Double Standard !!!

Topic locked
Double Standard !!! Apr 02, 2006
Can anyone tell me why there is a double standard salary situation?!!!! One for Europeans and North American citizens and a way lower one for the rest of the world as if they are the scum of the earth !!!!! :angryfire:

Wafaey
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 02, 2006
sorry wafaey.. you are forgetting the third one.. there are three standards according to my categorization... the first one is same as yours.. the second is for Gulf and Arabic speaking and third and last one for south asians and south east asians..
BTW hi.. its first time I'm responding to your post.. :)
Jupiter
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Double Standard !!! Apr 02, 2006
Wafaey wrote:Can anyone tell me why there is a double standard salary situation?!!!! One for Europeans and North American citizens and a way lower one for the rest of the world as if they are the scum of the earth !!!!! :angryfire:

Welcome to Dubai!

Try having your own business! That is the 5th and lowest category of all!

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Apr 02, 2006
I'm from Egypt and I have been offered 25% of what a western passport holder would be making and I'm freaken upset :violent1: :protest:
Wafaey
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 02, 2006
Waf

its just the way it is, its not personal
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Apr 02, 2006
I know it isn't personal and I have nothing against western passport holders but it is very unfair and believe that u would agree with me Arnie.
I just want an answer why should western passport holder get paid at leats 4 if not 5 or 6 times more than ppl from the rest of the world despite the following:
1. Same qualifications.
2. Don't speak the native language of the country.
3. NO knowledge of any native culture or costumes.

Can anyone working in HR give me a reason beside the passport :?: :!:
Wafaey
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 02, 2006
I think it is because western companies feel more secure with western people dont know why.I think if some one is good they should be paid in relation to that not what race they are.Agree with you fully I think it is BS
uaeaussie
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Apr 02, 2006
Wafaey wrote:I know it isn't personal and I have nothing against western passport holders but it is very unfair and believe that u would agree with me Arnie.
I just want an answer why should western passport holder get paid at leats 4 if not 5 or 6 times more than ppl from the rest of the world despite the following:
1. Same qualifications.
2. Don't speak the native language of the country.
3. NO knowledge of any native culture or costumes.

Can anyone working in HR give me a reason beside the passport :?: :!:

it's probably the accent which matters... :roll:
ajoy
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Apr 02, 2006
i think its all about how you negotiate...if you think you are worthy of it....you shud say straight forward....and if the company thinks that you are valueable for them they will take you...irrespective of your race, gender, colour of your skin.....
cadmus
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 02, 2006
Wafaey,

It is not totally Black picture.
It depends on the company, some do this type of categorization, others don't, i'm Egyptian and was recruited from Egypt (although i'm a "europoean" passport holder and exist here as European) but when i got the offer, it didn't specify anything and after acceptace the question from the "HR which passport you want to apply with?" and i was surprised as my manager after working for 2 weeks asking me "Oh you got a european passport?" so he really didn't know.

Secondly, when this categorization take place.

To attract Europeans with their lifestyle, they would pay them 3 times their original salary, Tax free so they accept and come here.

To attract Arabs, or Middle easterns (GCC national excluded) they would offer 3-4 times their salaries for them to come. needless to mention TAX FREE, but in our region taxes are not like those of Europe :wink:

doing these calculations, you will end up with:
European salary in dubai = 2-3 X Middle Eastern Salary = 4-6 X south east Asia including Pakistan, India, Bangladish.

Needless to mention that in india alot of unemployment, and if employed (on daily basis) their pay would be a meal. (speaking of real eye witness experience)

So in the End, all should be happy to get what they can't get in their home country, but in the same time...... if we kept looking at each others salary, we wouldn't ever be satisfied.

and in the end, you find that The third category DO SAVE MONEY but you can never see it, but they try to invest it and buy real estate to generate cash.

The Second category, even do like the third category, OR live good, a life they can never afford in their own countries.

The First category, live the same life they live in their own country, But spend more on the lifestyle, but not on Car, or Fancy House.

Well, these were my 2 cents, alot of generatlization, but....... :roll: this is what all this conv is about.

cheers
yshimy

Apr 02, 2006
My salary and job were offered to me based on my experience. The fact that I am an Arab and a Muslim seemed to influence them much more than any other fact.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 02, 2006
hey liban what happened to your face....had a fight with wife :wink: just joking
cadmus
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 02, 2006
LOL....

I am changing my avatar and fcuked it up...

Hold on a few minutes and the cute one i wanted to put will come up.

You will all agree thats its ADORABLE!!! :)
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 02, 2006
(out of topic)

liban, do you customize the avater from online site, or you just put any photo you like?
yshimy

Apr 02, 2006
yshimy wrote:(out of topic)

liban, do you customize the avater from online site, or you just put any photo you like?

No, I just put any photo I like and try to crop it as per the limitations of this forum SW.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 02, 2006
man, remove this angel gurl..... your posts should be up to it :D which i know you will not handel to leech yourself
yshimy

Apr 02, 2006
LOL :lol:

This cute little darling is what all people should be like.

Especially some of the people on this forum. They know who they are...
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 02, 2006
Seriously liban, this one is too cute for you :P ...try something else...that kid with a joint was better...
cadmus
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 02, 2006
To the OP, where did you go to university? In Egypt? Is it an internationally recognized degree?

Not all credentials are created equal. If your degree is internationally recognized than the other factor is simply supply and demand.

Until Egyptians like you start getting pissed off with the salaries and refuse to come or your country gets its shit together and grows a strong economy, salaries will be low.

Nobody to blame but yourselves really.
Zapata
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 02, 2006
Zapata wrote:To the OP, where did you go to university? In Egypt? Is it an internationally recognized degree?

Not all credentials are created equal. If your degree is internationally recognized than the other factor is simply supply and demand.

Until Egyptians like you start getting pissed off with the salaries and refuse to come or your country gets its shit together and grows a strong economy, salaries will be low.

Nobody to blame but yourselves really.

Well I am not Egyptian. That being said, Zapata, if you are Mexican like your name would suggest, then you need to look at your own sad example of a country before speaking about other countries.

Now that I got that out my system. Egypt has many internal problems. The American propped dictatorship of Hosni Mubarak just exacerbates the matter.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 02, 2006
Man, what you are saying exactly as telling South East Asian's and indian's not to come on bad offers...

Man realize reality, if it is not better for them, they would have never came. so ..... it is better for them to come even with salaries less than europeans.
yshimy

Apr 02, 2006
yshimy, I agree to a point - for example, for cleaning, driving, construction and food service industry perhaps. However, university educated people who are professionals in a field should be paid the same as the Westerners who are working in the same company. Each person is an expat, and each person is valuable to the company.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Apr 02, 2006
Great :D agree, hope the world is really fair, i would be driving a ferrari.

note: Nice avater :D
yshimy

Apr 02, 2006
yshimy wrote:Man, what you are saying exactly as telling South East Asian's and indian's not to come on bad offers...

Man realize reality, if it is not better for them, they would have never came. so ..... it is better for them to come even with salaries less than europeans.

you are right but there's another scenerio with those poor labourers.. who pay a lot of money to the agents in their country to get UAE visa... they mention wrong figures of salaries to the candidates plus accomodation plus this and that.. but when they come to actual situation its horrible for them to live in dh. 600/month and save and send to their families. and the fact is this that they can earn double of this money in their own country, but two things put them in the mess .. one is ignorance and other the craze of going abroad !
Jupiter
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Apr 02, 2006
Jupiter wrote:
yshimy wrote:Man, what you are saying exactly as telling South East Asian's and indian's not to come on bad offers...

you are right but there's another scenerio with those poor labourers.. who pay a lot of money to the agents in their country to get UAE visa... they mention wrong figures of salaries to the candidates plus accomodation plus this and that.. but when they come to actual situation its horrible for them to live in dh. 600/month and save and send to their families. and the fact is this that they can earn double of this money in their own country, but two things put them in the mess .. one is ignorance and other the craze of going abroad !

I didn't know that this was happening all the time. Is the salary really less than what the companies first promised? I do think the salaries should be raised though, because 600/month is too low. This country needs better labour laws and worker protection!
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Apr 02, 2006
i know people doing 1500 a month "not asians" save money and go home and marry and open their own business "mainly a low end cafe"

Don't be surprised

Last night i saw a man in Ibn battuta mall (11 pm) he collects the trollies that people leave, and take the 1 dhm from it.. very wise man, i gave him some money, because this is a man who try to find a way of making it instead of begging.

cheers
yshimy

Apr 02, 2006
Don't forget to factor in the living conditions guys. There are these labour camps, and people sharing rooms. There is little space, little privacy. I was reading that some have food provided, and it is poor quality and sometimes expensive. It is shelter over their heads and food in their bellies, but the living conditions could be better.

The taxi drivers have a raw deal here - getting fined from their company all the time for the smallest things.

When there is so much wealth here, I don't know why it can't be spread around a little more than it currently is.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Apr 02, 2006
Well I am not Egyptian. That being said, Zapata, if you are Mexican like your name would suggest, then you need to look at your own sad example of a country before speaking about other countries.

Now that I got that out my system. Egypt has many internal problems. The American propped dictatorship of Hosni Mubarak just exacerbates the matter.

Nope. Not Mexican. Mexico is clearly fvcked up. It's fvcked and the Mexicans have nobody to blame but themselves.

Actually, just stirring some shite here really. I agree that it is not so black and white. Westerners enjoy certain priveledges to this day because of the successful rape and pillage of the planet in years past. But, they did have the balls and the ambition to do it (however barbaric it may have been). So they reap the benefits.

Back to stirring the pot though. How much does a university education cost in Egypt? How difficult is it to get the degree? How knowledgeable are graduates? Is it on an international level? If the answers to these questions are not good does it surprise you, or should it offend you, that an Egyptian would earn less than a "Western" graduate?
Zapata
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 02, 2006
kanelli wrote:I didn't know that this was happening all the time. Is the salary really less than what the companies first promised? I do think the salaries should be raised though, because 600/month is too low. This country needs better labour laws and worker protection!

yes dude.. regretfully its true..
once i was in labour office and one 'Abaab' brought his servant for signing the agreement... the person sitting on the desk asked the servant that he is really agreed to work on dh. 400/mo .. he was quiet and like didn't utter a single word.. his master said "es yes.. he told me before.. yallah finish.. i need to go..!"
I was like hit my head on the wall !
Jupiter
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Apr 02, 2006
The opportunity cost for Americans, Europeans is a good reason they will only come for higher pays. Now why the companies pay them when they can get equally good for lower pays is another story. Language is one good reason, public perception another one. Why do most of us give more mental goodwill to a company that has a 'white' receptionist, as compared to a subcontinent or Far Eastern receptionist?

People tend to pay premiums for stuff they buy from 'whites'....all this public perception has a big role why companies pay higher to the 'whites'.

Societal thinking has to change before anything can happen. It is happening slowly and surely these days though. I know for one that I got a job applied for by mainly 'white' candidates and the package was fixed advertised in advance. and I am subcontinent, weaker sex(!), married(!).

Capability, experience, performance and the way you sell yourself is starting to matter more these days
AFG
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat