Service In Dubai SCKS

Topic locked
service in dubai SCKS Oct 31, 2009
so I'm not the type to go to mall for entertainment. I do my shoppings and thats it. today morning had some bills to pay and after felt like sniffing around in the parfume store.
in 10 minutes 6 girls came to me with the usual "hi m'am, can I help you" crap and all this in the same spot, without me walking around.

I noticed that service here is either about ignoring you or being extremly pushy. either way, it scks big time

raidah
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Oct 31, 2009
I normally turn around and tell them I would be interested, but the constant annoyance is off-putting and if I need help I'll ask for it. You watch them scarper!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 31, 2009
I feel its a cultural thing - locals like to be fussed over
Roadtester
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 31, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:I normally turn around and tell them I would be interested, but the constant annoyance is off-putting and if I need help I'll ask for it. You watch them scarper!

did is what i said too, but less then 2 minutes after another came. they are like flies, you hush them away, yet they keep on coming.
they don't seem to have a section to look after. 10-12 people in a relatively small place and you find them all in the same spot
raidah

Oct 31, 2009
raidah wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:I normally turn around and tell them I would be interested, but the constant annoyance is off-putting and if I need help I'll ask for it. You watch them scarper!

did is what i said too, but less then 2 minutes after another came. they are like flies, you hush them away, yet they keep on coming.
they don't seem to have a section to look after. 10-12 people in a relatively small place and you find them all in the same spot

It certainly can be off putting, however when you go into another store and then you can't get assistance when you need it, it's a question of the proper training and Management or lack thereof.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 31, 2009
Yes we all know the level of customer service is appalling in the uae.

Plus, I believe Dubai has been designed in such a way where they want to keep it exclusively for (you guessed it) millionaires or high net worth individuals. I personally find it to be a very pricey city; Value:Price .

Rent and Utilities and wham! that’s 30-40% of your paycheck, that is for a decent bedroom in and around dubai close to sheikh zayed rd.
godsent
Dubai Forums Talker

Oct 31, 2009
Service generally is the pits.

Why?

Because training costs Dirhams. Why would any sponsor foot the bill for something he cares nothing about. His only aim is to make easy money. He only cares about getting the cheapest labour he possibly can.
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 01, 2009
smoggie wrote:Service generally is the pits.

Why?

Because training costs Dirhams. Why would any sponsor foot the bill for something he cares nothing about. His only aim is to make easy money. He only cares about getting the cheapest labour he possibly can.

Spot on there smoggie, pay peanuts and you get monkeys.

Some malls are like zoos!
Searcaigh
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 01, 2009
Naa it's not all that bad.
Agreed when it comes to electronics especially the finer nuances such as amps and sound systems to projectors, the services offered do reek of naievity.

As far as the retail sector goes, apart from the general pricing I've got absolutely no complaints. The ambience in most malls is always peppy and cheerful, the staff are attentive and thats that. No complaints here!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 01, 2009
But there's attentive and there's following you around like you're about to nick something. Gets seriously annoying.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Nov 01, 2009
I walk around in circles if I am followed....The assistant doesn't have a clue what's going on...very funny!
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 01, 2009
None of the staff have decent manners or even know how to be polite or know how to smile. I got a bollocking from one of their staff because I asked them whats wrong with the vacuum hoover and what did you guys do to repair it :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 01, 2009
rudeboy wrote:None of the staff have decent manners or even know how to be polite or know how to smile. I got a bollocking from one of their staff because I asked them whats wrong with the vacuum hoover and what did you guys do to repair it :D

Well you asked the wrong questions because generally such items go out for repair. You went way beyond what they know when you questioned them.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Nov 01, 2009
hey comaan guys ,you are not bashing other expats ,are you? I thought you are all rocket scientist here !! LOOOOOOOL
uaekid

Nov 01, 2009
uaekid wrote:hey comaan guys ,you are not bashing other expats ,are you? I thought you are all rocket scientist here !! LOOOOOOOL

Like the poor old shop assistants...were all just here to get what we can... even the "rocket scientists" LoL
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 02, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:
rudeboy wrote:None of the staff have decent manners or even know how to be polite or know how to smile. I got a bollocking from one of their staff because I asked them whats wrong with the vacuum hoover and what did you guys do to repair it :D

Well you asked the wrong questions because generally such items go out for repair. You went way beyond what they know when you questioned them.

As a consumer I am always right and I have every right to ask them what they did to repair it. I didnt ask any normal staff, I asked their engineer and hes like I dont know my boys fixed it though and doing that thing indians do with their head :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 02, 2009
I dread having to go shopping for clothes, I had one guy in Debenhams trying to select underwear for me. Menswear shops are the worst of all.
gavtek
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 02, 2009
gavtek wrote:I dread having to go shopping for clothes, I had one guy in Debenhams trying to select underwear for me. Menswear shops are the worst of all.

You really sound like you have issues :shock:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 02, 2009
Issues with what? Being harassed by over-friendly salesmen when I'm trying to mind my own business? Seems like a fairly reasonable annoyance to me?
gavtek
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 02, 2009
gavtek wrote:Issues with what? Being harassed by over-friendly salesmen when I'm trying to mind my own business? Seems like a fairly reasonable annoyance to me?

Underwear issues
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 03, 2009
Well to be honest if it's a guy dealing with women's underwear, then yeah I'd have issues with that aswell!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat