What's The Story With Empty/closed Swimming Pools?

Topic locked
What's the story with empty/closed swimming pools? Apr 18, 2006
Folks,

My building in the marina has a very nice roof top pool but it has been empty for months with no satisfactory answer as to when it will be filled and can be used. The "answer" from "management" has thus far been that they are dealing with the municipality, blah, blah. I understand there was some unfortunate incident with a kid drowing in the past and it may have something to do with it (but that was in an open pond/lake). Anyone else have problems with closed/empty pools?

Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 18, 2006
I encountered this problem twice concord! First, at a villa in Jumeirah, where the landlord kept promising to 'clean it up soon', and yet we saw nothing. Now at my residence behind burjuman, it's the same, an 'uncleaned pool with an unknown future..' Summertime makes it hard to understand that there's a neglected pool up there! Very frustrating really. I'm not sure how you can deal with it except for nagging their (whoever's in-charge) &#$% off.
beachbelle
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 18, 2006
My impression was that there was some citywide "moritorium" on openning the pools pending some "ruling" regarding whether or not all pools need to have lifeguards, or not. I think requiring life guards at each pool regardles of size or location is foolish. I can see a need for a lifeguard at a beach or public pool but not in a private building (parents should be responsible for "lifeguarding" their children, etc.).

Nevertheless, I don't know whether the "municipality" angle is simply an excuse for not filling the pool.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 18, 2006
Conno, I swim almost every evening in my pool mate. And its only next door to you.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 18, 2006
OK i can clear this one up.

As it happens i know which tower you are on about, and was in that block in February.

The reason why the pool is empty has nothing to do with Safety. It is because when the storms came the pool overflowed, and flooded all the penthouse appartments.

The flooding was so severere it knocked out all the lifts and the top 8 floors suffered bad water damage.

I would imagine they are doing remedial work to the top 8 floors before refilling the pool.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Apr 18, 2006
arniegang.

Thanks for that. You are right on. When I first moved to the 15th floor I noticed water damage in one of the bedrooms. I thought it was strange since I could not imagine there being any bathroom/chicken directly above that spot (pipe risers, etc.). But it makes perfect sense that flooding from above (the building is 34 stories) caused the damage.

That was the reason for my question because from the same empty pools I could see other filled pools below (including XWR's) and thought the explanation by "management" was a load of BS.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 18, 2006
C, u can always come by my place until ur building gets its acts together :)
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 18, 2006
Thanks XRW.

Is getting warmer by the minute.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 18, 2006
No wukkas mate.

Yeah, indeed and the water is getting nicer each day ;)
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 18, 2006
Congrats and hello btw Concord. I am also your neighbour but not there at the mo.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat