Economic Climate

Topic locked
Economic climate Jan 05, 2009
Hi there,

My husband and I are thinking of coming out to Dubai to work. He is a senior graphic designer and I am a secretary. I just wanted to get an idea from people what the economy is like - I know construction has been hit but am I being realistic to hope to find work in our chosen professions and have a nice quality of life in 2009?

Any thoughts appreciated.
C

Cal
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Jan 10, 2009
"Look before you leap"
ArchitectRoel
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 11, 2009
Thats y she is asking you bt nobody is there to share their experience
alishan
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: Economic climate Jan 11, 2009
Cal wrote:Hi there,

My husband and I are thinking of coming out to Dubai to work. He is a senior graphic designer and I am a secretary. I just wanted to get an idea from people what the economy is like - I know construction has been hit but am I being realistic to hope to find work in our chosen professions and have a nice quality of life in 2009?

Any thoughts appreciated.
C

Where are you from? All sectors have been hit. Its a global recession.
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 11, 2009
Hi Cal

All sectors are affected especially those related to real estate. Mind you, construction went down because real estate is down and has dominoed to other sectors such as hospitality,consumer goods, manufacturing etc.
professionals are willing to take a cut on their salary to keep their jobs.

i work in the recruitment business and to tell you frankly i somehow sense a desperation when i am speaking with candidates. some sent the families back home since they cannot afford to keep them here anymore & would accept a job anywhere.

if you have a good job where you are right now... my advice is to stay put for now and wait it out until the economy improves. even if both of you find a job, if things go bad you will be the first to be retrenched because in organization restructuring the rule of thumb is "last in/first out". needless to say, relocating to another country is financially draining. also the rates for secretaries now if you are lucky and have uae experience the highest might be 5-6k but the average is 3-3.5k & the cost of living is not going down.

hope this helps!
global_headhunter
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Working in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Working in Dubai