UAE Is In Panic Mode Now...

Topic locked
UAE is in Panic mode now... Jan 29, 2009
have you seen the streets lately?
it seems more and more people are leaving UAE.

I talked different people and a lot of them say most of the people they know are leaving.

it's just sad that a lot are leaving.

i even heard a lot of british are also leaving and panic selling their properties due to get a better value rather than watching their investments go to drain.

one of the news paper (i think gulfnews or national) said that about 800,000 indians are leaving.

with the high expenses in almost all areas of living, i think the government should consider the price of rent, their rules about visas, price of groceries and stuff and many others.

like most of the others, i do hope that they can save a beautiful country like UAE.

andrewg
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 29, 2009
I saw also on the news yesterday that the Government of Dubai are calming down investors especially under real estate sectors.
andrewg
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 29, 2009
Ohh... and banks are even finding ways in retaining their clients as most of them are closing down their account.

One of my friend also told me that their including some charges to their account without notice. so check your accounts as well because you might be surprise there are additional charges added.
andrewg
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 29, 2009
There will always be expats coming to Dubai. This "freefall" will come and go.

If you made sound investments to start with, you will be able to ride out the storm.

If you were one of the speculators trying to make a quick buck... well, you brought this on your damn self... so don't complain.
easy come, easy go!

Cheers!

P.s, UAE is not in panic mode... the speculators who lost a bucketload are in panic mode, no matter local or foreigner :)
dresden
Dubai chat master

Jan 29, 2009
I will come with my "Spätzlepresse" to make big money...LOL

Dresden, you can bake STOLLEN
TheChoosen
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 29, 2009
I'm only saying what's on the news/

Actually i'm happy where I am now. I just want to say that people living here should just check out what's happening because there are a lot of things that could happen and slip through you without knowing.

people should be more careful in everything.

And don't lose hope. everything will turn out fine.
andrewg
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 29, 2009
andrewg wrote:Ohh... and banks are even finding ways in retaining their clients as most of them are closing down their account.

One of my friend also told me that their including some charges to their account without notice. so check your accounts as well because you might be surprise there are additional charges added.

Yep. recently got all of my money out of this place and was told at the bank that many others doing the same.

All of my spending has been cut back for the time being.
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 29, 2009
AndrewG,
You reiterate what Arniegang said on the other thread, about the 45 pc drop in Villa prices, but yo make it sound even worse. Is a lot of the building on stop then? How much have property values dropped from peak?

The major problem is that when all the building work is finished [not ALL] , then Dubai's market is going to be flooded with far more property, espially from 2010 to 2015.
It seems to me that there has been GREED . It is beyond common sense. Caution was thrown to the wind when all this was planned.
If there is a GLOBAL RECESSION....a DEEP ONE.....it could last 7 years and oil could fall to 30 dollars a barrel, cutting off some of the finance.
Besides Abu Dhabi has most of that, not Dubai.

Piers Morgan has a prog on ITV tonight in which he is VERY BULLISH about Dubai!! No recession according to Piers......"RECESSION- PROOF" HE CLAIMS!!

He has been given more than FREE DINNERS......he's had FREE DINARS!!

If he is lying, the rest of the Press will have him!!

it is DOG EAT DOG out there!!
What JOBS in the UK are these expats coming back to??
People are LOSING JOBS DAILY......BIG STYLE.......IN THE UK!!
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 29, 2009
The difference between Dubai and say the UK, US, Can and Aus is that when a recession hits people may loose their jobs but they still have their family and a place to live called HOME.

In Dubai people loose their job, and they leave the country

It isn't rocket science.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jan 29, 2009
thatz sad news , mind me being mean for a sec but i take it from the positive side but now less traffic m less money to taxis ..yay :D
loly
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jan 29, 2009
Well the greed on the part of the expats is still out there. Those who are rushing to sell their property still think that they are entitled to a $$$2 million profit over what they originally paid for it. Good luck.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: UAE is in Panic mode now... Jan 29, 2009
andrewg wrote:one of the news paper (i think gulfnews or national) said that about 800,000 indians are leaving.

Was there a total eradication of Indians I am not aware of? Most of the Indians in Dubai are still there, sharing rooms and crowding parking areas.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Re: UAE is in Panic mode now... Jan 29, 2009
gtmash wrote:
andrewg wrote:one of the news paper (i think gulfnews or national) said that about 800,000 indians are leaving.

Was there a total eradication of Indians I am not aware of? Most of the Indians in Dubai are still there, sharing rooms and crowding parking areas.

Uh oh I read that as "sharing rooms in crowded parking areas"..

On a serious note, Indians are definitely leaving their cars at DXB. Check out thisarticle.
zzzane
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 29, 2009
arniegang wrote:The difference between Dubai and say the UK, US, Can and Aus is that when a recession hits people may loose their jobs but they still have their family and a place to live called HOME.

It isn't rocket science.

True enough m8
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 30, 2009
arniegang wrote:The difference between Dubai and say the UK, US, Can and Aus is that when a recession hits people may loose their jobs but they still have their family and a place to live called HOME.

It isn't rocket science.

Can't refute pure logic.

No job = No reason to stay.
dresden
Dubai chat master

Jan 30, 2009
Arnie,

You miss my point re losing jobs!!
If people in the UK are losing their jobs .....THEY are not going to visit Dubai are they? Nor will they buy property there!!

They won't go to Dubailand either.

The expats in Dubai are there to fill their pockets , sure........but Sheikh Mo has really got them there to build the tourism and holiday infrastructure ...........to attract MILLIONS MORE LATER to holiday in Dubai!!

Those holidaymakers and punters are not going to come from the WEST if the WEST is losing ITS JOBS!!

That was my point . Without the holidaymakers and house purchasers ...............the expats are NOT NEEDED in the first place.....because, let's face it .......A LARGE CITY CALLED DUBAI IS NOT NEEDED !!

What is being built in Dubai CAN ONLY THRIVE in a bubbling , buoyant , GLOBAL economy ! It can NEVER thrive in a recession .......because the west will stay at home or choose cheap holidays just down the road.....a TWO HOUR PLANE HOP .........to Spain!!

Dubai is out on a limb ....especially for NOT-SO-WELL-OFF people !
Burj-al-arab and the 5 star hotels are for the rich.............BUT DUBAILAND is for a DIFFERENT MARKET.......the volume market that goes to Disneyland and is used to CHEAP FLORIDA HOTELS!!

Where are they in Dubai??
For Dubailand to succeed, Dubai would have to COMPLETELY CHANGE ITS ETHOS !! DUBAI NEEDS ORDINARY 10 MILLION WORKING CLASS PEOPLE ON HOLIDAY.........NOT ITS CURRENT RICH MIDDLE CLASSES !!

Furthermore, where is the EQUIVALENT of the cheap "Monarch" flight into Dubai?? Do Easyjet and Ryanair fly there ? NO !

If you are going to cater for the masses....you need CHEAP FLIGHTS for a start.
There have to be BIG changes for Dubai to succeed with what is being built!!
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 30, 2009
Seems like Brits are leaving Dubai...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=571376
andrewg
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 30, 2009
andrewg wrote:Seems like Brits are leaving Dubai...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=571376

That's almost 3 months old, I would venture to say that the situation is worse now.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 30, 2009
My relative (local) visited immigration a few times to take back deposit last week. He told me that he had never seen so many people who camcelled their visas. It looks like a few thousand per day...
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 30, 2009
On the brighter side... atleast traffic will ease up?
dresden
Dubai chat master

Jan 30, 2009
yet according to DNRD (reported on City 7 news a few days ago) there is no increase in the cancellation of visas.

Nothing like a good bit of spin eh?
ogri750
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jan 31, 2009
"Repeat a lie often enough, and it will become the truth"

Some western politician had made this comment prior to beginning of this thread.

That same 'ethos' is prevalent amongst westerners and their mass media today as well; repeat often that there is a 'global' recession since the Western economies are in doldrums, and it will become the truth!

Reality is as long as anybody is not entirely or largely dependent on the West, they are safe from the Western financial crisis.
muslimbangladeshi
Dubai chat master

Jan 31, 2009
dresden wrote:On the brighter side... atleast traffic will ease up?

Nope, still bad.
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 31, 2009
went out last night and the roads were PACKED as usual. so not sure which ppl have left :D. but i guess the coming 2 to 3 months will tell if there is a huge difference.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 31, 2009
rudeboy wrote:went out last night and the roads were PACKED as usual. so not sure which ppl have left :D. but i guess the coming 2 to 3 months will tell if there is a huge difference.

A Friday night is hardly representative. Its the commuter traffic everyone is saying about not friday nights
arniegang

Jan 31, 2009
arniegang wrote:
rudeboy wrote:went out last night and the roads were PACKED as usual. so not sure which ppl have left :D. but i guess the coming 2 to 3 months will tell if there is a huge difference.

A Friday night is hardly representative. Its the commuter traffic everyone is saying about not friday nights

Well I don't see difference in commuter traffic either, everyday when people leave from offices sheikh zayed is jammed as always.
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 01, 2009
DNID official figures are between 1300 and 2000 visa cancellations...PER DAY!

No official figures for the number of new visa issues.

As Arnie says; in other countries if you lose your job you either look for new work or register as unemployed and take the government hand out.

No such system here for the ordinary workers: Lose your job, and its on the plane home.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Feb 01, 2009
Dubai Knight wrote:DNID official figures are between 1300 and 2000 visa cancellations...PER DAY!

No official figures for the number of new visa issues.

As Arnie says; in other countries if you lose your job you either look for new work or register as unemployed and take the government hand out.

No such system here for the ordinary workers: Lose your job, and its on the plane home.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight

honestly i hope more and more ppl leave so less trafic and probably give other "nicer" ppl a chance to rebuild dubai :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 01, 2009
Less traffic! Try coming back to Dubai from Ajman on a Saturday afternoon! What should have taken me 30 mins, took over 2 hours!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 01, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Less traffic! Try coming back to Dubai from Ajman on a Saturday afternoon! What should have taken me 30 mins, took over 2 hours!

I thought the traffic was down yesterday, I do the same route from Deira to Al Barsha every Saturday at the same time. I remarked at the time that it was a little lighter
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat