Newby To The Romance Forum

Topic locked
Mar 27, 2006
"we can hold our breath...just like when we ride a taxi... "

kitster, why do u hold ur breath when riding a taxi? are you afraid thetaxi driver might rape you?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

vanillashake
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 27, 2006
kanelli wrote:Do you think the problem is that many single men in Dubai expect the women to look well-put-together and stunningly beautiful? They should be slim gym bodied, have expensive and flattering hair styles, full make-up, finger and toenails perfectly manicured, desiger clothes and accessories etc.? If these men want expensively coiffed women, then they should realise that it takes time and money for them to look that way. As well, if women are willing to spend that much time and money on their appearance, then it also tells that they are quite concerned with outer beauty and may be less concerned with inner beauty. This kind of woman might also want a man who is equally concerned with outer appearance and she'll be looking for a fit guy with designer clothes and a nice car etc. Of course, I'm doing a wee bit of stereotyping here - but I think that this is the case sometimes, especially in a place like Dubai where there is so much money flying around. Men and women may want each other to "look the part" so to speak.

........and some of us are happy with a nice pair of t*ts, a short skirt, great legs and 4" stilettoes

:lol: :lol:
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

HUH? Mar 27, 2006
serious? want an honest answer? they stink...BAD
Kitster
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Mar 27, 2006
kanelli wrote:Do you think the problem is that many single men in Dubai expect the women to look well-put-together and stunningly beautiful? They should be slim gym bodied, have expensive and flattering hair styles, full make-up, finger and toenails perfectly manicured, desiger clothes and accessories etc.? If these men want expensively coiffed women, then they should realise that it takes time and money for them to look that way. As well, if women are willing to spend that much time and money on their appearance, then it also tells that they are quite concerned with outer beauty and may be less concerned with inner beauty. This kind of woman might also want a man who is equally concerned with outer appearance and she'll be looking for a fit guy with designer clothes and a nice car etc. Of course, I'm doing a wee bit of stereotyping here - but I think that this is the case sometimes, especially in a place like Dubai where there is so much money flying around. Men and women may want each other to "look the part" so to speak.

Interesting point Kanelli,

Grooming is important, as first impressions count, but it has to go beyond the exterior condition. If you are looking at a second hand car, the exterior could be in pristine condition and can be 'augmented' to appeal to the individual taste, even the interior can look and feel immaculate...however would you buy it if you found that the engine, the single most important part, is broken or faulty or not running well?

I think that what I'm trying to say is that, yes, a girls exterior appearance can be made attractive and we all expect someone to make an effort, both male and female, and this attracts us to someone initially, but it is not the thing that keeps that attraction alive. Yeah, a shallow, attractive woman will look for a similarly polished male exterior first as they have an ideal in their own mind. There are too many women here, who may be more sensible, but see only the shiny, glossy male as there are so many to choose from.

What about us slightly beaten up, dented, fully tested and race winning models who still have a fully working motor?

Vroom?

Knight
Dubai Knight

Mar 27, 2006
:lol:

Well, I think Dubai sets a bit of a higher standard. People do pay attention to Louis Vuitton handbags, Prada shoes, Porsches, Armani suits etc. Back in many of our home countries the bar for "well-groomed" would be a little more reasonable - like, combed hair, clean Polo shirt and Dockers khaki pants with clean shoes of any type. :lol:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Mar 27, 2006
kanelli wrote::lol:

Well, I think Dubai sets a bit of a higher standard. People do pay attention to Louis Vuitton handbags, Prada shoes, Porsches, Armani suits etc. Back in many of our home countries the bar for "well-groomed" would be a little more reasonable - like, combed hair, clean Polo shirt and Dockers khaki pants with clean shoes of any type. :lol:

Combed hair?

Damn! Maybe that is where I have been going wrong! I must go and buy some! :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Mar 27, 2006
See, there you go! Let us know how many good quality women you snag for a date after you get the comb into action :wink: :lol:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Mar 27, 2006
K

I really USED to like you

:wink: :wink: :wink:
arniegang

Mar 27, 2006
I know, I don't have a Louis Vuitton handbag. I'm too low-class for you :cry:

kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Mar 27, 2006
kanelli wrote:I know, I don't have a Louis Vuitton handbag. I'm too low-class for you :cry:

ok i settle for the mini skirt and the high stilletoes then

:D :D :D
arniegang

Mar 27, 2006
Then I'd be a full foot taller than you :lol: :wink: (Kidding!)
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Mar 27, 2006
kanelli wrote:See, there you go! Let us know how many good quality women you snag for a date after you get the comb into action :wink: :lol:

Comb? I was thinking superglue!!! :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Mar 27, 2006
kanelli wrote:Then I'd be a full foot taller than you :lol: :wink: (Kidding!)

hate you hate you hate you

ok i bring a box or a small pair of steps then :P

arniegang

Mar 27, 2006
Hi All,

This is a really interesting chat- am enjoying seeing different views of opinion! Dubai Knight- I didn't really mean you would hand over the villa keys straight away- I was joking- I have a sense of humour hahahahha!

Kanelli- I liked what you wrote- I don't fit into that stereotype....have about one manicure a year and am definately not a Jumeirah Jane! I can get covered in mud (no rude remarks you know what I mean) and be happy or poshed up and go to a Ball...my line is that I scrub up well! If someone is just into looks then they can bog off as far as I'm concerned- it's what's inside that counts!

Dubai Knight- you asked where to go to meet nice normal girls....here's some tips- nowhere too pretentious- I would rather stick needles in my eyes than go to Sho Chos or Boudoir- no disrespect intended- just I feel out of place there so won't go....try places like Irish Village, Carters, Ginseng, Scarletts (but not on ladies night,) Harry Ghattos Karoake bar- believe me you would be surprised- singing breaks down barriers!! Avoid anywhere that is an all you can drink while the sun is still shining!!

How would you actually approach a girl- that may be the issue- talk me through it baby talk me through it!

Look forward to hearing your opinions!

Vixnax
vixnax
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 27, 2006
vixnax wrote:Hi All,

Kanelli- I liked what you wrote- I don't fit into that stereotype....have about one manicure a year and am definately not a Jumeirah Jane! I can get covered in mud (no rude remarks you know what I mean) and be happy or poshed up and go to a Ball...my line is that I scrub up well! If someone is just into looks then they can bog off as far as I'm concerned- it's what's inside that counts!

Vixnax

Whoooooo Hooooooo you are definately invited on the next forum meet. You can teach Gabs, K and EJ how to mud wrestle.

:D :D
arniegang

whats inside... Mar 27, 2006
"its whats inside that counts" ....a skeleton? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kitster
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Mar 27, 2006
Dubai Knight- you asked where to go to meet nice normal girls....here's some tips- nowhere too pretentious- I would rather stick needles in my eyes than go to Sho Chos or Boudoir- no disrespect intended- just I feel out of place there so won't go....try places like Irish Village, Carters, Ginseng, Scarletts (but not on ladies night,) Harry Ghattos Karoake bar- believe me you would be surprised- singing breaks down barriers!! Avoid anywhere that is an all you can drink while the sun is still shining!!

How would you actually approach a girl- that may be the issue- talk me through it baby talk me through it!

Look forward to hearing your opinions!

Vixnax[/quote]

Madre Mios!

Now there is a challenge! What do you want to hear? A litany of terrible pick up lines?

Frequent all of the above good venues (except for Harry Ghattos as all the dog owners in Dubai complained last time I sang Karaoke!!!) Never crossed the portals of ShoCho or Boudoir and I don't feel slippery enough! After reports from some mates who were at the World Cup, the all-you-can-drink venues are definitely off limits. Apparently there were a lot of 'tired and emotional' ladies at the event?

Umm...need to think about how I would ideally make an approach to a 'well scrubbed up' lady at Carters or Scarletts. Depends if the music is too loud and if it would be possible to cut a suitably good looking candidate from the crowd. Past experience has always had them in social groups and the first barrier is getting to chat without all their mates leering in. Say that happens, then I suppose the first thing to do is introduce myself and find out the name of my particular angel I have set my eye on. Won't do to spend the evening calling her 'Luv' or 'Darlin' as that stinks! An American ex-friend of mine called all girls 'luv' as he thought he was an Anglophile and most sensible girls blanked him as a result.

After that, I cannot say that I would have any particular formula or winning technique... If I find something particularly striking or attractive about her (not mentioning anything lewd, crude or obvious!) such as fabulous eyes, nice clothes/shoes/accessory, nice hair style...then obviously a compliment needs to be paid.

An opening line needs to be suitably interesting to attract her attention and yet nothing as deep as "Do you find the intrinsic juxtaposition of alizarin crimson and ultramarine in Rothko's later work to be a complimentary antithesis or merely a subsequential development of his horizontal verdant series?" I think that is taking it a bit too far?

The cheesy lines only seem to work for other guys, or those who have the front to carry it off. Mostly dodgy geezers!

"Hello..." might be a good starter?

How am I doing so far? At least I probably won't have got my face slapped at this junction...

Knight
Dubai Knight

Mar 27, 2006
Dubai Knight- you have made me laugh so much now!! How did we get on to this- not like I am the dating guru being suddenly single myself yet again!!!!! You sound absolutely fine- like a nice decent bloke...just not met the right one yet- she's just round the next corner honest!!!

Anyway platitudes aside...your bit about your Yankee mate made me laugh- my USA mate here called all girls babydoll so he didn't have to remember their name- soooo funny how your mate tried to anglify it!! (is anglify a word??? don't know!)

All I know is really there are a lot of nice girls out there and a lot of nice guys- you just seem to have to go through a lot of c**p to find them...here is especially.

To quote Paul Calfe..."there's a glint of gold in every pile of sh*t....it may only be part of a Caramac wrapper- but it's there!" Not as intelligent as your quote but succint and to the point!

ArnieGang....mud wrestling...purlease...I said no comments...hahahha! I meant I am not one of these fancy- pancy maidens who can't go camping cos they won't be able to plug their hair dryer in...but thanks for inviting me into the gang!

Kitster- I meant- don't judge a book by its cover!

Dubai Knight- all I can say is don't give up hope- if you become bitter and disillusioned it really affects you and how you come across and you might miss Miss Right- she might be just under you nose....be like me- eternal romantic but with practicality and jerk- radar on full power! Just shout NEXT!!! and keep on moving ever forward...only way to go really!

Bye for now,

vixnax
vixnax
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 27, 2006
just not met the right one yet- she's just round the next corner honest!!!

Which corner?

To quote Paul Calfe..."there's a glint of gold in every pile of sh*t....it may only be part of a Caramac wrapper- but it's there!"

LOVE this! Still not a very good opening line though!

Dubai Knight- all I can say is don't give up hope- if you become bitter and disillusioned it really affects you and how you come across and you might miss Miss Right- she might be just under you nose....be like me- eternal romantic but with practicality and jerk- radar on full power! Just shout NEXT!!! and keep on moving ever forward...only way to go really!

I am also an eternal romantic and the only bitter and twisted I can handle comes in a glass...with ice! You will never hear me cry "Next!" but that is because I have never worked in a dole office or a dentists surgery!

Moving steadily onward in an upwardly mobile direction whilst looking from side to side to check for girls under my nose...

Knight
Dubai Knight

Mar 27, 2006
Hahhahahahah...the Paul Calfe quote was NOT supposed to be a chat up line....but if someone used it on me I would be on floor laughing!! In a good way of course! Not many girls would get it though!!

The corner...you know the one....just round it...when you were a kid going on hols and your dad's driving and you in back asking "are we nearly there yet?" standard reply!

The NEXT thing- is supposed to mean don't dwell on rejects you meet...was not suggesting you had a career in doctor's sugery.

Try Harry Ghattos....don't sing if you don't want to....just a good laugh in there and people are less stuck up- singing breaks down the barriers and people chat...you have to clap for everyone though- it's the Karoake Code of Conduct!
vixnax
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 27, 2006
The corner...you know the one....just round it...when you were a kid going on hols and your dad's driving and you in back asking "are we nearly there yet?" standard reply!

Yeah: "Shut up or you'll bloody walk!!"

Try Harry Ghattos....don't sing if you don't want to....just a good laugh in there and people are less stuck up- singing breaks down the barriers and people chat...you have to clap for everyone though- it's the Karoake Code of Conduct![/quote]

Sounds about right...every Japanese person in the Karaoke bar told me my singing was 'clap'...or something that sounded like that!

Done the real thing in Japan and its difficult to refuse when the microphone get shoved in front of you and they expect you to read the little dot dancing on top of the words...problem was, the words were all in Japanese! Don't speak a word of it! Except 'Clap!'

I'll give it another try if they let me in after the last debacle (took them hours to shoo all the dogs out!)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Mar 27, 2006
ok so here's your scores so far...

1. intelligent- tick!
2. Sense of humour- tick!
3. Singing- clap!

You sound like the perfect man what you bothering about?? What more does a girl want? You the whole package hahahhahaha!
vixnax
Dubai Forums Member

Clap Mar 27, 2006
Enough now...people will talk!

Hang on, isn't that the purpose of this forum?

Many thanks for your support...I'll always wear it!

Dubai Knight
Dubai Knight

Mar 27, 2006
Knight

sorry to be the fly in the ointment but your style is all wrong. May i be so bold asto suggest a few icebreakers/chat up lines :?

"can i buy you a drink or do you just want the money"

"i may not be Fred Flintsone but i sure can make your bedrock"

"do you believe in love at first sight, or should i walk by again"

"your bodies name must be Visa, because its everywhere i want to be"

"If you were a hamburger @ McDonalds you would be McGorgous"

"If i could rewrite the alphabet i would put U and I together"

"there must be something wrong with my eyes, i cant take them off you"

"do you have a map? I just keep getting lost in your eyes"

"was you father a thief? because someone stole the stars from the sky and put them in your eyes"

"excuse me, i lost my teddy bear, will you sleep with me tonight?"

"are you a parking ticket? because you have Fine Fine Fine written all over you"

"baby, you must be a broom, because you just swept me off my feet"

"did the sun just come out, or did you smile at me "

Babes you must be tired, you have been running through my mind all day"

"are you a surgeon?, because you have just took my heart away"

Hey baby, the Power company is looking for you, you're so electrifying"

"Bond, James Bond"

"do you work for UPS? because i swear i saw you checking out my package"

"are you free tonight, or is it gonna cost me?"

Will you be my love buffet so i can lay you on the table and take what i want"

"how about you sit on my lap and lets what pops up"

There ya go mate, now memorise and you wont go wrong

:lol: :lol: :lol:
arniegang

Mar 27, 2006
Arniegang! Those are fab...come on do tell have you ever, ever used any of them and what response did you get!!?? The Love Buffet one is hilarious!
vixnax
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 27, 2006
I am a gentleman and that would be telling :oops:

arniegang

Mar 27, 2006
how about these 2

"You remind me of breakfast cereal. I'd like to pour milk all over you and have you every morning".

"Nice dress, but it would look much better on my bedroom floor!"

:lol: :lol:
arniegang

Mar 28, 2006
arniegang wrote:Knight

sorry to be the fly in the ointment but your style is all wrong. May i be so bold asto suggest a few icebreakers/chat up lines :?

"was you father a thief? because someone stole the stars from the sky and put them in your eyes"

"are you a parking ticket? because you have Fine Fine Fine written all over you"

"Bond, James Bond"

EWWWWWW Craporama! No wonder u r alone and j*** off.. :lol:
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 28, 2006
arniegang wrote:Knight

"Bond, James Bond"

Now this is the sort of stuff I was looking for! I can now see the error of my ways! It is obviously my lack of mental retention as I was remembering all the wrong lines...

I wondered why "Your teeth are like the stars...do they come out at night?" had been failing me!

Or my particular favourite: "This face is leaving in 5 minutes, wanna be on it?"

I suppose handing the girl your mobile and telling her to call her dad "cos she won't be home until morning" is another that has proved to be a memorable one!

Can I borrow your little black book one night, or is the page still blank?

Any more for any more?
:wink:

Knight
Dubai Knight

posting in Dubai RomanceForum Rules

Return to Dubai Romance