Questions Regarding Moving Into UAE, Thanks.

Topic locked
questions regarding moving into UAE, thanks. Jul 17, 2009
Dear forumites,

I have a couple of questions as follows:

1. I heard that expats can carry 4 bottles of wine into UAE or 2 bottles of liquor the first time they enter the country. Is this true? If not, what is the regulation?

2. Can a regular home phone (used in USA ) work in UAE? I really like my phone, but don't know if it will function at all in a country with low voltage capacity.

3. Any suggestion on shipping books and other personal belongs to UAE in addition to carrying and checking in luggage with the airline? From USA to Dubai. Which US shipping company do you recommend?

Thank you for any help.

uaer
Dubai Forum User

Jul 17, 2009
1. You can confirm what you can buy with the cashier. I know for sure about the liquor, but not the wine. People I know who exceeded the limit (by a bottle or 2) were never stopped.
2. Don't bother bringing your phone from the US.
3. Aramex has a pretty good delivery service for shipping boxes. Could be pricey. Luggage, the usual 2 pieces or you can pay for additional luggage, which is also quite pricey.

Heading our way are you? Good luck to you.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Jul 17, 2009
The limit for wine is 5 bottles inbound at the Dubai airport...
Ansa
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 18, 2009
Thank you both for the response.

So 5 bottles of wine each person entering Dubai airport. What about liquor?

BTW, how much does a regular bottle of wine(US made or Australian made)cost in the supermarket?

Will carrying Bible and other Bible-related books be a problem? Are they gonna be confiscated at the airport?
uaer
Dubai Forum User

Jul 18, 2009
For the freight, why not just use skycargo. Or check it as excess baggae. allowances have all just gone up.

FYI, UAE is not low-voltage, we use higher voltage than the USA. 220-240v
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jul 25, 2009
uaer wrote:Thank you both for the response.

So 5 bottles of wine each person entering Dubai airport. What about liquor?

BTW, how much does a regular bottle of wine(US made or Australian made)cost in the supermarket?

Will carrying Bible and other Bible-related books be a problem? Are they gonna be confiscated at the airport?

The actual limit is 4 bottles.

Alc. drinks are not available in the supermarket, you need to get your liquor permit after finalizing your residence permit.

Bible is generally not a problem as long as you are not carrying a suitcasr full.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jul 25, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:For the freight, why not just use skycargo. Or check it as excess baggae. allowances have all just gone up.

FYI, UAE is not low-voltage, we use higher voltage than the USA. 220-240v

You should also note that UAE is 50 cycles USA is 60 cycles.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jul 25, 2009
Thanks alot!
uaer
Dubai Forum User

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum