Window Tinting....

Topic locked
Window tinting.... Jan 23, 2006
Want to tint my Mazda 3's windows....
I have seen many cars with torn and blistered sunfilm on the rear wind sheild...
any advice to prevent it..

thanxx
- n ! T h u n -

newimprovednf
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2006
Yeah, advice: don't go to Satwa! hahahahahahahaha. Seriously, there are one or two shops there that are good.

Just make sure you get 3M window tint. Normally they will offer you 3 or 5 year fade warranty.

If you are Westener, then they will offer you only 30% tint. Thats the max we are allowed, or is it 40%, can't remember now. Do not get the sun-strip across the top of ya windscreen, looks pants!

I would recommend a shop accross from Lamcy Plaza. It's an Audio shop, but they offer good swervice and do a very, very good job. It's not cheap though, but it will not peel or bubble. If it does, you take it back.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 24, 2006
yorky500 wrote:Yeah, advice: don't go to Satwa! hahahahahahahaha. Seriously, there are one or two shops there that are good.

Just make sure you get 3M window tint. Normally they will offer you 3 or 5 year fade warranty.

If you are Westener, then they will offer you only 30% tint. Thats the max we are allowed, or is it 40%, can't remember now. Do not get the sun-strip across the top of ya windscreen, looks pants!

I would recommend a shop accross from Lamcy Plaza. It's an Audio shop, but they offer good swervice and do a very, very good job. It's not cheap though, but it will not peel or bubble. If it does, you take it back.

If you don't mind me asking, when you say not cheap, what kinda ball park are they?? Yes i know i'm just being lazy and could call them.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Jan 24, 2006
If I remember, I paid Dhs350 for my Sports car. I think it would be around Dhs500-550 for a decent sized 4x4.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 24, 2006
Hey thanx guyz... i shall visit dat shop near lamcy....

- n ! T h u n -
newimprovednf
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 24, 2006
yorky500 wrote:If I remember, I paid Dhs350 for my Sports car. I think it would be around Dhs500-550 for a decent sized 4x4.

thanks, not too shabby.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Jan 24, 2006
Thats soooooooooooooooooo cheap, an average car in UK would cost about 15,000Dhs a big 4x4 20,000Dhs
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jan 24, 2006
arniegang wrote:Thats soooooooooooooooooo cheap, an average car in UK would cost about 15,000Dhs a big 4x4 20,000Dhs

You have got to be kidding me!!! :shock:

In Canada its the equivalent of 600AED.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 25, 2006
hey buddy thats 100 % kiddin.... AED 15000 its toooooooo much
hehe...
- n ! T h u n -
newimprovednf
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 25, 2006
I kid not - honest

our petrol is equiv approx 30 Dhs a gallon!!!

Service on my Jeep Al Futtain Motors 750 Dhs

My BMW 7 series service in UK same 4000 Dhs

oil change 800Dhs

:cry: :cry:
arniegang

Jan 25, 2006
hey arniegang...
actually wat are u talkin about.....
I never can believe if u say need AED 15000 for tinting a car or even a huge sized 4 X 4...

if wat u r sayin is true.... i'm dropin ma plans to visit UK... haha

- n ! T h u n -
newimprovednf
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2006
yorky500 wrote:If I remember, I paid Dhs350 for my Sports car. I think it would be around Dhs500-550 for a decent sized 4x4.

You were pretty much right on the money, I went there yesterday and priced them out, they quoted 600 before any discount discussions.

They had a couple cars in the room and i watched them work on one, looked very sharp. I'll let you know if I decide to go with them and how it all turns out.

the price is comparable to Canada, to tint my P5 ran me CDN 160 or about AED450 for 3m, 5 year warranty, gradient tint.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Jan 26, 2006
Nice one. Thye are pretty decent bunch of guys and gals.

What % tint did you look at.

There are cheaper places to go, but I found them very good and at the end of the day, you get what you pay for.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 26, 2006
yorky500 wrote:Nice one. Thye are pretty decent bunch of guys and gals.

What % tint did you look at.

There are cheaper places to go, but I found them very good and at the end of the day, you get what you pay for.

The 50% 5 year guarantee 3m is really nice but I haven't committed just yet, I've only had the car for 17 hours, need to make sure it runs okay first.

There are considerably cheaper, I know a guy that'll do the car for AED 150 but I'm a little hesitant and am looking for good references, it is silly in my opinion to spend X thousands on a car and then make it look like trash to save a few hundred.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Jan 26, 2006
newimprovednf wrote:hey arniegang...
actually wat are u talkin about.....
I never can believe if u say need AED 15000 for tinting a car or even a huge sized 4 X 4...

if wat u r sayin is true.... i'm dropin ma plans to visit UK... haha

- n ! T h u n -

sorry 1500 Dhs

:oops:
arniegang

Jan 29, 2006
hey guyz.. i got it tinted with 3m film for 300 bucks...
awsome work... did it from a shop behind emarat petrol pump near old dubai cinema...

cheers
- n ! T h u n -
newimprovednf
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 03, 2006
Yeah, Satwa tinting is a roll of the dice.

Agree with Yorky. HSV (Head Start Vision) opposite Lamcy's is a good place for quality 3M tinting. Standard price list is 750AED for an average sized car - family sedan. Of course you talk them down from there and you get a 5 year warranty against bubbling, peeling and fading.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 03, 2006
I ended up going to a place in Sharjah to get mine done, a recommendation from another acquaintance.

Ran me AED 150 for 9 windows (SUV) but not 3m and not installed in a dust free area as it should but a 3 yr warrenty. In talking to the guy I found out an interesting tidbit. I guess there is a lot of fake 3m going around here, unless you are an expert you won’t really notice the difference but the email address on the box is wrong. Check the 3m packaging and if the email address is XXXXX@mmm.com instead of XXXXX@3m.com be suspicious. (don’t know how reliable the source is though)
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Feb 03, 2006
My goodness, look at the pices you are talking about!!

I paid Dhs140 for 50% all round, and 75% on the rear window (American tint).

2-years, and still looks new. All done from the inside of the car, NOT the outside, that's why some tints fade and turn white-ish later on.

Come to Deira, come to Salah El Din road, go to Al Yassmine Building, there is a shop called Super Dark, they did 3 of my cars, as well as all my friends (at least 3 i can think of), no complains.
hosrom_951
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 03, 2006
tint should always be on the inside!!

if they say on outside - walk away
arniegang

Feb 03, 2006
arniegang wrote:tint should always be on the inside!!

if they say on outside - walk away

very true, I have however seen tint on the outside here, trash.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Feb 06, 2006
Outside? Haha... now that's gotta be a first... Talk about cutting corners!

Tint can fade on the inside too - mostly cheap Taiwanese stuff. Most 'cheap' American tinting will still be metal based so shouldn't turn even after a few years.

Still a nice price there Fayz.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 06, 2006
XRW-147 wrote:Outside? Haha... now that's gotta be a first... Talk about cutting corners!

Tint can fade on the inside too - mostly cheap Taiwanese stuff. Most 'cheap' American tinting will still be metal based so shouldn't turn even after a few years.

Still a nice price there Fayz.

Thanks, I should add one caveat though, I’ve noticed one 1mm air bubble on the back window and a couple other minor imperfections overall I’m happy and it is under warranty if I ever get my lazy a$s back there, overall I’m happy but it is worth mentioning you do get what you pay for and 3m is a more forgiving tint to apply.

The stuff I got was the “cheap American”, has the statue of liberty on it but they did say there was a cheaper option if I wanted, I’m guessing that would have been the Taiwanese.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Feb 06, 2006
Maite, I'm not too picking when it comes to this. I have a few little dust bits in my tint even though it's 3M and applied at the approved fitter etc but I figure a spec of dust here and there is not worth the trouble of driving back and having a new sheet put on. End of the day it does what its suppose to.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 01, 2006
My Honda dealership is charging 410 for tinting my civic.

What do you guys think? And apart from the following, any other place where I can get good 3m tints done?

1. behind emarat petrol pump near old dubai cinema - AED300
2. HSV (Head Start Vision) opposite Lamcy's - AED750
3. Salah El Din road, go to Al Yassmine Building - AED140

Also, how long does this take? I dont have to leave my car with them do I?

Thx
A64Venice
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 02, 2006
I'm curious about this, have sometimes thought about getting windows tinted but ...

How much difference does it make to inside temperature when parked in sun?

How noticeable is it when driving at night (for the driver trying to see I mean)?
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 02, 2006
The dealership gave me tinting free of charge when I got my car.

1) Tinting does make the car noticeable cooler
2) Tinting protects the leather seats
3) Seeing at night is not a problem if you try to stay legal. Beyong 50% you will not see anything (legal is 30%).
4) Paying 300 MAXIMUM for top of the line 3M tints is the most you should spend for a passanger car. Add maybe 100 more for a 4x4
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 03, 2006
sharewadi you can get V-cool which is clear tint that will have the cooling effects but wont affect the color of your windows.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 03, 2006
Thanks for the info. I'd heard about V-cool and wondered what it was. Good to know :).
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Window tinting.... Mar 13, 2010
Yup, the other posters are spot on.

3M window film will provide you with a 5year warranty against peeling, bubbling, fading etc.

We are 3M Authorized dealers and would be happy to help you out.

Visit our website at http://www.agefilms.com for further info.

Thanks.

Salman
SQ
Dubai Forum Visitor

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto