Have These People No Shame Or Sense Of Diginity

Topic locked
Have these people no shame or sense of diginity Dec 14, 2007
Before I begin I will apologize to those of you that this may offend but we do not really know what else to do as the situation is becoming intolerable.

It is indeed a sad day when a mother or female relative can't even go to the open beach in Ajman or walk down the street without being ogled & accosted by groups of locals, Indians and Pakistanis to render services of the carnal nature. Now we all now that this sort of thing is rife here in the UAE but really when it is only 10 o'clock on a Friday morning and they can clearly see that the woman in question, (my wife or in this case her sister) are accompanied by children what in the hell do they think they are doing?

Supposedly there are laws here to protect women but when there isn’t a policeman in sight and I’ve never seen a police patrol on foot, what are you to do? My sister was scared to death of not only her safety but also of the safety of my 5 year old boy this morning as they just wouldn’t leave her alone and even chased them most of the way home..

We have been living here for the past 6 years and have always felt uneasy with the seedier side of what makes the UAE tick but really this sort of behavior is making us seriously consider our future here for the sake of the women & children.

If these low lives really want to rent such services why can’t they frequent the type of establishments where these services can be obtained and leave the decent folk alone so we can get on with enjoying what is otherwise a lovely country.

We’d appreciate any suggestions we can legally make to report these perverts to the Police.

Gamesmaster
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Dec 14, 2007
Where's the doubt? Just report it to the police with descriptions of their faces. Occassionally they do something.

Never heard of any issues in our Karama (Dubai) in the last 25 years, and this area is considered a shithole by some (although it's not). I'd say Ajman is a real shithole. Move out of there.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 15, 2007
DO NOT LET YOUR WIFE OR KIDS GO OUT ALONE.

They are dirty insensitive feckers...I wont even get started on it.

Open forum...blah,blah

Fight fire with fire my friend.
gezza
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Have these people no shame or sense of diginity Dec 15, 2007
Gamesmaster wrote:Before I begin I will apologize to those of you that this may offend but we do not really know what else to do as the situation is becoming intolerable.

It is indeed a sad day when a mother or female relative can't even go to the open beach in Ajman or walk down the street without being ogled & accosted by groups of locals, Indians and Pakistanis to render services of the carnal nature. Now we all now that this sort of thing is rife here in the UAE but really when it is only 10 o'clock on a Friday morning and they can clearly see that the woman in question, (my wife or in this case her sister) are accompanied by children what in the hell do they think they are doing?

Supposedly there are laws here to protect women but when there isn’t a policeman in sight and I’ve never seen a police patrol on foot, what are you to do? My sister was scared to death of not only her safety but also of the safety of my 5 year old boy this morning as they just wouldn’t leave her alone and even chased them most of the way home..

We have been living here for the past 6 years and have always felt uneasy with the seedier side of what makes the UAE tick but really this sort of behavior is making us seriously consider our future here for the sake of the women & children.

If these low lives really want to rent such services why can’t they frequent the type of establishments where these services can be obtained and leave the decent folk alone so we can get on with enjoying what is otherwise a lovely country.

We’d appreciate any suggestions we can legally make to report these perverts to the Police.

Did these people actually ask your wife and/or sister "to render services of a carnal nature"?

I know there is a lot of ogling/staring everywhere and specially in sharjah and ajman. We've experienced that but never in a "threatening" manner and certainly never accosted (applies when mrs. concord is alone). Nor has anyone asked anything of mrs. Concord (maybe they know that she will kick their ar$e or hit them with the nearest object but...).

I've heard many complain about the staring (which frankly I blame more on the circumstances and culture than anything else - bunch of single males living away from families and not seeing women for their entire stay except a few hours on a Friday, perhaps). Staring is "natural" under those circumstances although it should not happen...

I've heard others complain but some of their complaints are borne more out of racism than anything. By that I mean that the same people complaining at indians and pakistanis staring at them would, if stared at by a bunch of ways in a Beach in the French Riviera or Greek islands would not complaint but think of it as a "compliment" and love the attention...

Now direct threats and asking someone "to render services of a carnal nature" are another matter...

Here is the solution: Go with you wife and sister to the beach. You stay in your car away from them but nearby. If the behaviour complained of in this post happens then they make 2 calls. 1) To the police at 999 and 2) To you immediately after. Then you can 1) Confront the bastards and 2) be there when the police arrive. Even better, if she has one of those fancy phones that record and have a camera then she should record the incident. The police will want to know "who said what to whom, etc.)"

Staring alone may not be a crime and a group of people should not be made to "pay" because of perception or what one or two said. The offenders should pay.

Where your wife and sister are from? I say if they are Western and white, there is no doubt that they will be stared at. I would if I were isolated like some of the pakistanies, indians, etc. The locals mentioned on your post have no excuse.

If you go to Italy expect the same... and from the Italians...
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Have these people no shame or sense of diginity Dec 15, 2007
Gamesmaster wrote:Before I begin I will apologize to those of you that this may offend but we do not really know what else to do as the situation is becoming intolerable.

Did these people actually asked your wife and/or sister "to render services of a carnal nature"?

I know there is a lot of ogling/staring everywhere and specially in sharjah ajman. We've experienced that but never in a "threatening" manner. Nor has anyone asked anything of mrs. Concord (maybe they know that she will kick their ar$e or hit them with the nearest object but...).

I've heard many complain about the staring (which frankly I blame more on the circumstances and culture than anything else - bunch of single males living away from families and not seeing women for their entire stay excep a few hours on a Friday, perhaps). Staring is "natural" although it should not happen...

I've heard other complaint but their complaints borne more out of racism than anything. By that I mean that the same people being stared at by a bunch of ways in a Beach in Cancun, Daytona Beach, Barcelona, Monte Carlo would not complaint but thing they are "pretty" and got the attention...

Now direct threats and asking someone for "to render services of a carnal nature" are another...

Here is the solution: Go with you wife and sister to the beach. You stay in your car away from them but nearby. If the behaviour complained of in this post happens then they make 2 calls. 1) To the police at 999 and 2) To you immediately after. Then you can 1) Confront the bastards and 2) be there when the police arrive. Even better, if she has one of those fancy phones that record and have a camera then she should record the incident. The police will want to know "who said what to whom, etc.)"

Staring alone may not be a crime and a group of people should not be made to "pay" because of perception or what one or two said. The offenders should pay.

I am curious to know where your wife and family are from? I say if they are Western and white, there is no doubt that they will be stared at. I would if I were isolated like some of the pakistanies, indians, etc. The locals mentioned on your post have no excuse.

Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 15, 2007
Good point Concs. In Italy they would have had their a$ses pinched!

There is a clause and code of conduct in the UAE Federal Law that protects women against this kind of direct abuse. The police need to be there to witness a case of harrassment that can be prosecuted but you can make a formal complaint at the police station. You need the names of the offenders unfortunately.

At Dubai public beaches, there are regular police points actually along the beach, backed up by motorised patrols. Not sure if this is the case in Ajman.

I am reminded of the case a few years ago of two young Russian girls who were sunbathing on he beach in Ajman in bikinis and were obviously quite 'attractive' as they garnered a huge crowd of Indian and Pakistani onlookers. The police were duly called and moved the crowd along immediately...only to call all their mates and take up residence in the staring gallery!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Dec 15, 2007
Goog points Concs. The situation in Ajman seems to worse, but in Dubai, I have never seen any such incidents reported besides the usual staring.

What pisses me off now is that due to the whining women in Dubai, cameras and single men are looked at with suspicion by the roving patrol cars, and I am concerned about being hauled off to jail for doing a photoshoot on the beach.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 15, 2007
funny enough.. This is in the culture forum!! it should b in the cultureless forum..
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Dec 15, 2007
Thanks for the comments received so far and yes the persons in question asked "How much?" and in front of my boy too, which I find mind boggling. Good job he doesn't understand yet what they mean.

My sister in law as my wife is of African decent, while I'm European and she was fully clothed in a non revealing dress on the most recent approach just looking after the boy as he was playing in the sand.

While the suggestions of entrapment below using the phone are an optiopn I want to be able to do something a bit more proactive and wondered if a person can make a citizens arrest here and not themselves get locked up in the process?
Gamesmaster
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Dec 15, 2007
Gamesmaster wrote:Thanks for the comments received so far and yes the persons in question asked "How much?" and in front of my boy too, which I find mind boggling. Good job he doesn't understand yet what they mean.

My sister in law as my wife is of African decent, while I'm European and she was fully clothed in a non revealing dress on the most recent approach just looking after the boy as he was playing in the sand.

While the suggestions of entrapment below using the phone are an optiopn I want to be able to do something a bit more proactive and wondered if a person can make a citizens arrest here and not themselves get locked up in the process?

Actually, you can get locked up in the process, so you better plan your escape route and disguise beforehand.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 15, 2007
Gamesmaster wrote:Thanks for the comments received so far and yes the persons in question asked "How much?" and in front of my boy too, which I find mind boggling. Good job he doesn't understand yet what they mean.

Sorry, there is no such thing as a 'Citizens Arrest' here. The police are the only people empowered to arrest and charge an offender here. An attempt of this type in a situation where there are a lot of males around who may be friends of the offender, is likely to escalate a situation into one which could get 'out of hand' and not end too well for you.

Dubai has a confidential phone line set up to allow you report incidences such as these and they will then put some plain clothes CID on the case. Not so in any of the other Emirates I am afraid.

:( :( :(

Knight
Dubai Knight

Dec 16, 2007
This has been discussed on numerous occasions in the past. It happens on every public beach - goto Jumeira Beach Park on a Friday where every white female is starred at.
arniegang

Dec 17, 2007
I noticed in Jumeira beach park that they no longer let guys not in "beach wear" near the water, i.e., long-sleeved shirts, slacks, and leather shoes. Why do they go there in those anyway? :?
pinoy1
Dubai chat master

Feb 14, 2008
I think nice beating would be the best cure for these animals....
honestly if every insulted husband/brother/father of insulted woman would beat up at least one of these shites and then report them to police, they might slowly start developing a reflex ....

hate them....
JMK
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 04, 2008
cover the women up in burkas :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 04, 2008
Gamesmaster, funny question but what nationality is your wife an her sister?

My friend lives in Ajman an she gets it all the time, she is one of the few 'white' women here, and in the 5 minute walk from her apartment to work, gets honked at, propositioned, one guy even followed her to her apartment and pretended to be a police officer and barged his way into her apartment.

Most of these guys are chickens, if you turn and conront them, hold up a camera phone and take their picture and threaten with the police, they'll run a mile. They prey on women they consider weak, if you stand up to them and tell them how disgusting they are, they run away with their tail between their legs - trust me I've done it!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 04, 2008
you will get loads of ppl who stare. well in this part of the world its a normal thing. i mean who wouldnt stare if there was a sweet chicka walking down the street showing some skin :D i do it all the time and i m sure all the men in this forum do it as well :D. if you are flaunting something obviously you will get some attention. let it be good or bad :D.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 04, 2008
Well quite frankly you can't blame some of these guys, who've been away from their wives for years on end. Staring I can cope with, to an extent, but when they start taking photos, tryin to touch you, or proposition you, that's crossing a line.

Also some women sadly don't understand what country they're living in, and will go to certain areas wearing unsuitable clothing, like the malls or souks, where it's best to wear something modest.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 04, 2008
Chocoholic wrote:Well quite frankly you can't blame some of these guys, who've been away from their wives for years on end. Staring I can cope with, to an extent, but when they start taking photos, tryin to touch you, or proposition you, that's crossing a line.

Also some women sadly don't understand what country they're living in, and will go to certain areas wearing unsuitable clothing, like the malls or souks, where it's best to wear something modest.

yep agree with chocopops here. you should wear sensible clothes for the right place. so you can cope with staring han :P
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 04, 2008
Chocoholic wrote:Well quite frankly you can't blame some of these guys, who've been away from their wives for years on end. Staring I can cope with, to an extent, but when they start taking photos, tryin to touch you, or proposition you, that's crossing a line.

I am surprised that it isn't at lot worse than this. One guy ripped a wild wadi advertisement out of a magazine on our doorstep he was that desperate. I wanted to buy him a six dvd from one of the dvd ladies to help him relieve some frustration.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

staring Nov 05, 2008
Concord wrote:

Did these people actually ask your wife and/or sister "to render services of a carnal nature"?

I know there is a lot of ogling/staring everywhere and specially in sharjah and ajman. We've experienced that but never in a "threatening" manner and certainly never accosted (applies when mrs. concord is alone). Nor has anyone asked anything of mrs. Concord (maybe they know that she will kick their ar$e or hit them with the nearest object but...).

I've heard many complain about the staring (which frankly I blame more on the circumstances and culture than anything else - bunch of single males living away from families and not seeing women for their entire stay except a few hours on a Friday, perhaps). Staring is "natural" under those circumstances although it should not happen...

I've heard others complain but some of their complaints are borne more out of racism than anything. By that I mean that the same people complaining at indians and pakistanis staring at them would, if stared at by a bunch of ways in a Beach in the French Riviera or Greek islands would not complaint but think of it as a "compliment" and love the attention...

Now direct threats and asking someone "to render services of a carnal nature" are another matter...

Where your wife and sister are from? I say if they are Western and white, there is no doubt that they will be stared at. I would if I were isolated like some of the pakistanies, indians, etc. The locals mentioned on your post have no excuse.

:wink: I've heard many complain about the staring (which frankly I blame more on the circumstances and culture than anything else - bunch of single males living away from families and not seeing women for their entire stay except a few hours on a Friday, perhaps). Staring is "natural" under those circumstances although it should not happen...

:( I've heard others complain but some of their complaints are borne more out of racism than anything. By that I mean that the same people complaining at indians and pakistanis staring at them would, if stared at by a bunch of ways in a Beach in the French Riviera or Greek islands would not complaint but think of it as a "compliment" and love the attention...

totally agree; although understand their reality of being away from wife and family, I still feel uncomfortable in times.. also see myself not complaining when stared at on London underground ...
ashamed :? :? :?
muyesser
Dubai forums Addict

Dec 03, 2008
I think staring is still ok but sometimes I find it uncomfortable. Stare with courtesy. Dun stare till eye balls fall out and start following the girl with your eyes. I do admit I stare at pretty girls but not stare till like wanna eat them.. wahhaa..

The worst I have experienced with my frens (girls) are taxi drivers. When the taxi driver are alone with my fren, they start to be very very rude. One of the taxi driver asked my fren to touch him. I dun wanna know where he wans her to touch. Luckily she already reached her house and got down immediately from the taxi.

Girls, please becareful in the taxi. Scold them or beat them if they start doing these kind of rude things towards you.
ivanlim84
Dubai Forum User

Dec 03, 2008
i could not bare a second incident with citi taxi as my first was over unfair charge that i had to argue for over the phone almost a week..

the only thing I could do last time i was seriously made uncomfortable by a driver was to make an excuse that i did not have the change for his fare and ask him to stop by the restaurant i'm regular to get the money changed..
i explained to the owner what happened as far as my little arabic allowed me.. you wouldn't like to see what the restaurant owner did to the driver, i myself couldn't dare to look and was quite worried that the police would be involved..
I am fairly sure the driver is either left the profession or not driving the same distance any more..

xl
muyesser
Dubai forums Addict

Dec 14, 2008
Let's cover the men in burkhas so that we can't see them staring. :lol:

Concord, I disagree with your statement about many women being racist in their complaints about male attention. You can tell the difference between a man who looks at you like you are beautiful, and one who looks at you like you are a piece of meat they want to do dirty things to. If a man calls out to you that you are beautiful, it is a totally different thing than a man calling out to ask how much money you will accept to have s.e.x with them. Also, a pack of men standing over a woman tanning on a beach is blatantly treating like meat, as opposed to a group of guys sitting together only watching briefly (and giving comments of appreciation) as women pass by. The nature of the oogling is different, and the perception of violation or threat to safety is felt in a different way in these circumstances. Many women feel uncomfortable about male attention that differs from their own cultures, and I've heard women complain about oogling men in Greece and Italy as well. Heaven help any Italian man who tries to pinch my a.s.s. :lol:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Dec 26, 2008
This is ubiquitous in everywhere,what you have to do is protecting yourself (if you are female),or always accompanying with your female friends(mom/wife/sister/daughter).
wonderful2009
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat