Question About Aston Martins.

Topic locked
Question about Aston Martins. Jul 26, 2009
I have 2 questions.

1: Why are there very few in Dubai? People seem to be buying maseratis bentleys etc. but i see very few aston martins on the roads. is there any specific reason? The only reason i can think of is that there are better-performance cars for it's price range. does anyone know the maintenance and service charges?

2: Where can i get the cheapest insurance for a luxury car? (Aston martin v8 vantage for example)
and around how much do you think it will be?

Thanks a lot!

xsijux
Dubai Forum Guest

Jul 26, 2009
Congratulations for the Aston Martin. I'm very happy for you.

The answer to your first question is that rich people in Dubai ride Toyota Yaris or Nissan Tiida.
Metaphor79
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 26, 2009
haha thanks metaphor, that was very helpful.

i don't have the car yet but i was planning to buy it within the week, but i was curious about the rarity of the car. i see atleast 10 bentleys and maseratis everyday on my way to and from work. why aren't there more aston martins? i'm starting to think theres something wrong with the car.

if anyone can shed some light into the matter that would be a lot of help!
xsijux
Dubai Forum Guest

Jul 27, 2009
Errr, maybe there aren't that many people who can afford to be that pretentious??
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Jul 27, 2009
Oh don't worry XSI you'll se a whole lot more Astons on the road. Let em start rolling out their new city hatchback Cygnet

Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 28, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:Errr, maybe there aren't that many people who can afford to be that pretentious??

Hun, people who say it's pretentious to own an expensive but stylish car (we're not talking lime green lambo's) are exhibiting inverted snobbery :)
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 29, 2009
The guy at the end of my road has got 3 in his drive way!!!!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jul 29, 2009
Speedhump wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:Errr, maybe there aren't that many people who can afford to be that pretentious??

Hun, people who say it's pretentious to own an expensive but stylish car (we're not talking lime green lambo's) are exhibiting inverted snobbery :)

Are u saying I suffer from inverted snobbery? Hardly hun. For clarification when I said 'afford' I was talking in a monetary sense.

Pretentious: ostentatious, showy, self-important, pompous, grandiose - its all the same. Being any or all of that doesn't necessarily constitute snobbery - outward or inverted.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Jul 29, 2009
I only said that you said that that owning an Aston Martin was pretentious. I disagreed. ;)

Inverted snobbery means looking 'down' on people who would normally be expected to look 'down' on you (only meaning in a class type system). Like if a construction worker said that he felt superior to a white collar worker.

In fact I don't even know if you could afford one (I know I can't), so I shouldn't have said it :)

I'm not looking for an argument but I don't believe that owning one means that you are automatically either pompous or self-important. I know a very nice and humble owner of a brand new Lamborghini, for example :D
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 29, 2009
Sorry he actually owns a Ferrari, doh!
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 30, 2009
Speedhump wrote:I only said that you said that that owning an Aston Martin was pretentious. I disagreed. ;)

Inverted snobbery means looking 'down' on people who would normally be expected to look 'down' on you (only meaning in a class type system). Like if a construction worker said that he felt superior to a white collar worker.

In fact I don't even know if you could afford one (I know I can't), so I shouldn't have said it :)

I'm not looking for an argument but I don't believe that owning one means that you are automatically either pompous or self-important. I know a very nice and humble owner of a brand new Lamborghini, for example :D

Your friend is an exception as there are exceptions to everything. But for many who find themelves in a position to own something here that they could only dream about back home is quite a leap and some just need to take it a step further. People buy expensive things for many reasons, one of which is to fill an emotional need.

As for me, I dont think I could afford to buy a wheel, never mind the whole car!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Aug 02, 2009
I consider myself a sport's car enthusiast. Having said that, there is hardly a point in owning a super-car here unless you want to be a poseur or impress clueless chix.

Driving up and down beach road at 20km/h can only bring so much joy...

Too many poseur's not enough enthusiasts.
dresden
Dubai chat master

Aug 02, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:Your friend is an exception as there are exceptions to everything. But for many who find themelves in a position to own something here that they could only dream about back home is quite a leap and some just need to take it a step further. People buy expensive things for many reasons, one of which is to fill an emotional need.

As for me, I dont think I could afford to buy a wheel, never mind the whole car!!

For the first paragraph, I say: Those who really have, don't need to show.

For the last sentence: Marry me :P
dresden
Dubai chat master

Aug 02, 2009
dresden wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:Your friend is an exception as there are exceptions to everything. But for many who find themelves in a position to own something here that they could only dream about back home is quite a leap and some just need to take it a step further. People buy expensive things for many reasons, one of which is to fill an emotional need.

Mate do you know any millionares (not Dirham millionaires...) that don't have a nice house and an expensive car? If you do I would almost guarantee they are the scrooges that pay their five maids 1200 Dhs a month each. :D
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 03, 2009
Speedhump wrote:
dresden wrote:

Mate do you know any millionares (not Dirham millionaires...) that don't have a nice house and an expensive car? If you do I would almost guarantee they are the scrooges that pay their five maids 1200 Dhs a month each. :D

As a matter of fact I do!
And you area absolutely correct, they live conservatively and are not flashy. I admire them.

Now the trust fund babies (university) on the other hand...
dresden
Dubai chat master

Aug 03, 2009
Well...OK...but I HATE tightwads... :D

Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Question about Aston Martins. Dec 24, 2009
from aston martins to 1200-a-month maids.

aaanyhoo, back on topic, i finally just went ahead and bought a used vantage yesterday and im gonna hope for the best. (btw, got 1 speeding fine already *sigh* and so it begins)

oh and speaking of speeding fines,

if you're bored check the fines on this numberplate out: Dubai, B 785
"if the car goes 300, it should be driven at 300" is what he says when we ask him.
xsijux
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto