Meteorite!! Anybody See What Looked Just Like One Over City!

Topic locked
Meteorite!! Anybody see what looked just like one over city! May 23, 2009
:roll:

was at the marina and it flashed across the sky like a fireball!! approx 8pm..... Looked low albeit it must have been burning up in the atmosphere.... and no I had not been drinking!! not yet at least! somebody else must have spotted it?????

:?:

monty1
Dubai Expat Wannabe

May 23, 2009
Didn't see anything, but I have seen "shooting stars" on occasion.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

May 23, 2009
so I have but this little beauty was clearly on fire..... amazing to see but I would be sad if I was the only one to see it..... once or twice in a lifetime stuff that!!

on another note I went on hols to Bora Bora in 07', quite the place!! 8)
monty1
Dubai Expat Wannabe

May 23, 2009
Crap, I'm p!ssed off if I just missed a big meteor. Dammit.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

May 23, 2009
Anybody living in JLT facing the Gulf would have seen it bearing straight down the throat on them.... would love to see a pic if anybody was lucky or fast enough....... doubt it though... that little beauty would have out stripped NASA!!!
monty1
Dubai Expat Wannabe

May 23, 2009
I'm sitting next to my window that looks out over the palm jumeriah... but, the window has the reflective glass on it so at night I see nothing but my own pretty face. Plus there have been choppers flying all day so I've stopped looking at bright lights in my periphery (sp?).

Dammit. You're very lucky.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

May 23, 2009
Captain Australia wrote:Crap, I'm p!ssed off if I just missed a big meteor. Dammit.

Hopefully somebody got it on video...

Check You Tube tomorrow...

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 23, 2009
I really hope they did..... or at least somebody else saw it, as if Im the only person to have seen it then I will start to doubt myself and my wife will think I have going totally potty!!

I need evidence to save me from the 'I told you so' wife bashings!!
monty1
Dubai Expat Wannabe

May 23, 2009
This event aside, it is quite amazing how many shooting stars you see when you go out into the bush/desert where there are no lights around and just look up. They are happening all the time but we never see them because of city lights.

When you can see one in the city like this one it means it's very large.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

May 24, 2009
I saw it too. We were on the beach on the Palm having a BBQ (and sweating our butts off), and we saw it from around Burj Al Arab all the way across the horizon where it broke up.

Absolutely spectacular thing to see. I've seen many many falling stars growing up in the American West, but never seen anything like this. I expected some sad news on news sites about a space shuttle or something, but luckily it doesn't seem to be anything worthy of news.

I really wonder what it was! It had no tail like most shooting stars, and was insanely bright! Like bright white/blue. It was moving too fast to be like a plane or something, but wasn't a crazy fast streak either. It lasted probably 3-4 seconds which doesn't sound long but when you think about it, it's very long!

-Dirk
Dirksqjaw
Dubai Forum Guest

May 24, 2009
Are you sure it wasn't the shuttle Atlantis on re-entry?
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 24, 2009
i also spotted the same thing last night at around 8:10pm, exactly as described by the guys ^

i started a thread on another local website last night & others saw it as well, just can't post the link here coz i need more posts..

if interested go to bmwclubuae . com / forum and go the the "Talk it Out" room, the thread title is "did you also see this??"
thebighash
Dubai Forum Guest

May 24, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Are you sure it wasn't the shuttle Atlantis on re-entry?

i hope you're joking!

that thing split in two before it disappeared!
thebighash
Dubai Forum Guest

May 24, 2009
what date and time did you saw it?
portland
Dubai Expat Helper

May 24, 2009
I also saw this last night, was watching TV in the marina and it streaked over the JLT buildings with incredible speed burning bright white and orange, I've seen something of this size before burning up over Germany - but it was way up in the atmosphere, this thing was either low and small or (by most accounts) high and absolutely massive. I actually called an aircraft dispatcher friend of mine to see if any airline pilots had made comments but he had not heard anything. Amazing.
xpresso
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

May 24, 2009
it was Saturday May 23rd between 8:00 & 8:15pm
thebighash
Dubai Forum Guest

May 24, 2009
thebighash wrote:it was Saturday May 23rd between 8:00 & 8:15pm

thnx , well ive search and ask friends but no new and nobody seen it...hmmm your lucky to see it
portland
Dubai Expat Helper

May 24, 2009
I saw one last year back home. I saw a white fireball with white bubbling smoke trailing it. It looked like it was just a kilometer away. I thought it was amazing (and I'm glad it disintegrated before hitting the ground!). Shooting stars are common, but to see one up close is rare indeed.
It is so rare and random, I doubt if anyone can capture it on a videocam.
pinoy1
Dubai chat master

May 24, 2009
i saw it last night too, i was outside our villa having a smoke then saw a whitish blue green light with a tail, at 1st i thought it was plane but it was moving downwards so i looked at it and it lasted for about 4 seconds then it ignited into 3 dots. damn that was amazing. most shooting stars last for about a second or so :shock: :D
xero_
Dubai forums Addict

May 24, 2009
I saw it too - i live on the 33rd floor in JBR overlooking the marina - i was just staring out the window and couldnt believe my eyes.. I was waiting to hear an explosion (thankfully not). Well im glad other people saw it and I wasnt going insane :-)
tully
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

May 24, 2009
It was a turbocharged landcruiser that drifted off course while exiting Sheikh Zayed Road at 1000 mph.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

May 24, 2009
portland wrote:what date and time did you saw it?

Last nite, between 8:00 and 8:15.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

May 24, 2009
On a related astrological note, the ISS will be viewable in Dubai on Wednesday night around 9:45pm. It will be coming from the Northwest.

http://www.n2yo.com/passes/?s=25544

edit:
Forgot to mention that it's bright enough that you won't need a telescope.
gamercowboy
Dubai forums Addict

May 24, 2009
bonk wrote:It was a turbocharged landcruiser that drifted off course while exiting Sheikh Zayed Road at 1000 mph.

It was a Pakistani truck driver's fault though.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

May 24, 2009
Captain Australia wrote:
bonk wrote:It was a turbocharged landcruiser that drifted off course while exiting Sheikh Zayed Road at 1000 mph.

It was a Pakistani truck driver's fault though.

:lol: :lol: Apparently Goddess Venus was passing by
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 25, 2009
I saw it too! I'm in Khalifa City A and saw it while sitting on my porch looking N towards AD Airport. It was huge, low, AMAZING and Beautiful- long blueish tail and white hot nose! I'm glad I found this site, otherwise I would have thought I was seeing things too since no one else I know saw it.
PamAD
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

May 25, 2009
PamAD wrote:I saw it too! I'm in Khalifa City A and saw it while sitting on my porch looking N towards AD Airport. It was huge, low, AMAZING and Beautiful- long blueish tail and white hot nose! I'm glad I found this site, otherwise I would have thought I was seeing things too since no one else I know saw it.

No no, it was just me. :lol:

I'm quite the baller myself and I just threw a baseball from Holland straight towards Yemen.

It exited the stratosphere and entered it again before burning to scrap. Hence the blue tail :wink:

Nottin' to see. Go on with the daily duties :lol:
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

May 26, 2009
Cool stuff !

I have seen many shooting stars of all sorts of out in the desert and mountains at night, but have only seen something similar to what is described above a long time ago when I was around 6 to 8 ish. Looong time back when we went to vacation back home.

It was full moon night as the electricity had gone out and we are all outside in the streets trying to beat the heat and kill time. I saw this big meteor looked quite close and passed right over head, seemed not to be travelling at too great a speed and it wasn't like a bright white light, But you could clearly make out it was a jagged rock on fire leaving behind thick darkish smoke trail.

That image has been imprinted in my mind forever, I dont remember what happened to it did it break up or crash ( although I thing we would have heard it if it did ! )
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

May 26, 2009
You guys sure it was a meteorite right? And not a UFO like the one spotted in Rio?
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat