Death Trap City

Topic locked
Death trap city Feb 22, 2006
I was just reading in the newspaper that yesterday's showers contributed to 500 (yes that is FIVE HUNDRED) minor accidents on the roads of Dubai.

Police said the accidents were caused by "speeding and failure to maintain enough distance with the traffic ahead".

Already this city has a shocking record on the roads with a minor accident every three minutes and a rising monthly death rate on the roads that has now reached 19 per month. No wonder when some of these crazies think they can continue to hurtle along like it's the Dubai Grand Prix and that wet roads make no difference at all.

I've driven in Italy, USA, Canada, all over the UK and Ireland, Greece, France, Spain and elsewhere and quite honestly Dubai has a far greater number of death-wish nutters per square mile than just about anywhere on the planet. And yes that does include Italy!

Death Race 2006 and it's getting worse...

GoodBai
Dubai Forums Talker

Feb 22, 2006
It is funny how people ignore major weather changes - in Dubai and elsewhere. In Canada you'd always hear about car pile-ups during the first snow-fall. Hello people - snow! Less visibility and more slippery - drive slowly, leave more space between you and the next car!
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Feb 22, 2006
Try driving in Beirut or Cairo...

Driving in this city is a walk in the park.... Beleive you me!!
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 23, 2006
Liban wrote:Try driving in Beirut or Cairo...

I totally agree, people are not used to the rain or fog & tend to stay on the same speed limit which can be very dangerous ... i tend to avoid driving during heavy rain .. due to the madness caused by careless drivers ..

But Beirut, Cairo, Jeddah & many other places are worse than Dubai
U a E s A i N t
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 24, 2006
I disagree with you U A E S A I N T,

In Cairo, we don't have pile ups, but we have alot of minor hickups.

Going to Jebel Ali Thursday morning, i saw a Fancy bus on the other side after a 180 spin and crashing in the mid road steel.

cheers, drive safe
yshimy

Feb 24, 2006
Yes yshimy brings up a good point while driving in Beirut, Cairo and other cities is probably harder but people all understand each other and you dont see many accidents happening (although you get an adrenaline rush) .. however did you ever drive down sheikh zayed without passing by a couple of accidents ?
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 24, 2006
yeh there was traffic on every route! But I noticed ... when yday I was going lazy on the roads (driving slow & keeping a lot of distance) people din get frustrated, they cooperated, in fact on SZR all cars went really smooth.

Oh, and talking about driving stds, you guys should see how ppl drive in india! No lane discipline! no indicators?! Taxi's do not have side mirrors!! ( coz the cars are sooo close to each other, say 1 lil cm away, so side mirrors wud take a lot of space haha) & there is nothing like safety distance…also, if your crossing the road, people are still moving their cars ..wont stop! & if ur caught violating the traffic rules.. u jus give a lil something to the police man…..ah its a nightmare.
easternjewel
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Mar 01, 2006
Liban wrote:Try driving in Beirut or Cairo...

Cairo :shock: :shock:

Liban you are deffo correct.

They even harass the traffic cops there, i used to see drivers actually nudging bumpers right up to their legs. Cairo is the worst cityfor driving i have ever experienced,
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 05, 2006
Fully agree about Cairo & Beirut... In Jordan it isn't that good but at least people stop at traffic lights!!
liverpool4ever
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 05, 2006
liverpool4ever wrote:Fully agree about Cairo & Beirut... In Jordan it isn't that good but at least people stop at traffic lights!!

hehehe so are the ppl in beirut and cairo color blind? No wonder Liban doesnt notice rainbow color of his gang..... :lol:
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 07, 2006
a couple of years ago there was a rainstorm in LA that caused a single 200 car pile up otside the city. I don't think people anywhere have figured out the rain makes the road slippery.
hetherjw
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 15, 2006
Well do you think the government is going to do anything about the driving in Dubai? I mean as far as getting some police on the road? Or more roads or something? Driving is the only thing that is keeping my parents from moving to Dubai. too bad.
baba90
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Mar 15, 2006
Baba, is your avatar big enough for u?
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 16, 2006
baba can u stop linking this huuuuuuuuuuuge avatar?
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 16, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH It's huge and making everything squished - get rid of it!!!!!

One problem is that people have no repsect for the police force, so many locals just ague with them it's not true.

For example a national woman pulled out straight in front of my mother yesterday, forcing her to hit the brakes, another national lady went straight into the back of my mothers car. And the woman that caused the accident, just drove off. Luckily they got her number and the police called her to return to the scene - she was refusing to do so - WTF!!!! She also had 4 kids in the car and obviously no regard for their safety.

Both the other national lady and my mother said it was the woman's fault as she just pulled out. She was screaming and shouting at the police and the other lady, who said she was so rude and offensive. Adn when she was given a measly fine - how pathetic for causing an accident! - she said she would take it to court. Well both my mum and the other lady said, fine go ahead - so we'll see what happens.

But for goodness sake a 500Dhs fine for causing an accident, leaving the scene and then arguing with the police, in many other countries you'd get a jail term for that.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 16, 2006
ok i got rid of my avatar....but one thing whats ur oppionion on the future of driving in dubai? has anyone heard anythign there?
baba90
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Apr 14, 2006
The future is bleek as of the moment.

The two bridges (mak&Gar) are dense with traffic evry evenin..

new bridges need to come up. & wowha the ppl factor (drivin skills) need to be addressed... :headbang:
silhouette
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Apr 14, 2006
Cairo is very simple u have 10 EGP then u will never get a ticket if a policeman comes to u just give him 10 EGP and u will be just fine.
NO LANES NO TRFFIC LIGHT NO SPEED LIMIT DOUBLE PARK ANYWHWRE
Gold Bless Egypt with more screwed up drivers
Wafaey
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 14, 2006
The government has now set up an official committee to look into the whole question of traffic flow and the road system under Mohammed Gergawi. The problems are well known, however this is the penalty for a transit system that is entirely road based. The previous committee has now been disbanded.

The mass transit metro is coming, however this will take many years to complete, despite the pressure on the contractors to 'fast track' it (sic.) Much of the nightmares created on the Sheikh Zayed Road today are due to the utilities work that needs to be done prior to the main track construction.

There is a railway network planned to link Abu Dhabi and the Northern Emirates. This will probably follow the course of the Emirates Road and link to the metro system eventually.

There are also proposals in for a water taxi service from Sharjah to the Creek but these have yet to be approved.

In the mean time...take your life in your hands or work from home!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat