Dubai Local License

Topic locked
Dubai Local License Feb 04, 2006
I heard dubai local license is international license..is it possible for people to drive in uk with dubai license???

undyinglove
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 04, 2006
Yes it is for upto 1 year.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Feb 05, 2006
No it's not! You have to apply for the International driving licence. If you've learnt to drive in the UAE you cannot use that licence in the UK as you drive on opposite sides of the road and the standard of driving is nowhere near the UK standard.

If you hold a UK driving licence, you can just exchange this for a UAE local licence, but not vise versa. It's the International licence you need not the local UAE one.

The International driving licence is valid for a year and tells you which countries it can be used in - not all I hasten to add.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 05, 2006
I've been told to go with my Dutch DL to the Traffic Department (near Emirates Mall) pay something like 300 Dhs and it will be transformed into an UAE DL... What u all know bout this?
Defo
Dubai Forums Talker

Feb 05, 2006
Choc

You are incorrect. The UK has receiprical agreements with many countries regarding the legallity of tempory driving arrangements in the UK, and the UAE is one of them.

The fact that most other countries drive on the opposite to UK, bears no relevance to this.

I can hire a car in the US, UAE, etc etc on a British DL, the same goes for someone with a UAE DL in the UK and US, and ok for someone in the US to drive in the UK and UAE on their US DL.

Extract from DVLA
5. All other countries
Visitors

You may drive vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes and with up to 8 passenger seats, provided your full licence or driving permit remains valid for up to 12 months from the date of entering the United Kingdom. However, you may only drive large vehicles which have been registered outside GB and which you have driven into the country.

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/drvingb.htm
arniegang

Feb 05, 2006
Defo wrote:I've been told to go with my Dutch DL to the Traffic Department (near Emirates Mall) pay something like 300 Dhs and it will be transformed into an UAE DL... What u all know bout this?

Yes all country members of the EEC can just present their DL and exchange it for a UAE DL, after the forms and fee's have been paid
arniegang

Feb 05, 2006
International DL

The UK does not recognise this as a Valid Driving Licence, neither does the UAE. Technically it is not a legal Driving Licence. Countries with receiprical agreements accept the DL of that country as "the licence". The international driving licence is only really used or required for countries outside of the agreement.
arniegang

Feb 05, 2006
Arnie,

Ok they changed it then.

Although, I'm sitting here with the International Driving Licence in my hand and the UK is listed as one of the countries that accepts it. I had to use it for my trip to Mauritius last year as they do not accept the UAE driving licence.

Virtually every European country accepts the International Driving licence and around 100 countries across the globe in total. If you're travelling, it's worth having, even though it's only valid for 12 months.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 05, 2006
Using your UAE DL you can apply for international license (no test) and then you can drive anywhere (Countries in the agreement) using the IL. From personal Experience, you can use it any where in Europe. (UK included) even in india you can use it (also drive on the wrong side the UK).

But you should take car, you need your international license and ur UAE licnese to be present when you hire the car.

Cheers all
yshimy

Feb 06, 2006
arnie,

do you have the specifics on where the EEC is? I have been driving around with just my US licence in my pocket... that will do me little good if I get pulled over. Is it really Dhs 300 to get a local DL? that would make me sad.
hetherjw
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 06, 2006
i think its about 100-150 Dhs

The EEC is most of Europe. If you are in a hire car, its ok to drive on your US licence. If not you are in a dodgy position if you have an accident.
arniegang

Feb 06, 2006
Thanks!

Looks like I should get a UAE DL. 150dhs is better that 300
hetherjw
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat