Hey…Captain…!! How Did It Go Today????

Topic locked
Hey…Captain…!! How did it go today???? May 31, 2009
Just wondering how it went today with your employer?

Did you get your final check??

You left smiling or frowning?

I’m tired right now..I’m heading to bed. But I’ll see your reply in the morning.

Some of us are lucky…they don’t have to work tomorrow!! :) :)

Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Hey…Captain…!! How did it go today???? May 31, 2009
Tom Jones wrote:Just wondering how it went today with your employer?

Did you get your final check??

You left smiling or frowning?

I’m tired right now..I’m heading to bed. But I’ll see your reply in the morning.

Some of us are lucky…they don’t have to work tomorrow!! :) :)

;)

National holiday in Holland and jobless. Can it get any better :lol: ;)
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

May 31, 2009
Thanks for asking.

Actually, they tried to screw me worse than I expected. Not only do I get no compensation, but they are asking for my furniture allowance back because apparently it's for 4 years, and since I only worked 1.25 years they want 75% of it back. The fact that I was only on a two year contract doesn't seem to register with them !?!?!

They did offer my plane ticket home, but no moving expenses. To makes matters worse, when they first presented my figures they said I was 40 days negative in leave. I almost had a heart attack. Turns out that the days I was 'absent' I was actually in Paris for business. Idiots. So I got that sorted but it's still not the best.

Meh, it's not over yet. Was a bad day today though. I was trying so hard not to completely lose my temper in that meeting.

So I'll be back there tomorrow. I'll keep you all posted.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

May 31, 2009
Captain Australia wrote:Thanks for asking.

Actually, they tried to screw me worse than I expected. Not only do I get no compensation, but they are asking for my furniture allowance back because apparently it's for 4 years, and since I only worked 1.25 years they want 75% of it back. The fact that I was only on a two year contract doesn't seem to register with them !?!?!

They did offer my plane ticket home, but no moving expenses. To makes matters worse, when they first presented my figures they said I was 40 days negative in leave. I almost had a heart attack. Turns out that the days I was 'absent' I was actually in Paris for business. Idiots. So I got that sorted but it's still not the best.

Meh, it's not over yet. Was a bad day today though. I was trying so hard not to completely lose my temper in that meeting.

You need an affordable lawyer after the next meeting. :wink:
RobbyG

Jun 01, 2009
A gun would be more appopriate...
even a whip would do wonders...
Accordingly to my experience here things get done only after those who conduct the process are being shouted at. Among the majority that grew up in the conditions where they had to fight for survival ur nice and kind personality is understood as weakness... So u have to let them learn who's the male here... And I am not a "shouter"
Leda
Dubai Forums Talker

Jun 01, 2009

CA, thats total BS. By law if they paid for your moving expenses when you got here they have to do the same when you leave. You can not be held liable for the furniture allowance. You were laid off, didn't leave on your own. I don't know about you but it was clearly written in my contract that I don't have to pay it back if I was made redundant. My company was pretty fair with me when I left. The only thing I had a problem with, I didn't cancel my visa (and my family's) when I left, just didn't have time. First they told me to send our passports to them which I refused. Then they told me that I had to wait 6 months for my visa to get expired to get my final check. I went striaght to their president in Washington DC and then they agreed to issue me a check drawn on a domestic bank. I'm still waiting for it though. Almost $20,000, hopefully I'll get my check soon.
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 01, 2009

Disgusting isnt it - the very guys you slog your ass off for - they screw you every way they can in the end.

furniture is not the only thing they try to recover. I know guys who have been asked to pay for stationery (envelopes, paper, etc) used to process their documents.... cheap cheap

anyway all the best
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 01, 2009
It sounds like you need to get tough with them. Most companies don't like to hear about filing legal cases and labor compailants against them. You may need to mention that in the next meeting.

Good luck and keep us posted.

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jun 01, 2009
I caved in today and said I would sign the papers if they got rid of that repayment of furniture nonsense and they agree. So I basically got the absolute minimum they could legally give me. Buggers.

I probably could have fought it, especially because there were a few of us in the same boat so we could have done it jointly, but I'm pretty keen to get home and put this experience behind me. (experience with the company, not the UAE).

So I'm off in two weeks. It's definitely been an experience here. You are fun sometimes Dubai but other times I just want to kill you. ;-)
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Jun 01, 2009
PS: So what I actually got was:

This months pay (Duh)
End of service gratuity (Duh)
Balance of Annual Leave (Duh)
Plane ticket home (Duh)
No repayment of furniture allowance (DUH)

What I didn't get was:
Any compensation for being terminated with 9 months left on my contract
Any moving expenses for moving my stuff back home

I got all the stuff that is a no brainer, and none of the stuff that a good company would give to ease the pain of termination.

To be honest, if they had told me at the start of the month (May) what I was getting it would have been much better. The real problem is how the company treated me. False promises, lack of support, outrageous claims and finally not telling me their position until they day I was to leave.

Why is it so hard to treat your employees with a little respect? Redundancy terminations happen, they are a part of business, but you can handle them in a good way or a bad way. My company chose the bad way, and it may just bite them on the arse when word gets out.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Jun 01, 2009
probably if you move out n decide not to come back to UAE, you might as well let the word out..
kinda black list of the employers who have treated their employees badly..

any way..all the best!
xdude
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jun 01, 2009
xdude wrote:probably if you move out n decide not to come back to UAE, you might as well let the word out..

any way..all the best!

Indeed, lets spread the word around.

Captain, whats the name of your employer?
Tell us when you feel comfortable.

:wink:
RobbyG

Jun 01, 2009
RobbyG wrote:
xdude wrote:probably if you move out n decide not to come back to UAE, you might as well let the word out..

any way..all the best!

I'll tell you when I'm safely out of the country mate. ;-)
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Jun 01, 2009
Captain Australia wrote:
RobbyG wrote:

any way..all the best!

I'll tell you when I'm safely out of the country mate. ;-)

I'm glad we are on the same page here :lol: ;)
RobbyG

Jun 01, 2009
Well… what can I say Captain..??

I guess you’ve still fared better than most. I have seldom heard that a terminated worker got 100% of what he or she is entitled to. Of course there those who did better than you (without a legal fight), but not by much, and they are very few in number!

I would’ve done the same thing if I were in your shoes. Fighting it usually cost more than you might gain from the fight!

Well… take it easy with the beer and the smoking,… now that you have a lot of time on your hands! Keep us in stitches instead, with more of your funny and entertaining posts!!!

:) :)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jun 01, 2009
Cheers mate.

But don't feel too sorry. I have enough cash not to work for a year and a great experience from this crazy country.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Jun 01, 2009
Wishing you the very best Cappy. Enjoyed you and your entertaining posts. I won't say we will miss you because I know we haven't heard the last of you! Will keep checking your blog because I am sure there are going to be some interesting stories in the future.

I know you are looking forward to going home because you get to be back in the arms of your lady love.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Jun 02, 2009
Hey Capitano all set to leave.....So how are u bringing in ur final few days in Dubai? I know the packing can take a toll but Any wild partying happening?

Anyways Cheers Dude!

P.S I was kinda waiting for an announcement from you, advertising your garage sale. I'm presuming your your DVD collection would've been awesome. Alas..... :lol: :D
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 02, 2009
Captain Australia wrote:Cheers mate.

But don't feel too sorry. I have enough cash not to work for a year and a great experience from this crazy country.

Yallah.

Captain, all the best in the future and with the lady. :wink:
RobbyG

Jun 02, 2009
Cheers MCL.

No packing worries. I'm not packing ****. Got some company coming round to get it all done for me on the 13th. I'm also planning a friday brunch with my workmates on the 12th, so I hope these packing guys don't mind working around a bunch or corpses. :-)

My only worry now is the timing. I have planned things out so that I (they) pack, get cleaners in, get landlord in, get deposit back, get on plane, all within a few days. But I've been here long enough to know that nothing goes that smoothly.

As to your comment: I'm not selling anything either. I seriously considered selling everything but I figured that a thousand other expats were probably doing the same and I would get bugger all for my stuff, then I'd get home and have to buy it all again. So even though it's expensive, I'm shipping it all home.

As to the partying... well, I now have two weeks in Dubai with nothing to do and, lets face it, a ship load of cash. The only problem is that my friends have jobs. If only I got laid off at Eid or something when everyone's on holidays. :-)
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Jun 02, 2009
RobbyG wrote:
Captain Australia wrote:Cheers mate.

Yallah.

Captain, all the best in the future and with the lady. :wink:

Cheers mate.

But I'll be around for a little while longer. My question now is should I pay my Etisalat Internet bill before I go. Last time I left it for 4 months before they cut me off.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Jun 02, 2009
Captain Australia wrote:Cheers MCL.

No packing worries. I'm not packing ****. Got some company coming round to get it all done for me on the 13th. I'm also planning a friday brunch with my workmates on the 12th, so I hope these packing guys don't mind working around a bunch or corpses. :-)

My only worry now is the timing. I have planned things out so that I (they) pack, get cleaners in, get landlord in, get deposit back, get on plane, all within a few days. But I've been here long enough to know that nothing goes that smoothly.

As to your comment: I'm not selling anything either. I seriously considered selling everything but I figured that a thousand other expats were probably doing the same and I would get bugger all for my stuff, then I'd get home and have to buy it all again. So even though it's expensive, I'm shipping it all home.

As to the partying... well, I now have two weeks in Dubai with nothing to do and, lets face it, a ship load of cash. The only problem is that my friends have jobs. If only I got laid off at Eid or something when everyone's on holidays. :-)

"If only I got laid off at Eid or something when everyone's on holidays."

loool .... good one mate !!!

there's always something bigger and better out there ... :) Wishing you the very best in life Captain :)
rahulwitty
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jun 02, 2009
:) good luck
olivertwisted
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jun 04, 2009
Captain Australia wrote:
Why is it so hard to treat your employees with a little respect? Redundancy terminations happen, they are a part of business, but you can handle them in a good way or a bad way. My company chose the bad way, and it may just bite them on the arse when word gets out.

==============================================

support you,captain.
I do think the respect and understanding are the most important thing.I have 2 years contract here also,and its going to be finished soon.I do miss home and want get back,thirsty for the rain and grass.

same feeling ,there are lots of fun here ,but some timed drive me mad.
plupie
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jun 04, 2009
anyway,good luck and all the best
plupie
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jun 08, 2009
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Jun 08, 2009

Haha :D

I did all my worrying back last month, now it's all over I'm good... and constantly drunk. ha!

Decided what I'm going to do now. I'm going to team up with a 3D artist I know and start a game studio making computer games in Unity. I'll give myself a year to try and start making some cash of it, then if I can't make a go of it I'll go get a job again.

So as much as getting sacked sucked, living here has given me the opportunity (i.e. money) to try out something I've always wanted to do but couldn't afford. So it's all good. :occasion5:
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Jun 08, 2009
Captain Australia wrote:

Haha :D

I did all my worrying back last month, now it's all over I'm good... and constantly drunk. ha!

Decided what I'm going to do now. I'm going to team up with a 3D artist I know and start a game studio making computer games in Unity. I'll give myself a year to try and start making some cash of it, then if I can't make a go of it I'll go get a job again.

So as much as getting sacked sucked, living here has given me the opportunity (i.e. money) to try out something I've always wanted to do but couldn't afford. So it's all good. :occasion5:

Well there you go!!! Good things do come out of bad. Hope you end up rolling in dough Cap.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Jun 08, 2009
to CA,
you also have learned how to negotiate and protect your interests - priceless.
macjul
Dubai Forums Member

Jun 10, 2009
OK Cap, not sure if you'll be too pickled to type over the next few days or if your Etisalat will be axed early, but wishing you well with your game coding, and keep posting when you get back to Oz. Let us know your first viral online game release so we can check it out ;)

Hey by the way you almost got back home before your T20 team...strange that... :D

Cheers mate.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat