Which Bank Do You Prefer?

Topic locked
Which bank do you prefer? Oct 13, 2009
HSBC has decided small clients are no longer worth their time.

thenational.ae/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091005/BUSINESS/710059917

Which of the local banks do you recommend? Which have the better service and the better perks?

I see already that Emirates Bank has the most extensive ATM network (HSBC's is rather anemic in comparison).

RAKman
Dubai Forum User

Oct 13, 2009
HSBC 'cause dey fo da real ballaz.

G to tha T
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 13, 2009
Emirates has the largest number of branches and ATM's I;d say
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 13, 2009
I do not believe that any bank has the customers best interest at heart, you just have to go with what is best for you.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 14, 2009
I do business with both SCB and HSBC and I have to say, HSBC is not that bad compared to SCB.

For local dealings I use invest bank.
gcarlin37
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Which bank do you prefer? Oct 14, 2009
RAKman wrote:HSBC has decided small clients are no longer worth their time.
thenational.ae/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091005/BUSINESS/710059917
Which of the local banks do you recommend? Which have the better service and the better perks?
I see already that Emirates Bank has the most extensive ATM network (HSBC's is rather anemic in comparison).

General recommendation, go with the biggests. Emirates Bank & NBD. Never had problem with NBD since 5 years (payroll account, credit cards, internet banking). But their current internet banking, though still secure and function well, its web layout/design is terrible. It's like developed by a college student ;)

One thing that I still can't comprehend is about their policy on billing address. I asked them not to send the bank/credit card statements to the registered PO Box (ex-company's) since I no longer work there and I don't have any other PO Box. I said it's for privacy matter and helping NBD not to waste paper & save cost. After all I use internet banking all the time, therefore basically I don't need printed statements at all. They say PO Box is mandatory and can't do anything about it. It just doesn't make sense!
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 14, 2009
Emirates Bank's Al Shaheen Club product is excellent.
gavtek
Dubai Forums Member

Oct 14, 2009
gcarlin37 wrote:I do business with both SCB and HSBC and I have to say, HSBC is not that bad compared to SCB.

For local dealings I use invest bank.

Agree about HSBC vs SCB. Some people blame HSBC for rather high minimum salary for opening account. For me it's rather an advantage. At least HSBC doesn't have unpublished racial duscrimination.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 14, 2009
I've always used HSBC purely because I never go to the branch and do everything online, it's convenient I guess.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 14, 2009
If possible I avoid international banks as often they charge very high fee, poor interests rate, and poor exchange rates. Moreover when you think they link with other branches in other country (same brand), actually they don't. Few years back I had HSBC Bahrain account and I couldn't withdraw money with its ATM card abroad when I was on vacation. Imagine vacation without money.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 14, 2009
xty wrote:If possible I avoid international banks as often they charge very high fee, poor interests rate, and poor exchange rates.

For the same reason I avoid small local banks which lure their clients with such dubious perks. One day they will correct your balance severely.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 14, 2009
Red Chief wrote:For the same reason I avoid small local banks which lure their clients with such dubious perks. One day they will correct your balance severely.

That's why I said to stick to biggest ones. At least they have the experience and reputation, they won't (dare to) screw up, especially public listed company.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 14, 2009
xty wrote:
Red Chief wrote:For the same reason I avoid small local banks which lure their clients with such dubious perks. One day they will correct your balance severely.

That's why I said to stick to biggest ones. At least they have the experience and reputation, they won't (dare to) screw up, especially public listed company.

I understand your point and partly agree but I doubt that the biggest and reliable local banks offered the same perks as Mashreq or RAK.

By the way I thought that the British Bank had been one of the largest in the ME even before merging with HSBC. It's quite opposite to SCB, RBC, Barclay or City.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 14, 2009
Red Chief wrote:I understand your point and partly agree but I doubt that the biggest and reliable local banks offered the same perks as Mashreq or RAK.

As long as they have reliable & secure internet banking, no fee and minimum balance account, free credit card for life then I'm satisfied enough. (NBD gold payroll account).
I don't need instant cash loan, balance transfer, etc.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 14, 2009
Is it just me or has anyone else had a barrage of calls lately from banks offering personal loans with no salary transfer required; and credit cards with everything from Valet parking to wild wadi and ski dubai passes?
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Oct 14, 2009
xty wrote:

The litany of woes here suggests otherwise:

forums.eslcafe.c o m / job / viewtopic.php?t=75244

But maybe there are a higher percentage of whiners among teachers.
RAKman
Dubai Forum User

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat