesn't have gigantic slave labour camps in the area or a big people trafficking trade.

Dubai, which has grown up at an incredible rate, has its worth with great opportunities, less crime and the chance to rake in the bucks in the sunshine but, as a city, it's not in the same league, in my book.
GoodBai
Dubai Forums Talker

Apr 29, 2006
New York doesn't have gigantic slave labour camps in the area or a big people trafficking trade.

No NY just off-shores their slave labour. Out of sight out of mind
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 29, 2006
Both cities have their charm, but I prefer Dubai. I like the beach here.
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 29, 2006
scarlet wrote:
New York doesn't have gigantic slave labour camps in the area or a big people trafficking trade.

Scarlet,

Did you finish the joint yet? What the hell are you talking about?
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 07, 2006
I've lived in Dubai for about 20 yrs and been in NY for 4 yrs.

and its a really simple equation = Dubai sucks b@lls.

Speak of terrorism, Dubai is way more corrupt than NY. You can get away with anything if you got the contacts. Not in NY. Dubai just does a good job in hiding it from the public eye. but once you live here for a dame long time and get to know ppl workin in police, immigration, dubai govt = you'll know exactly what really goes on here.

New York has become a very safe place over the past 10 yrs thanks to its previous mayor.

NY is more expensive, but it's pretty easy to find a decent paying job. Dubai...4gettaboutiT. In terms of salary : expense ratio = NY is cheaper.

Discrimination: Im Indian. I've never had a problem making friends with americans (italians, hispanic) or even dating them. And no they werent hoes, even though some of them were as hot as the supermodels over here but down to earth and real ppl. When it comes to working: I get paid for what I'm worth and not for the color of my skin.

Social life : NY rules period. Ppl are real not like the glass fish here in DXB.

Freedom: no1 understands that concept here in dubai.

I can write a whole freakin book on NY vs DXB but its really pointless. Gettin back to the main point of this thread, yeh I absolutely feel that NYC is the best city in the world. Its real, got ppl from every corner of the globe, has all 4 seasons, has 1 of the best clubs and one of the best places to make money (i think).

Finally, I just cant wait to get back to NY coz im tired of the 2 inch mentality that Dubai lives on.
redbullny
Dubai Forum Visitor

May 07, 2006
What I find about Dubai is not may people refer to it with what I would call real affection. They like the opportunities and the lifestyle under the sun (for part of the year) but there doesn't seem to be a great deal of genuine warmth for the place. The words "fake" and "bubble" are used quite a lot. You'll find a lot of warmth and affection for New York and an almost fierce loyalty for the place.
GoodBai
Dubai Forums Talker

May 07, 2006
GoodBai wrote:What I find about Dubai is not may people refer to it with what I would call real affection. They like the opportunities and the lifestyle under the sun (for part of the year) but there doesn't seem to be a great deal of genuine warmth for the place. The words "fake" and "bubble" are used quite a lot. You'll find a lot of warmth and affection for New York and an almost fierce loyalty for the place.

goodbai
very valid point...i think becoz NY is an old city...with a lot of history...now i am not saying i advocate whats happening in the US today...but NY is and has always been a cultural icon and bench mark for other urban megacities to follow...where else could you soak in all kinds of different influences in the span of a day...the more i remember my trip...the more fond i grow of the times i had there...
constantine
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jun 10, 2006
Every city in the world has its own appeal. NYC and Dubai are totally different, but both have advantages and disadvantages.
Majestic
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jun 10, 2006
MaaaD wrote:The question of "best city" is a stupid one in my opinion. The best city for one person could be the worst nightmare for another and vice versa.

But its obvious that Dubai and New York are not in the same league to be compared. The population of NYC is double the population of the whole UAE...

Personally i dont like NYC, i prefer Boston or DC in the east coast.

I agree with Maad, this is like comparing apples and oranges. In my opinion I liked London over NYC. I guess it is because I have lived in NYC and I was touring London. Sometimes when you live in a place for too long you tend to get bored of it.
A64Venice
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 11, 2006
New York is amazing if you have the patience for it. There is so much to see and it seems like it is neverending. There is a great variety of cultures all mixed into one and the fashion scene is phenomenal!
leelola
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2006
Having been to New York (my close friends live there), having lived in London and now living in Dubai, each has their own individual charms.

I couldn't say which was my favourite City as they are all so close. I have a genuine love for London, being home. I liked New York, but I think I love the idea of NYC and not for the actual place. I didn't get the buzz walking through times square like I do walking down Oxford St, even though I'd walked down Oxford St a thousand times.

Dubai is a new city and it's history and culture will, within time. flourish. However, it is a fascinating place. And everywhere has to start somewhere. New Yorks Skyscrapers haven't been there since the beginning of time. There are many things to discover here and I know I feel lucky to be here...
Princess Banana Hammock
Dubai Forums Talker

Jun 26, 2006
Concord wrote:
scarlet wrote:

Scarlet,

Did you finish the joint yet? What the hell are you talking about?

I think scarlet was referring to the fact that most US companies manufacture products using cheap labour out in asia.

The point being that although people find the treatment and use of cheap labour in the M.E. shocking, it's not like Europe and America don't also exploit such labour - just not on their doorstep.

Back to the topic of this thread. NY is pretty cool - but I could never live there. I'd choose London or Dubai over the US anyday.
Wonderwoman
Dubai Forum Visitor

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums