Does International City Stink Anymore???

Topic locked
Does International City Stink anymore??? Apr 15, 2009
Hello Folks,

Can somebody tell me if International city is devoid of the sewage smell now? I was planning of moving there but have been advised against it due to its proximity to the Sewage treatment plant and the smell .
Also , what about the traffic on the exit roads from the project? I work in Oud Metha.

Cheers,
Unicorn

Unicorn
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Apr 20, 2009
hiya
i have a 1bedroom in dubai silicon oasis which is a higher end of international city.
whats your budget?
maryam786
Dubai Expat Wannabe

May 16, 2009
the smell is not bad as it is made up to be.

yes, maybe 2-3 times a week in the mornings or late afternoons you get the stench of garbage and methane, but otherwise its fine.

keep indoors with the windows shut and you cant even tell.

there is traffic in the mornings on the exit road, not because of a jam but a road bottleneck. just give it 5-10mins max and you're out.
chrisboy
Dubai Forum Visitor

May 24, 2009
+1 ^

but the smell is very bad every once in a while after midnight.. and i mean really bad!
thebighash
Dubai Forum Guest

Jul 22, 2009
smells bad on and off...all the best
senorita
Dubai Forum Visitor

Aug 07, 2009
This problem and the main International City precincts affected by it are discussed in the Local Buzz section of 2dayDubai who conclude:

"International City is located close to the Al-Aweer Sewerage plant which has twice been extended and a third 80000 cubic-metre-a-day extension is currently under consideration.
This map shows the location of the Sewerage Plant to International City and the suburb of Alwarqaa – both of which are badly affected by sewerage smells depending upon the prevailing wind.
This essential utility needs to be relocated – previously it was well outside the Dubai urban region – but with the government permitting residential projects to be established in this area – it now needs to be moved well beyond the current planned city boundary extensions.
Sewerage plants have no place in urban areas – even newly established urban areas"
I think the odour problem is already factored into the current rents charged and the price of buying into IC, which is one of the reasons why its one of the least expensive accomodation districts of Dubai, so if price is the major consideration the problem is still there but perhaps tolerable in the circumstances.
Zahra2
Dubai Forum Visitor

Need 1BHK Flat in Discovery Garden Aug 26, 2009
Hi
i am shifting to Dubai and my office will be in JLT. I believe the closest residential area is Discovery garden. Can anyone guide me the following:

- What wld be the rent for 1BHK in this area. I need 1BHK with 2 bathrooms
- How much wld be the area (sq,feet)
- I need Flat without Furnitures?
- Is there a way you get entire flat with belongings. How much would it cost?
- How much is the commission generally?

Please reply

Thanks

AA
alkanant
Dubai Forum Guest

International City Aug 26, 2009
I think the local residents from all of the precincts of International City need to form a district residents group to lobby the Municipality and developer regarding a permanent solution to the odour problem - and specifically about relocating the sewerage works well beyond the city boundaries.
If the city is serious about going green it should adopt a non odourous biological sewerage treatment system that enable the waste to be reused as fertilizer - and even the water waste for irrigation.
Bottom line is that if the IC residents can get rid of this smell and its origin - values in this area will rocket - esp once planned metro line is established and next door Dubailand is up and running.
Zahra2
Dubai Forum Visitor

posting in Accommodation in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Accommodation in Dubai