ALL DUBAI NEWSPAPERS ACCESSIBLE ONLINE FROM ONE PAGE

Topic locked
ALL DUBAI NEWSPAPERS ACCESSIBLE ONLINE FROM ONE PAGE Nov 20, 2009
I have found a good way to catch up on the local news is to go to the 2daydubai site and click on "READ DUBAI NEWS" on the left panel - and all main Dubai newspapers can be accessed from the one page - including GULF NEWS,KALEEJ TIMES, and THE NATIONAL - all online and free - and includes the classified adverts for home rentals or car purchases.

The 2DAYDUBAI site also has detailed independent reviews all Dubai property projects if anyone is still buying and selling in Dubai these days!
Other features in their property reviews include project videos, location maps, site plans, metro links and project investment options.

Zahra2
Dubai Forum Visitor

Nov 20, 2009
Excellent tip!!!! Thanks so much. Saved the link to my "favorites".
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: ALL DUBAI NEWSPAPERS ACCESSIBLE ONLINE FROM ONE PAGE Nov 25, 2009
Zahra2 wrote:I have found a good way to catch up on the local news is to go to the 2daydubai site and click on "READ DUBAI NEWS" on the left panel - and all main Dubai newspapers can be accessed from the one page - including GULF NEWS,KALEEJ TIMES, and THE NATIONAL - all online and free - and includes the classified adverts for home rentals or car purchases.

The 2DAYDUBAI site also has detailed independent reviews all Dubai property projects if anyone is still buying and selling in Dubai these days!
Other features in their property reviews include project videos, location maps, site plans, metro links and project investment options.

Erm, you "have found" a site that copied that from Dubaifaqs ...

http://www.dubaifaqs.com/newspapers-in-dubai.php

Financial Times - not a UAE newspaper but since 2003, it has been printed in Dubai. The FT is a well-known UK business newspaper with a focus on UK and international corporate news, but with little content related directly to Dubai and UAE business news. From 29 April 2008 the FT Middle East edition included a page with Middle East related news. Once or twice a week.

International Herald Tribune (IHT, USA) possibly considering a Dubai / UAE / Middle East edition in conjunction with the Khaleej Times, with an office in Dubai under consideration (partnership agreed in April 2008).

The Times (UK) since May 2007 prints and distributes an international edition in the UAE.

2daydubai (should be 2-lazy-dubai)

Financial Times - since 2003 the Financial Times has been in Dubai printed in twice a week. The FT is a well-known UK business newspaper with a focus on UK and international corporate news and from 29 April 2008 the FT Middle East edition includes a page with Middle East related news.

International Herald Tribune – will be publishing a Middle East edition in conjunction with the Khaleej Times.

The Times [UK] - since May 2007 The Times has published an international edition in the UAE.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: ALL DUBAI NEWSPAPERS ACCESSIBLE ONLINE FROM ONE PAGE Nov 25, 2009
Its difficult to verify your comment - because you have only provided a link to one of the 2 sites - the FAQ site.

While both websites provide links to UAE newspapers - I don’t think there is any comparison between the usability of the two – the 2dayDubai.com links are very user friendly - whereas you have to sort through a great deal of information to locate the links on the FAQ site.

This usability point is perhaps confirmed by the comment of another user who thanked me for going to the trouble of providing the information.

I use both sites extensively - but 2daydubai.com - provides me with a better user experience for reading daily newspapers or researching dubai property investment projects - FAQ is invaluable for those hard core facts about the daily of living in Dubai difficult to find elsewhere.

Finally I don’t wish to be drawn into a negative, pointless, and pedantic debate – but personally I find the 2daydubai.com editorial comment refreshingly original – as the rest of their section on Dubai newspapers confirms:

"[2]: Newspapers:
“Newspapers are subject to censorship in Dubai and restrictions may be imposed upon content on political, religious, and moral grounds.

"New 2009 media restriction law:
In 2009 the UAE government issued a draft media law [now awaiting Presidential consent] removing penal offences but imposing fines for criticism of the Rulers and their governments – and their economies.
Widely criticised by most Dubai independent journalists as a backward step [see article below] – this unwise decision will move the UAE – now rated 69th in the world in the Press Freedom Index in 2008 – further down the line – at a time when honest and frank appraisal of the nation’s economic problems needs to be encouraged not punished.
Mistakes have been made and need to be openly acknowledged and rectified – and indeed this is already happening to some extent in the series of new laws and rulings issued by RERA – the Dubai property industry regulatory body – to correct past unfair practices and contractual conduct of developers.
False and misleading statements about the economy - are best countered by cogent evidence and logical counter argument.
The Dubai economy like every economy on the globe has its problems – but it also has strong, enduring, inherent strengths as a result of many decades of wise and innovative leadership as shown in the section on Dubai Economy.
It can comfortably withstand critical analysis – and does not need to be artificially protected by a potentially oppressive restriction on frank and open economic debate.
Instead of the current five-year jail sentence for criticising the head of the state the penalty has been replaced with a maximum AED1 million fine.
Finable offences include:
“criticising the head of the state and the rulers of the emirates, publishing misleading news that could harm the national economy and publishing material insulting the traditions and values" of the UAE.
According to the following article self censorship is consistently practiced in the UAE:

“They all appear to exercise strict self-censorship, avoiding any criticism of the rulers - an approach followed in all Gulf monarchies. The UAE ranked 69th in the press freedom index for 2008 prepared by the Paris-based watchdog Reporters Without Borders. It came third among Arab countries, with Kuwait ranking 61st and Lebanon 66th.”
Reporters Without Borders:

Regardless of these significant restrictions a creative and buoyant newspaper industry has evolved in Dubai.”

Then the newspaper links are provided one after another on the same page to:

Gulf News.
Khaleej Times.
Gulf Today.
The National.
Dubai Chronicle.
7Days.
Arabian Business News.
Zahra2
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: ALL DUBAI NEWSPAPERS ACCESSIBLE ONLINE FROM ONE PAGE Nov 26, 2009
Zahra2 wrote:Its difficult to verify your comment - because you have only provided a link to one of the 2 sites - the FAQ site.

While both websites provide links to UAE newspapers - I don’t think there is any comparison between the usability of the two – the 2dayDubai.com links are very user friendly - whereas you have to sort through a great deal of information to locate the links on the FAQ site.

Verification is not difficult. I don't post links to websites that plagiarise material.

User-friendliness comparison wasn't my objective. My point was that 2daydubai is copying content from other websites.
bonk

Re: ALL DUBAI NEWSPAPERS ACCESSIBLE ONLINE FROM ONE PAGE Nov 26, 2009
I note that you don’t dispute my point about the superior usability of 2daydubai.com.

As for the copying allegation – certainly both articles concern the same subject – overseas papers printed in Dubai - but 2daydubai.com uses quite different phrasing and sentence content to the more detailed section in FAQ:

The “quote” you provided is not accurate in any event.

These are in fact the precise words used by 2daydubai.com – which I have just copied and pasted – directly from their website:

“The UK business newspaper – the Financial Times [FT] – reports UK and international commercial news – and the FT Middle East edition includes a page with Middle East oriented news.
The London daily newspaper - The Times - publishes an international edition in the UAE.
The International Herald Tribune is also available in the UAE.”

I think this issue is becoming trivial and pedantic and I don’t have anything further to say on the subject. I didn’t realize that a simple helpful tip on how to easily read the local newspapers would attract such an adverse, negative, response from the appropriately self designated “forum whore” of this community – but nevertheless the following comment from another forum user has made the exercise worthwhile:

“Excellent tip!!!! Thanks so much. Saved the link to my "favorites."

Finally let me leave you with another original gem from 2daydubai.com in their investment review of the Universe project.

“[4]: Would you invest in the Universe?
In a word - NO!
When you see what Nakheel have done to the investors of The World, who paid between US$15 – 45 million per island - but were not informed at the time of purchase that their project would be geographically bumped by a new island project cutting them off from direct access to the Dubai coastline - you would be a very brave investor indeed to invest in the Universe project – for the simple reason that as soon as the Universe project sales have been substantially completed – Nakheel with its Rambo like mentality to property development - may decide to concrete over the little remaining blue water between The Universe and the Dubai coastline – or decide we now need a new ‘Beyond the Solar System’ island group to complement the Universe – and thereby instantly devaluing the prior project – just as they now have with The World.
This website is very confident about the long term strengths of the Dubai economy and very positive about the long term Dubai property market – and very supportive of the Dubai Government’s pro active policy towards property development.
The numerous reviews of the hundreds of Dubai property projects on this website highlight the investment merits of each project – and indicate any perceived risks or caveats about the individual project – and try to identify the best buying options within the project.
At all times we try to be realistic and constructive.
We have honestly hailed the master project merits of Nakheel projects such as the Dubai Waterfront and the Arabian Canal – and especially The World – Nakheel’s property development masterpiece - now illogically endangered by its own creators.
With Dubailand - which has planning, infrastructure, and timetable issues - we have advocated an appropriate solution – such as the establishment of an independent DIFC like Authority to manage the planning and local government of the Dubailand mega project.
With the Universe project we have suggested a radical resizing and fundamental re – positioning of the islands away from the vital blue waterway between the Jumeirah beaches on the Dubai coast and The World islands.
But in good faith our preferred position would be for the Universe project to be discarded altogether – as it will massively overcrowd the Dubai coast to the detriment of other projects – Palm Jumeira and Maritime City as well as The World – and most importantly - on ecological grounds - as it fills in forever 3000 hectares of priceless swimming, diving, boating, yachting, and dhow recreational blue waterway just off the Jumeirah beaches.
This is the only master project in Dubai we have recommended against as a master project – and we do so unequivocally.”
Zahra2
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: ALL DUBAI NEWSPAPERS ACCESSIBLE ONLINE FROM ONE PAGE Dec 13, 2009
Zahra2 wrote:I note that you don’t dispute my point about the superior usability of 2daydubai.com.

Like I said, user-friendliness comparison wasn't my objective. Usability is in the eye of the beholder anyway. If you think it's superior, I can't dispute that. If I think it's not, you can't dispute that.

Zahra2 wrote:The “quote” you provided is not accurate in any event.

Complain to 2daydubai, it was what was on their website when I pasted it. Perhaps they saw this topic and changed it to make it less obvious they were copying.

Zahra2 wrote:and I don’t have anything further to say on the subject.

Excellent, pleased to hear it.

Zahra2 wrote:I didn’t realize that a simple helpful tip on how to easily read the local newspapers would attract such an adverse, negative, response from the appropriately self designated “forum whore” of this community

Plagiarism annoys me, and you made it sound like 2daydubai was clever and original, which they're not in my opinion.

How do you know my "forum whore" designation is appropriate? I don't remember having you as a client.
bonk

posting in Dubai EventsForum Rules

Return to Dubai Events