Local Vs Expat Thread

Topic locked
Local vs Expat Thread Nov 16, 2008
If anyone has been reading the local papers for quite some time now, they will notice the following:

If a crime has been committed by an expat, they will readily disclose the nationality of the expat. If a crime has been committed by a local, they will not be any mention of nationality.

If a local run down a pedestrian, it is the pedestrian's fault and "He was responsible for crossing from a non-designated area". The local will just get a few months and get out fast. If an expat hits a pedestrian, it is the driver's fault and he has to cough up all the blood money, and grow old in jail.

Other personally experienced/witnessed incidents

If you are an expat…….
1) ……Be prepared to allow locals to break the queue.
2) ….and driving along a one way road and even if you reach the other end, be prepared t reverse back all the way for a local.
3) ……be prepared to take the blame for whatever happens on the road.
4) ……be prepared to go to get booked, jailed, fined, deported for no reason at all.

And so on…….why don’t readers add to the above list….. :-)

michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 16, 2008
i've personally experienced #2 more than a few times,, one way roads, one way lanes for parking-- and i was the one expected to back up, else he would 'threaten' me by trying to move his big SUV forward so i get out of the way.
studstar
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 21, 2008
ya so ?
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: Local vs Expat Thread Nov 24, 2008
michaeldubai wrote:If a crime has been committed by an expat, they will readily disclose the nationality of the expat. If a crime has been committed by a local, they will not be any mention of nationality.

That's crap. Gulf News has stories about Emiratis committing crimes all the time. Here is one from today. What are you talking about?
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Nov 24, 2008
Yeah CA I agree, 7 Days also has stories of Emiratis all the time.

These rules don't apply much anymore.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Nov 26, 2008
1) All nationalities break the queue, i see it all the time and they all get fined it caught, even UAE nationals

2) Doesnt really make sense, maybe because they have bigger cars? might be true, cant say anything as I didnt experience it..

3) Everyone is blamed for whatever happens on the road, if its your mistake, you get blamed, if not, you dont

4) Can you share an example?

When UAE nationals "run down" a pedestrian, they pay blood money too (or the insurance covers it, based on the policy). Both UAE nationals and expats get same jail time, Expats MAY get deported based on the reason (mistake or drinking and driving), they cant deport a UAE national can they???
hamadl
Dubai Forums Talker

Dec 01, 2008
yeah, well try to explain the case of the guy who ran down an old woman in his hummer. 10 years??? what kind of sentence is that. for murdering a woman?
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

Dec 10, 2008
I'm not singling anyone out, but it really seems some people are disgruntled on these forums and that many times people call them on what sound to be bogus or exaggerated complaints.

I wish the mods would take a tougher stance on this so people researching can have a better feel for how things really are.

It just seems some posts are inherently biased, or that some are half-truths.
compevo
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Dec 10, 2008
compevo I agree with what you say and I think it has many causes. Firstly lots of people are new to the country and don't understand exactly how things work (like me) so they have to reply on word of mouth and stories they hear around the place. This obviosly has the Chinese Whispers problem.

Related to this is that there is a lack of official sources for information, or reliable and stable sources at any rate. I've noticed laws or regulations being introduced here and it seems like everyone is running around trying to get the full story (visas and ID cards for example), instead of a government press release or the like showing people unequivicably (sp?) how it is. So people talk and get bits of information from wherever they can.

Plus a lot of people get peeved off because things here are not like where they came from. I know I did, and still do. Too hot, service sucks, traffic is bad, Emiratis are all rich and lazy blah blah blah.

It's funny, in the last few months I have finally found a few mates and got a bit more comfortable with my life here, but if you had talked to me six months ago I would have had nothing but scorn for the place. At the end of the day no-one has a gun to our heads to be here. If you don't like it, go home. Problem solved.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Dec 10, 2008
michaeldubai wrote:yeah, well try to explain the case of the guy who ran down an old woman in his hummer. 10 years??? what kind of sentence is that. for murdering a woman?

But according to your first post he should have gotten off scott free, because he is local. :roll:

You sound like you hate the place. When is your flight home?
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Dec 10, 2008
Things are getting better, but things don't always go in favour of locals. Take the young guy that was killed by a drunk Belgian who smashed into the back of his car as he was pushing it, as he's run out of fuel.

The guy got a few months and blood money then he was out.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Dec 11, 2008
haha, number 2, reversing for a local.
No way man.
I guess it probably comes down to who is in the biggest hurry.
I've sat and outwaited many a fool coming the wrong way. There is a Burger King drive Thru beside me which is a prime example, the amount of people who see it as a shortcut the wrong way is unbelievable
CVB
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Dec 15, 2008
I appreciate people like you giving a balanced perspective on things.
It's like this for anything, I hear lots of stories about certain places and when you visit you often find things are far different than they were described.

I think this may have a lot to do with the person, a lot of places I've visited where people say they've had trouble, I haven't seen any trouble.

I think it comes down a lot to your attitude and respect for others when traveling. I'm sure there are bad places and experiences to be had, but I always ask how much of it was brought on by the actions of the person complaining?

Captain Australia wrote:compevo I agree with what you say and I think it has many causes. Firstly lots of people are new to the country and don't understand exactly how things work (like me) so they have to reply on word of mouth and stories they hear around the place. This obviosly has the Chinese Whispers problem.

Related to this is that there is a lack of official sources for information, or reliable and stable sources at any rate. I've noticed laws or regulations being introduced here and it seems like everyone is running around trying to get the full story (visas and ID cards for example), instead of a government press release or the like showing people unequivicably (sp?) how it is. So people talk and get bits of information from wherever they can.

Plus a lot of people get peeved off because things here are not like where they came from. I know I did, and still do. Too hot, service sucks, traffic is bad, Emiratis are all rich and lazy blah blah blah.

It's funny, in the last few months I have finally found a few mates and got a bit more comfortable with my life here, but if you had talked to me six months ago I would have had nothing but scorn for the place. At the end of the day no-one has a gun to our heads to be here. If you don't like it, go home. Problem solved.
compevo
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Dec 17, 2008
If only locals are standing in queue then new person (local) will join in the queue, if expat are standing in queue then the nwe person (local) never stand in queue. You can see this kind of activities alot in public places. Most of the locals treat expat in inhuman ways.

Insha Allah, tomorrow we will stand first in front of Allah.
ind_in_dxb
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Feb 14, 2009
I am not sure about this as I have seen locals also queue up..for eg., airports, you don't see any local jumping a queue. There may be a few who are in a great hurry..locals and expats alike..look at our roads, it is not only the locals who cut lanes..practically every one is cutting lanes.

For me, Dubai is the place to be in..
wp7200
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Feb 14, 2009
I've only dealt with impatient locals on the roads, as far as shopping centers or government facilities i've only seen a couple folks try to jump the line.
It was pretty funny though when I went in for my Residence Visa physical and saw several older Emirati's try to jump the line, when they were turned back by the Emirati women manning the payment and photo stations BOY you should have seen how they carried on :)
But all respect for Locals, it's their country, and we're only guests.
Hulahula
Dubai Forums Talker

posting in Dubai Black listForum Rules

Return to Dubai Black list