Looking At Buying A Car, Couple Questions.

Topic locked
Looking at buying a car, couple questions. Jan 31, 2009
Hey guys, long time reader, first time poster. Just a little background on myself, i'm an ASE master tech from Florida back in the USA. I've been working as a technician in Afghanistan for the last 5 years and just recently moved to Abu Dhabi and started with a new job.
I've got a 150,000 AED budget to buy a car or truck here, and have a few questions. I have no desire to buy a brand new car, since i'd void the warranty anyways playing around with the engine and exhaust. so i'm looking for something I can sink my hands into.
1. I've heard that in RAK or UAQ you can find rare or grey market models of cars. Say I do find a JDM car that I want, would registering it in RAK or UAQ make it easier because of the vehicle inspections and emissions tests? I'm referring to, say in example, I find a 98 or 99 Skyline with modifications. Would it be possible to to buy and register it in those emirates, but drive it here in AD?
2. Are there any restrictions as to how HIGH a vehicle can be? I have been tempted to buy a slightly older Tundra or Silverado and bolt a 8 or 11 inch lift kit to it. Are there any laws that might prevent this or make it fail inspection?
3. I have access to a local friend's garage and tools, so I plan on doing all my own installations and tuning, but I guess it all boils down to being able to pass inspection and then modifying the car. I guess basically in a nutshell, what could I get away with after the inspector's had a look at my car? I'm just wondering how some of my fellow expats get around with having tuned cars but not using waasta when it comes to the law.

Thanks for the help guys, look forward to talking with you!
Eli

Hulahula
Dubai Forums Talker

Feb 02, 2009
1. Car registration in one emirate does not restrict you to driving in that emirate. There are new rules about registering old cars - no new owner after 10 years, no renewal for same owner after 20. But the rules may not be set in stone, and you may find it easier to register in smaller emirates.

2. Bridges I guess.

3. I think the UAE is more restrictive than many other countries. Ask the traffic police. Again, smaller emirates might be less strict.

Here's more about buying a car in the UAE :).
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Feb 02, 2009
Thanks for the reply,

1. I know about the registering rules, but Shiek Zayed has indefinitely postponed that for the time being because it would have affected so many people. I was more under the impression that if I bought a car in those emirates, would I even be able to register it, as my residence visa and UAE license originate in Abu Dhabi. The only reason I'd want to register a car outside of AD is if it's modified, and only if the car would not pass inspection here.

2. Yeah the only things that came through my mind were bridges and parking garages. But does anyone have any information from the RTA that would restrict the truck's height?

3. I'm not too worried about this part, I do have a local friend with some serious waasta with the local police so maybe I can find some loophole.
Hulahula
Dubai Forums Talker

Feb 03, 2009
1. Ah. You would have to export it to Abu Dhabi from emirate where you bought it.

2. Check with the RTA but remember the RTA governs roads in Dubai, not Abu Dhabi. I haven't seen that many lifted trucks. Or try the forums at www.evolve.ae or www.dubaipetrolheads.com
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: Looking at buying a car, couple questions. Feb 03, 2009
Hulahula wrote:Hey guys, long time reader, first time poster. Just a little background on myself, i'm an ASE master tech from Florida back in the USA. I've been working as a technician in Afghanistan for the last 5 years and just recently moved to Abu Dhabi and started with a new job.
I've got a 150,000 AED budget to buy a car or truck here, and have a few questions. I have no desire to buy a brand new car, since i'd void the warranty anyways playing around with the engine and exhaust. so i'm looking for something I can sink my hands into.
1. I've heard that in RAK or UAQ you can find rare or grey market models of cars. Say I do find a JDM car that I want, would registering it in RAK or UAQ make it easier because of the vehicle inspections and emissions tests? I'm referring to, say in example, I find a 98 or 99 Skyline with modifications. Would it be possible to to buy and register it in those emirates, but drive it here in AD?
2. Are there any restrictions as to how HIGH a vehicle can be? I have been tempted to buy a slightly older Tundra or Silverado and bolt a 8 or 11 inch lift kit to it. Are there any laws that might prevent this or make it fail inspection?
3. I have access to a local friend's garage and tools, so I plan on doing all my own installations and tuning, but I guess it all boils down to being able to pass inspection and then modifying the car. I guess basically in a nutshell, what could I get away with after the inspector's had a look at my car? I'm just wondering how some of my fellow expats get around with having tuned cars but not using waasta when it comes to the law.

Thanks for the help guys, look forward to talking with you!
Eli

Eli,

get yourself registered on www.evolve.ae/forums which is a pretty damn good petrohead Site here in the UAE, there you can ask all the questions you want.

Cheers
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 23, 2009
Sorry I don't listen to people who spam every thread and don't bother reading the original post.
Hulahula
Dubai Forums Talker

Mar 23, 2009
Ahhh so someone doesn't like being followed around and spammed! Don't talk shit when you can't even spell, no one will take you seriously.
Hulahula
Dubai Forums Talker

Mar 23, 2009
Dubai Forums
the message board for Dubai English speaking community
Hulahula
Dubai Forums Talker

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto