Help With The UAE Dubai Customs Duty-thanks Alot!

Topic locked
help with the UAE Dubai customs duty-thanks alot! Jul 23, 2009
I am wondering if anyone knows the policy or website regarding how much tax/duties you need to pay to the UAE customs for the personal items (books and other personal belongings) shipped from other countries (USA) to Dubai.

Appreciate your help!

uaer
Dubai Forum User

Re: help with the UAE Dubai customs duty-thanks alot! Jul 23, 2009
uaer wrote:I am wondering if anyone knows the policy or website regarding how much tax/duties you need to pay to the UAE customs for the personal items (books and other personal belongings) shipped from other countries (USA) to Dubai.

Appreciate your help!

5% on regular trading items. so for household items it might be less but it cant be more then 5%
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 23, 2009
Thanks alot, rudeboy.

All the items will be shipped through ocean freight. Does this 5% duty applies to both ocean-shipped personal items at the port customs and carried and checked baggage at the airport customs?

So what about books and clothes? Are they regular trading items? What about computer?

By the way, at the airport, do I need to pay duty for the personal items (laptops and clothes) in my carry-on and check-in baggage?

Thank you.
uaer
Dubai Forum User

Jul 23, 2009
uaer wrote:Thanks alot, rudeboy.

All the items will be shipped through ocean freight. Does this 5% duty applies to both ocean-shipped personal items at the port customs and carried and checked baggage at the airport customs?

So what about books and clothes? Are they regular trading items? What about computer?

By the way, at the airport, do I need to pay duty for the personal items (laptops and clothes) in my carry-on and check-in baggage?

Thank you.

if its by sea freight or air freight you will pay 5% but I dont know about personal items. As for checked baggage there is no custom duty and you can get away with it for certain things like brand new laptop. But if its clothes and books you are ok. How many books you thinking of bringing over? 2nd hand books are cheap hell you can even get books which have been photocopied :D. I am assuming its your personal clothes right?

u wont have to pay custom duty for personal items at the airport. at the airport they check for prohibited items which some NAUGHTY expatriates try to bring over from their naughty trips to London :D

it would be best to contact a freight forwarder who can answer your questions about custom duty of personal goods being shipped by sea.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: help with the UAE Dubai customs duty-thanks alot! Jul 23, 2009
uaer wrote:I am wondering if anyone knows the policy or website regarding how much tax/duties you need to pay to the UAE customs for the personal items (books and other personal belongings) shipped from other countries (USA) to Dubai.

Appreciate your help!

www.dubaicustoms.ae
Metaphor79
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 23, 2009
Thanks alot, rudeboy.

I won't bring any naught stuff :D

So, if I carry my labtop with me, I need to pay duty, what's the percentage of my labtop value? Do I need to have the purchase receipt of the laptop with me? or just claim a number?

As to the books, I get lots of textbooks for teaching college kids, almost no books for entertainment. I know I can get other types of books (novels, magzines ) easily in Duabi, but these kinds of textbooks might be hard to get. Correct me if I am wrong.

Yeah, I will bring me personal clothes, sheets, blankets that are of sentimental values.
uaer
Dubai Forum User

Jul 23, 2009
uaer wrote:Thanks alot, rudeboy.

I won't bring any naught stuff :D

So, if I carry my labtop with me, I need to pay duty, what's the percentage of my labtop value? Do I need to have the purchase receipt of the laptop with me? or just claim a number?

As to the books, I get lots of textbooks for teaching college kids, almost no books for entertainment. I know I can get other types of books (novels, magzines ) easily in Duabi, but these kinds of textbooks might be hard to get. Correct me if I am wrong.

Yeah, I will bring me personal clothes, sheets, blankets that are of sentimental values.

u dont have to pay custom duty for your laptop. everyone travels to dubai day in and day out, they dont charge u for it. if its brand new. i suggest u unpack it and if they stop u just say its your personal laptop. honestly speaking they wont stop you. same goes for the textbooks, you can tell them they are your personal books. dont worry dubai customs is not that bad.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat