7000AED P.m. - Is It Enough?

Topic locked
7000AED p.m. - is it enough? Jan 10, 2006
Hi. I am 22yr old and no work experience. I have got a job offer from Sharaf Group. Salary - 7000 AED p.m. cash for first year and 8500 AED for second year. Nothing more except for gratuity/PF etc.

Is the salary enough? I am a bachelor and not a party guy. I also don't eat out much. I will be renting a simple room - probably single or double sharing at max.

Also, do I need to negotiate something on health benefits?

Finally, can smone pls tell me about this organization/group? Couldn't find much info about them on net except for their official site and a few news articles. Some1 pls tell me about them.

Thnx a lot.

pjoshi1983
Dubai Forum Guest

Jan 10, 2006
It is mainly an electronics organisation.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jan 11, 2006
Before we tell you if its good or bad.

1) What is the position...
2) Any other perks
3) You gender
4) Your nationality
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 11, 2006
the post is management trainee, which will get confirmed to assistant manager after 1 year. I'm an Indian male.

No other perks except gratuity (which is not a perk anyways)
pjoshi1983
Dubai Forum Guest

Jan 11, 2006
Medical, transport and accommodation can chew into your salary very quickly.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 12, 2006
Liban wrote:Before we tell you if its good or bad.

1) What is the position...
2) Any other perks
3) You gender
4) Your nationality

why do u ask that? gender , nationality! dont tell me u work in a brothel where u satisfy the demand of ur clients :evil:
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 12, 2006
Actually these are valid requests.

Men get paid higher than women almost universally.

Also westerners and western-educated professionals are usually paid more. Partly because of an inferiority complex, but mostly because there is this thing called an "Incentive fee" that is paid to westerners. If you want someone which lives in a first world country, where it's safe, and advanced, to come to work in a Third World country (even if as flashy as UAE), you have to compensate that person. (I'm not necessarily advocating it, but it's the rule in most of the Gulf states).
Linda_Stuiv
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 12, 2006
I must say that the pay is normal for a person with your background and education.

Public health insurance is cheap and not too bad... Despite what some might say.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 12, 2006
Liban wrote:I must say that the pay is normal for a person with your background and education.

Public health insurance is cheap and not too bad... Despite what some might say.

So Liban what category are u included in Canadians or Second class Arabs cos one of my lebanese freind told moi of discrimination there
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 12, 2006
The "discrimination" is explained in my post.

When you get someone from The Congo, no matter how distinguished, you don't pay them the same when you get them from Sweden. Not because the swedes are blonde, but because you'd have to pay extra to get someone to leave Sweden. Whereas anyone in The Congo (except diamond smugglers and warlords) would love to get out.

That's what is referred to as "incentive". The person which had my job before me got paid almost half what I'm getting paid. But I studied in the University of Amsterdam, and have masters in developmental psychology. She studied in Sudan, with a 6 months "course" in psychology.

The University of Amsterdam > any university in Sudan. And life in Sudan isn't like the standard of life in Holland, therefore they'd have to pay me more to come. Simple logic.

If a person who studied in the AUB (American Univeristy of Beirut) which is a good University, applies for the same job some redneck who studied in a community college in the US, applied for. Then the guy who studied in Lebanon would get it. Unless the employer has some serious inferiority issues.
Linda_Stuiv
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 12, 2006
Quote "Third World country (even if as flashy as UAE)"
You suggest that this is a Third World country????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That's hysterical!! This is as good as it gets! Oh, and I think you'll find crime rates and safety are bigger issues in alot more places!!
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 12, 2006
You're right, Dubai and the UAE generally excels in a lot of things. But sadly, what differentiates a first from a third world country is not the salaries or the hotels or the nice cars.

It is measured by the scientific research budgets, higher education quality, economy's stability and independence, the pervasiveness and magnitude of industry/heavy machinery/manufacturing/agriculture ...etc, the healthcare quality, the life expectancy ...etc.

If it was just money and buildings, The sultanate of Brunei would be on top. A small population and a good oil revenue.
Linda_Stuiv
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 12, 2006
Third world by definition now includes such a vast array of countries that incude under developed (and not likely to develop) countries to developing countries it is misleading. My point is that in layman terms it gives the wrong impression to someone who intends on up-rooting and moving here. Availability of everyday essentials and even non-essentials exceeds my homeland which is a First World country. I think you'll find too, because the UAE is an easy posting that generally expat packages here don't include the usual "perks" associated with moving to a Third World country. Having lived in developed and under developed countries this hardly qualifies as "hardship" when you can drink water from the tap here, you don't have to get up at the crack of dawn to beat the flies to the market, all your in coming and outgoing parcels aren't ripped apart censored and checked for cultural sensibility. You know your in a real Third World country when taking flagyl becomes routine (or having diaorrehea is considered normal) and you get excited when the electricity in your home works for a week without failing etc. For us the choices and lifestyle here are on par if not vaster (is there such a word?) when compared with our First World home. This place has a high standard of living. I think it excels in more things than nice cars and great hotels. Interesting I think.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 12, 2006
UAE is not third world. The only true Third World arab countries are Yemen, Mauritania & Sudan (though I don't consider the last two to be true arab countries)...

Sniper... Guess...
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Hi P Joshi Jan 14, 2006
For a starter with no experience at all..AED7K is a very good offer compared to what other Indian + India educated (sorry but discrimination whether justified or not is very much rooted in the country). However, you will have to cut corners to be able to save anything...no clubbing, do your own cooking - unless you want to eat in the cheap joints. Share an apartment with someone etc... I would say take up the job, once you are experienced and if you truly can prove to be worth the compensation dollar, the 'brown' colour plays lesser of a role in your package ...
audreygaur
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Take it up Jan 14, 2006
Oops just read your message in detail...yes if that's your lifestyle take it up. However, some kind of medical cover would be recommended....minor illnesses can set you back by 300-400 easily...Even Govt hospitals now charge expats...I know some stuff about Sharaf Group and its more than electronics..but maybe will write about it later....too late now.
audreygaur
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

i have another query also Jan 15, 2006
i also have another query. the Sharaf ppl who came to interview us told us that acco(shared)+food+a bit of partying+EMI of a second hand cheap car+petrol should all be covered in 5000 Dhirams. Is it really true?

Also, if i do manage to get a second hand car, should I stay in Sharjah (i've been told that house rents are cheaper there compared to Dubai) and do up-and-down to Dubai daily, as petrol is only 1 dirham

Can u pls tell me of some decent places in Dubai and Sharjah where I can get a house on decent rent (1500-2500 dirhams p.m.)?

Thnx a lot
pjoshi1983
Dubai Forum Guest

Jan 16, 2006
Let me address the uses seperately:

Petrol is 1 Dirham yes....but what quantity are you talking about, Petrol is also 2 Dirhams, 3 Dirhams....!!!! Petrol is not as cheap as before, although it remains cheaper than many other countries.

Living in Shj: Not really recommended, also depends on which part of Dubai you will be working in. The traffic can ruin your quality of life, eating away into your time and brain!

If you want a room by yourself and are okay with a medium quality room...you may find for 2,500 in Dubai. A good furnished room in a good building, with good location, with parking, incl Water and elec should be about 3,200 - 3,500. I will PM you about somthing I know.

Food: If you take up a monthly package with one of the small Indian restarants you would not pay too much maybe 400p.m.

Cheap car: Nothing like it....coz it can be a gamble with maintenance and repairs cost. Yes you can get low monthly payments, but it is about finding the right vehicle...although note you will not get a bank loan on very old cars.

To sum up the 'Sharaf ppl' were right with their estimate....but its a little subjective for e.g food and accom - come in a whole range (can get bed space for AED700 p.m also), food depends how particular you are.
audreygaur
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 16, 2006
Petrol is around the DH6.50 per gallon mark (varies depending on if you get super or whatever). I think a gallon is 4 litres-correct me someone if I am wrong!
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 16, 2006
4.55 l to a gallon (Uk gallon)

Dhs.7.25 for Super 98!
Dhs.6.50 for 95
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 16, 2006
Beg to differ darling- DH6.75 for the more expensive one yesterday but it could be dyslexia or senility!! :lol:
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 16, 2006
or is it 6.25?????????????? for the gallon...
audreygaur
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 16, 2006
thnx a lot for the info guys. was really helpful.

could u pls tell me, especially audreygaur (since you gave this info), names of some decent places to live in Dubai, where the acco rent on a shared basis (2 to 3 people) at 1 room for 1 person will work out to around 2000p.m. or less (water and electricity included)?

We were told that if 3 of us share a 3 bedroom flat in a centrally AC building with parking and security and utilities included, then the rent per person will work out to not more than 2000p.m.

thnx again
pjoshi1983
Dubai Forum Guest

Jan 17, 2006
Renting out an apartment for a new comer may not be that feasible, almost 99.99% will ask for cheques in advance, for which you will have to get a current account immediately. The other issue is that rent is usually paid at least quarterly...we are currently paying 6 months rent together..some places even ask for annual rent upfront. If you plan to take a 3-br and then find people to share this will be even more difficult, if you already had friends and are going to pool in, should be easier.

Just be prepared for a few things: deposit - 3-brs in good buildings can easily ask for deposit around 8-10K this is refundable when flat is vacated after deduction of all damages to apartment if any. Water and Electricity deposit AED1000. Real estate fees can range from minimum 5% to 20% of annual rent, if they get you a very good deal.

Regarding location firstly let me know where your office will be located. Bur Dubai C/AC bldg 3-br with security and stuff should be at least 90-95K per annum for a 3-br expect summer water and elec bills to be at least 1200 per month if A/C is on only from late afternoons and in the nights.

Riqqa area is cheaper probably get a 3-br for 70-80K per annum. More on this once you advise office location.

Less than 2 K per month incl water and elec possible but would have to be Window A/C very likely....as C A/c buildings are more expensive.
audreygaur
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2006
Another thing...you may have to search harder than for the families, as some buildings have a no bachelor policy. I would recommend best thing is to take up a decent room initially, and then work on getting an apartment to share.
audreygaur
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

apparts Feb 02, 2006
My god, is it so hard to find a decent place to stay in Dubai at reasonnal price? Or it's just out of reach for a non professional landing over there today? Tell me, please someone!
Duam
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 02, 2006
I know younger guys that share houses and live extremely well. You can still find villas in the Jumeirah and Umm Sequiem areas for 90 to 120 K per annum. You will be looking at an older style villa with three bedrooms-some have been renovated and some are basic, so you'll have to purchase an oven for the kitchen. Sharing this way works out quite well financially. Also where I have mentioned is an "expensive" area-close to the beach and all major supermarkets and trendy hotels and easy access to Sheikh Zayed Road and two other main roads, Al Wasl and Jumeirah Beach Roads. Don't believe people when they say you cannot find something in that range in these areas. Other areas I would imagine are much cheaper and it is just a matter of looking. Try the classifieds on line. Also as mentioned be careful with things like DEWA bills-they are high!! If you are looking for room share there are always notices up in Union Coop Supermarket regarding this & resonably priced. Karama is apparently reasonably priced for apartments.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 02, 2006
Just to quickly second what GAB wrote, One of my friends just moved into a villa in Jumeria 1 (3bd) for 95k, it is sweet, detached and has a yard. Dubai has bargins but you have to know people, in this city (well any really) it is all about the networking.

Good luck in your search.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Feb 07, 2006
[quote="Linda_Stuiv"]Actually these are valid requests.

Men get paid higher than women almost universally.

Also westerners and western-educated professionals are usually paid more. Partly because of an inferiority complex, but mostly because there is this thing called an "Incentive fee" that is paid to westerners.[/quote]

Could someone tell me more about this incetive fee??

Thanks
sweethoneybums
Dubai Forum User

Feb 07, 2006
Liban wrote:3) You gender

Bachelor is quite self explanatory :)
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Working in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Working in Dubai