Weather Of Dubai In 1981

Topic locked
Weather of dubai in 1981 Feb 27, 2006
I have recieved alot of information from my parents about the most powerful storm series to hit UAE was in 1981. According to them:

In 1981 the people of UAe were planning to move away from the shores as the sea came in too much. It was 3 days of extreme heavy rain, powerful lightning, hail stones of the size of a golfball and wind gusts similar to the Hurricane Katrina. I also got an information that a pickup actually flew at the Dubai-Sharjah road and hit Al Mulla Plaza. It caused unimaginable destruction all across UAE as a supercell thunderstorm loomed all over UAE. Finally after 3 days it started clearing.

More thunderstorms in the 90s,

Approximately 1994: An extreme storm caused flooding in most of the areas of Sharjah & Dubai. The approximate mm of rain recorded was 510mm in just less than 6 hours. (the showers in the past few days was just 22mm)

1996: Another extremely powerful storm hits UAE. I remember it whee i was going to school and could see extremly dark blue clouds and lightning. I thought it wouldnt rain because the clouds were on the wrong direction of the sky, It rained REALLY heavily, i was in class and school got cancelled that day. Rainfall recorded was 530mm

Then there was no another rain to match the ones above until the april of 2002, fast storm caused much rain upto 70mm after years Pics included

finally 3 day showers in 2004 ended almost a decade old drought.

bsorc
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 27, 2006
I wouldn't wanna be around to see 500+ millilitres fall in 6 hours on a city with 10 rain drains....
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 27, 2006
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: PMSL.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 27, 2006
I can still remember that day ... very scary
U a E s A i N t
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 27, 2006
Remember all of them...but the 1981 cannot forget...even though I was four years old. I remember our backyard was so full of hailstones it looked like a blanket of snow. I also remember storing a couple of the hailstones in the freezer. I remember that at least half the cars in Dubai parked in the open were at least dented by the stones and many others had smashed wind shields.
audreygaur
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat