Sacking Bag Update

Topic locked
Feb 26, 2009
ITP Publishing House - 10% and suspended / closed several titles

http://www.7days.ae/storydetails.php?id ... 0publisher

noaman
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 26, 2009
Amlak, Tamweel and other major banks have made lot of expats redundant. The same applies to Government departments ... though lot of staff have been given extension till May or June. The reality will strike then and it will be hard, but good for the long term development of this region. If the growth would have continued in the same light, then the fall would have been harder.

This fall will also hopefully make companies realise that just by hiring western expats does not mean success. All are humans and you can only succed by getting the best of the world. I hope the companies are lot careful in risk analysis and build wealth and not leverage. They need to look at IRR in a more realistic manner.
worldguy
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 26, 2009
City7 cuts 90 jobs in Dubai
http://www.arabianbusiness.com/547707-c ... job-losses

ITP Publisher cuts 60 jobs
http://www.arabianbusiness.com/547980-i ... s-and-jobs

Media sector is being hit significantly.
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Feb 26, 2009
worldguy wrote:Amlak, Tamweel and other major banks have made lot of expats redundant. The same applies to Government departments ... though lot of staff have been given extension till May or June.

Would you know which govt departments are these?!?!
noaman
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 31, 2009
Limitless lays off 38 staff
Angela Giuffrida

Last Updated: March 31. 2009 11:42AM UAE / March 31. 2009 7:42AM GMT Dubai property developer Limitless has made 38 staff redundant and is reviewing the pace of its developments as a result of the global economic downturn.

The cuts, which equal seven per cent of its total workforce, have been made across the board at the firm’s Dubai head office and at some of its global offices.

“We have made a difficult but necessary decision in response to current market conditions,” said a Limitless spokesman.
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 31, 2009
I know one Consultancy that went from 247 staff down to 42
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 31, 2009
Does any one have figures of Banks and Investment companies in the UAE?
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 01, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:Does any one have figures of Banks and Investment companies in the UAE?

You could always try the financial times
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 01, 2009
sage & onion wrote:I know one Consultancy that went from 247 staff down to 42

Yes I know quite a few but I guess we are trying to update this thread as "official" news. Or are we?
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 01, 2009
K-Dog wrote:

Yes I know quite a few but I guess we are trying to update this thread as "official" news. Or are we?

Sometimes it's difficult to get official news as you put it, for some reason so many people/companies are simply denying that their is a problem whilst they send their people to the airport.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 01, 2009
sage & onion wrote:
K-Dog wrote:

Sometimes it's difficult to get official news as you put it, for some reason so many people/companies are simply denying that their is a problem whilst they send their people to the airport.

I hear you brother Onion.
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 02, 2009
Emirates airline offers staff unpaid leave
Staff Report
Published: April 01, 2009, 23:20

Dubai: Emirates airline yesterday announced that it has decided to offer unpaid leave to its cabin crew.

"After a careful review of our operational requirements, we have decided to offer our cabin crew staff the opportunity to apply for unpaid leave on a purely voluntary basis, starting from May 2009. In anticipation of our growing fleet, Emirates' recruitment efforts over the past 12 months have been highly successful in meeting our operational requirements. Combined with a sharp drop in cabin crew attrition, we now find ourselves in a position to be more flexible as an employer," an Emirates spokesperson said in a statement.

"We believe some of our staff will welcome the opportunity to take time off to pursue personal interests such as: further studies, hobbies, or simply to spend time with family and friends," the airline said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cabin crew may opt for unpaid leave from a period of one month up to a maximum of six months. "While on leave they will still be employees of the airline, and continue to be eligible for various benefits including paid accommodation and travel concessions."
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 02, 2009
B. Farrow, the GM of Hertz UAE, and the guy who wrote safety columns here and there, got fired. I found out while randomly browsing FB groups and coming across his open profile.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Apr 02, 2009
K-Dog wrote:Emirates airline offers staff unpaid leave
Staff Report

Dubai: Emirates airline yesterday announced that it has decided to offer unpaid leave to its cabin crew.

"After a careful review of our operational requirements, we have decided to offer our cabin crew staff the opportunity to apply for unpaid leave on a purely voluntary basis, starting from May 2009. In anticipation of our growing fleet, Emirates' recruitment efforts over the past 12 months have been highly successful in meeting our operational requirements. Combined with a sharp drop in cabin crew attrition, we now find ourselves in a position to be more flexible as an employer," an Emirates spokesperson said in a statement.

"We believe some of our staff will welcome the opportunity to take time off to pursue personal interests such as: further studies, hobbies, or simply to spend time with family and friends," the airline said.

Cabin crew may opt for unpaid leave from a period of one month up to a maximum of six months. "While on leave they will still be employees of the airline, and continue to be eligible for various benefits including paid accommodation and travel concessions."

This was clearly a moment I've been waiting for to see happening. Unavoidable in current circumstances.
RobbyG

Apr 03, 2009
K-Dog wrote:Emirates airline offers staff unpaid leave
Staff Report

This was one of the most significant indicators yet.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 03, 2009
Parting words from Emirates HR before you go on your unpaid leave:

"In the event we need to get in touch with you, please let us know where you can be reached."

In other words:

"Please let us know where we can reach you to let you know that you have been made redundant."
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 03, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:Parting words from Emirates HR before you go on your unpaid leave:

"In the event we need to get in touch with you, please let us know where you can be reached."

In other words:

"Please let us know where we can reach you to let you know that you have been made redundant."

positive note: O my, are you a stewardess BB? how lovely. ;)
negative note: Are you made redundant?

kissy to my kitty
RobbyG

Apr 03, 2009
RobbyG wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:Parting words from Emirates HR before you go on your unpaid leave:

In other words:

positive note: O my, are you a stewardess BB? how lovely. ;)
negative note: Are you made redundant?

kissy to my kitty

:cat: Can you feel it? :tongue7:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 03, 2009
Like being 'snowed' upon :lol:

Whats next for you? Any options?
RobbyG

Apr 03, 2009
RobbyG wrote:Like being 'snowed' upon :lol:

Whats next for you? Any options?

The Hump has been getting "Snow" dumped on him, while a certain "Red" faced individual is on the attack. Something to do Russian women turning really ugly when they hit a certain age. Unfortunately I started that and The Hump is getting the flack.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 03, 2009
todays Finacial Times

Bovis Homes and Land to shut down all Middle East Operations and Projects to concentrate and pull resources back to the UK Market.
arniegang

Apr 03, 2009
arniegang wrote:todays Finacial Times

Bovis Homes and Land to shut down all Middle East Operations and Projects to concentrate and pull resources back to the UK Market.

Wise decision.
RobbyG

Apr 05, 2009
Limitless, developer for Arabian Canal claiming reduction of 7% of its workforce according to following article:

http://7days.ae/storydetails.php?id=760 ... job%20cuts

In reality, the job cuts will be the only thing Limitless. Pun intended! :sad11:
dresden
Dubai chat master

Apr 08, 2009
A friend working for Dubai Holding said they have laid off around 500 hundred staff combined as in all there sister companies combined like mizin etc etc
Luckly he is still on the payroll.
desertdudeshj

Apr 08, 2009
has anyone on the forum been personally made redundant?
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 08, 2009
rudeboy wrote:has anyone on the forum been personally made redundant?

I wonder if you ever actually READ a post. Numerous have past my eyeball.

You should pay more attention to regular posts
RobbyG

Apr 08, 2009
RobbyG wrote:

this FLY is really buzzzing around. seriously no1 can hear this fly???
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 08, 2009
rudeboy wrote:
RobbyG wrote:

this FLY is really buzzzing around. seriously no1 can hear this fly???

Do you always use someones jokes in reverse!? :)
RobbyG

Apr 08, 2009
arniegang wrote:todays Finacial Times

Can you send me the link to that article.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat