Can I Start Work Before Residence Permit Is Stamped?

Topic locked
Can I start work before residence permit is stamped? Sep 02, 2008
Hi folks, after I enter Dubai on an employment visa, I understand I'll have to obtain a health card and do the medical test then the company will apply for a residence permit for me. But can I legally start working before the residence permit is stamped on my passport? Please advise.

Sean2008
Dubai Forum Visitor

Sep 02, 2008
So long as you have your employment card I think you're ok.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Sep 02, 2008
Yes, that sounds right.

A residence visa on its own does not allow you to work anyway.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Oct 10, 2008
hi friends, just wanna have few questions, i have an offer as a restaurant manager in dubai,what are the requirments in getting residence visa and how long does it takes?
wengsanz
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 24, 2008
I think you are allowed to work with the visit visa. I worked for 1 month and 15 days without my resident visa or employment card. They will process during that time your resident visa and your employment card.

I am not sure how long it will take but it will be fast if you have all the necessary documents with u or else it will take very long time to process.
ivanlim84
Dubai Forum User

Nov 24, 2008
Same here, came here on a visitors visa (60days) and started working straight away. Obviously we applied for my resdiancy & employment visa immediately but they have only just arrived and its been three weeks now. medical needs to be done before the visa appln though.
seardarren
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Nov 24, 2008
As long as the employer can show proof that they have applied for the labour card then both you and he are in the clear.

Failing that it is illegal to work on a visit visa, the penalties are normally fines, but can also be deportation.

By law, the employer has 30 days to provide you with a labour card after the process has started. If you don't have a card after this time or have still not been for your medical then you are working illegally and should consult the Labour Department.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Nov 24, 2008
As long as the employer can show proof that they have applied for the labour card then both you and he are in the clear.

Failing that it is illegal to work on a visit visa, the penalties are normally fines, but can also be deportation.

By law, the employer has 30 days to provide you with a labour card after the process has started. If you don't have a card after this time or have still not been for your medical then you are working illegally and should consult the Labour Department.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Nov 25, 2008
You have employement card. Thats OK
dubaihotels
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 25, 2008
SIGH! :shock:

"You have employement card. Thats OK"

another brilliant answer ....
dbxsoul
Honored Member