SUV For Regular On And Off Road Use.

Topic locked
SUV for regular on and off road use. Mar 12, 2011
Hi there all auto experts,

I need your valuable advice here.

I am planning to buy an SUV, which I can regularly drive to the office and occasionally to the desert.

My idea is to go for a land cruiser 1998-2003 models with a budget of 60000.

I don’t mind buying a new one if my sole purpose was on road use. But I don’t really want to take a 200000 vehicle to the desert.

The factors attracted me to 1998-2003 land cruiser are as follows.

1. Mechanically reliable
2. There is no too much electronics which can go wrong ( for eg: latest prado pneumatic suspension – which is already a problem)
3. Easy to find parts.
4. Easy to repair out side the dealer ships.

The thing is, I am an electronics hobbyist and wants to add my own gadgets to the car myself (computer, GPS, cameras, lightings etc)

I would be much more comfortable doing all these on an old and cheap car than on a not so cheap new one. (Frankly, I believe that the Toyotas are overpriced)

What I wanted to know from you experts are

1. Am I wrong in any of the four points mentioned above?
2. Can you suggest a better alternative considering all the above?
3. I have never gone for serious off roading even though I am big fan of the sport. What other factors should I take into consideration?
4. Can you suggest a good garage where I can get a prospective car inspected?

Thanking you all in advance and awaiting your valuable comments,

Zaq.

zaq
Dubai Forum User

Re: SUV For Regular On And Off Road Use. Mar 12, 2011
Land Cruiser VXR V8, can handle the stress of regular off road bashing as well as comfortable on road to be a daily driver and under 60k

But since you want a cheap car which is actually what I always recomend specially if you want take it offroad and your pretty new you'll will most defenite make mistakes which on a new/er car could be expensive.

I would recomend a Jeep Cherokee or Jeep Wrangler but the problem with these is they are good offroad, pretty cheap but no good as daily drivers and suck on road. Plus the wrangler only seats two and very limited boot space which is almost non existant, which could be an issue of you go out for longer trips carrying camping equipment etc etc. Cherokees can seat 4/5 but not very comfortable and drive like crap on road.

Get a Land Rover Discovery series I ( 1990-1998/9 ) no electrickery. Just the basic stuff. A full size 4x4. V8. Very comfy and smooth on the road and enough grunt for offroad. Can get in around under 10k. Maintainace is very very cheap, cheaper than corolla/echo. Easily and cheaply modified, A couple of scrap yards here which you can get anything from on the cheap. Buy it for 10k spend a few more K's on mods and turn it into this

So the choice is down to you between a Land Cruiser 100 series and a Discovery Series I. L/C being the expensive option and car price will eat up almost all your budget of 60k with nothing left over for service ( always recommend you do a full service on any second hand vehicle you buy ) offroad mods i.e lift kit, tyres, lights, GPS, racks etc etc.

Disco Series I for around 10k and even after doing a full service, bringing car back to spec and mods you still have the major part of the 60k from your budget left in your pocket.

If your looking for a just a small weekend warrior then go a Jeep. But a proper dual purpose car then select the above two.

Feel free to gimme a shout for anything else or if you want to hook up with a few offroad clubs who teach and conduct off road trips on the weekends, free.

Cheers
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Hello DDS,

That was a detailed and very helpful reply, I must say.

Let me weigh all options you mentioned.

By the way, dubizzle was my hope so far to find used cars.

Is there any other way to find good used models you mentioned?

(I have heard that there is a good chance to be cheated if we go to al awir used car market)

Thank you very much for your above reply.

Zaq.
zaq
Dubai Forum User

No worries mate, Dubbizzle is a good source to find used cars. I've almost bought and sold most of cars from there. Also keep a look out on Souq.com but nowadays its mostly overtaken by used car dealers. There are also a few other online sources like dubai moon etc etc.

Yes all the typical used car salesman stereotypes are mostly true at the Shj and Dubai used car markets not to say individual buyers are all totally honest here aswell. Got to be very carefull if playing to buy a car like a land cruiser almost 90% of them are clocked, abused, rolled over in the desert. Specially stay away from White manual GXR land cruisers as there is a very high chance these were ex desert safari cars
desertdudeshj

Re: SUV for regular on and off road use. Mar 13, 2011
if you look carefully you can find an offroader for as cheap as 10,000dhs! ;)

so for 50,000dhs you have your 4x4 and 10,000dhs you will have your offroader for you to play around in the sand!
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: SUV for regular on and off road use. Mar 14, 2011
rudeboy wrote:if you look carefully you can find an offroader for as cheap as 10,000dhs! ;)

so for 50,000dhs you have your 4x4 and 10,000dhs you will have your offroader for you to play around in the sand!

Hello RB, that is a good idea indeed.

But I don't want to maintain 3 vehicles as I already have a nice sedan.

3 cars for a person! Ain't it a bit weird, though it's quite common in this country?

-- Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:26 pm --

Hello DDS,

I did some research.

You are correct about Discovery.

I can have a decent one for about 15K.

Here are some doubts I have…

LR Discovery

1. Why only series 1? What about 2 ? most of the ads in Dubizzle are of 2.
2. Where are the junk yards you mentioned where I can get spares? I think this is very important as many online off road reviews refer to LR as “designed to fail” (This is not my opinion. I just read so)
3. What about all range rovers?
4. Could you please suggest a Discovery mechanic?

Toyota Land cruiser

1. Is it better to avoid American spec models?
2. Most of the ads are of GXR V6 models. In fact, Ironically, V8 models are more fuel efficient in 1998-2006 model LCs. Still it looks like people prefer V6. I wonder why!

-- Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:04 pm --

Hello DDS,

I did some research.

You are correct about Discovery.

I can have a decent one for about 15K.

Here are some doubts I have…

LR Discovery

1. Why only series 1? What about 2 ? most of the ads in Dubizzle are of 2.
2. Where are the junk yards you mentioned where I can get spares? I think this is very important as many online off road reviews refer to LR as “designed to fail” (This is not my opinion. I just read so)
3. What about oldr ange rovers?
4. Could you please suggest a Discovery mechanic?

Toyota Land cruiser

1. Is it better to avoid American spec models?
2. Most of the ads are of GXR V6 models. In fact, Ironically, V8 models are more fuel efficient in 1998-2006 model LCs. Still it looks like people prefer V6. I wonder why!

-- Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:50 pm --

What Is happening?

I tried twice to post the above reply seeking help from DDS.

Both of them ended up attached to my previous reply to RB.
zaq
Dubai Forum User

Re: SUV for regular on and off road use. Sep 03, 2011
Hi

Have you been able to find a Land Rover discovery Series 1 ?

I checked dubizzle there are 3 Disc I so can someone recommend me a garage to show the cars ,

I do not expect 13 year old car to be total accident free but I still think its important to check the overall health of the car.

by the way does anyone know a good running discovery on sale ?

Thanks
VCO
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: SUV For Regular On And Off Road Use. Sep 03, 2011
What is a LRD ?
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:What is a LRD ?

ok corrected :)
VCO
Dubai Forum Guest

Will you stop sending me PM's ...thank you ! :?

And to answer you're question, no I don't know that Disco nor could I find it on Dubizzle.

And don't pay anything over 10 to 12k for one, 15k MAX if it is prime condition, got all the bells and whistles and looks like it just rolled of the factory floor and up until now I haven't seen a series 1 in that condition in this country. So 10-12k it is.

And also there is no one who isn't a thief and a crook who can have look at your Disco here. Avoid AAA at any cost. Overpriced useless people.

Its a simple car with simple stuff anycompetent mechanic you trust should be able to get a once over, and if you know anything about casr you should be able to do the same. Look of excessive oil leaks, a little is ok as they all leak, unless its been given a good under body wash. Look for signs of previous overheating, excessive clunk in the drive train. Shifting from P to R or D a little clunk is normal.

The gears should shift smoothly with no excessive thuds, no whining noise from any end while driving. Brakes will be a bit squidgy compared to other cars specially if it has bigger tyres than stock. A/C front and rear should work. Check all windows front and rear. The steering shouldn't be too wobbly so on and so forth.
desertdudeshj

Re: SUV For Regular On And Off Road Use. Sep 04, 2011
Sorry for the PMs
I did not mean to bother you, I was in a hurry so I prefered to sent PM directly, anyways...

Thanks for all the information
VCO
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto