Media City

Topic locked
Media City Feb 14, 2006
Hi guys just planning to move to Dubai. Considering my qualification i will go most probably for a job in media city. Can anyone tell me which are the decent areas live close by to this place?

yoyo
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 14, 2006
Emirates Hills, The Greens
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Feb 14, 2006
Sounds expensive! :lol:
I am looking for a decent and cheap place to stay for a while till i get my act together! I will have to come on a visit visa and change it later on..that is if i am not getting really lucky and i will get a job before landing there which is highly unlikely unless you have some kind of interview!
Thanks a lot for the info!
yoyo
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 14, 2006
Forget the Greens... It sucks. It is too expensive for nothing and the build qualiy is crap (except for phase 1)...
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 14, 2006
Well, there is free pool and gym use, and you don't pay all the utilities you'd pay in a villa - so when that is factored in it is not extemely expensive. Yes, the build quality definitely sucks, but so far the build quality seems to suck everywhere in these quickly-built neighbourhoods.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Feb 14, 2006
I realise that getting a place close to media city is not easy after all everyone wants the same thing. I am looking at a place some 30 -40 min travel time away from it not something like crossing the street and entering the office! :lol:
And also is there mandatory to pay rent for full year upfront or you can manage by paying say 3 months at first till I manage to get a job?
yoyo
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 14, 2006
The most I have seen is 4 chqs. Though I have seen 6 chqs, but thats in Barsha and Bur Dubai :?
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 14, 2006
That is ok the whole year thing was putting me off!I hope i will not wait for too long to get a job but still one can never be too careful about expenses in such situations!
Thanks a lot guys u I really appreciate your help!
yoyo
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 14, 2006
One thing. Having a check bounce is a criminal offence here.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 14, 2006
I would never dream of such thing..then again u need a resident permit to b able to open an account!?
Cash will b ok? Damn its starting to sound more and more complicated!
yoyo
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 14, 2006
Well yes, plus if you're not sharing with people, you cannot get any utilities connected without a residence visa. You definately can't rent on your own without a visa. Can't get a bank account without one, so how can you write checks? etc etc
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 15, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Well yes, plus if you're not sharing with people, you cannot get any utilities connected without a residence visa. You definately can't rent on your own without a visa. Can't get a bank account without one, so how can you write checks? etc etc

While Choco is technically right, you'll soon realize that Dubai rules are all bendable, I was able to get utilities, a pad, etc. without being a resident but it is easier if you are a resident, I did have a job coming here though so it was easier. Actually I've been here almost 2 years and I still don't have a checking account, I did open a savings account 4 months ago though:)

There are furnished apartment type houses like the Golden Sands area where you can rent by the week or month and you don't need residency. You are likely better off in shared accomodation though, it'd be cheaper.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Feb 15, 2006
Fayz, I'm also a firm believer in the chocco way - cash cash maite.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 15, 2006
I think the best way is to find a job beforehand but lets b frank that is not easy you have to b in Dubai! I do have some friends but by the time i find a job and get my resident permit that will take minimum 2 months if not more and well I just hate disturbing people like that after all we each have our own things to deal with!
But if you say i can rent without the permit for a couple of months that could b a solution!
yoyo
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 15, 2006
Just don't forget if you go over the 60 day visitor time you'll have to go out the country and come back in again.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Media City Feb 22, 2006
Hello yoyo,

I am french and just came back from Dubaï, if you need some more informations about Media City I can help you, I stayed in this area during 10 days.

ingrid.jeanbaptiste@gmail.com
ingrid
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Feb 22, 2006
10 days? Shiet that makes you an expert. U should be able to set up a PR consultancy firm for DMC.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 23, 2006
Oh please!! Don't laugh at me!! :lol: I really enjoyed this city, do you live in Dubaï ??
ingrid
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Feb 23, 2006
I wasn't even close to laughing mate, although you did amuse me somewhat. Yeap, live in Dubai and if you were following this thread and knew the area as well as you claim you'd realize I live in the area right next to DMC.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 23, 2006
Great ! I really liked this area, actually I am doing an internship as a journalist in Paris, for a french male magazine. That's why I really wish to do another internship abroad, especially in DMC. If you have any contacts, I can send you my resume.

Thanks very much for your help !

Ingrid
ingrid.jeanbaptiste@hotmail.com
i_jean_baptiste@hotmail.com (only MSN)
ingrid
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum