Internet-access

Topic locked
Internet-access Oct 04, 2005
Hi all! :-)

I will be moving to Dubai in three weeks and I have a question regarding internet-access.
I know that it is only possible to access the net via a proxy-server... but how about internet-telephone software like skype (www.skype.net).
Is it possible to use such software?

Another question... anyone knows which german tv-channels are available?

cheers,
Benjamin

bschmidt
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

German TV Oct 07, 2005
You might be able to get DW-TV (Deutsche-Welle) in the UAE. Certainly, DW-TV can be found in much of Asia with programs in German and English. Also, I think that they have an Arabic service as well.
OldAsiaHand
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 07, 2005
My understanding is VOIP is technically illegal here but if you have Skype already loaded on your pc it will work but you can’t go to the website to recharge your credits (assuming you are calling pc to phone)/download upgrades, etc. You could get a contact outside of the UAE to add credit to your account though as a workaround.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Oct 07, 2005
... or find a friend working in Internet City, or living in Greens / Springs etc. who had direct internet access (not through Etisalat).

(Etisalat are *really* p!ssed at this - which is why they won't make decent mobile telephone sub-stations in these areas. So _really_ bad mobile connections)

Although I've just checked - Etisalat isn't blocking www.skype.com today?!

- Stuart
Stuart
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 03, 2006
Stuart wrote:... or find a friend working in Internet City, or living in Greens / Springs etc. who had direct internet access (not through Etisalat).

(Etisalat are *really* p!ssed at this - which is why they won't make decent mobile telephone sub-stations in these areas. So _really_ bad mobile connections)

Although I've just checked - Etisalat isn't blocking www.skype.com today?!

- Stuart

thanks for that valuble bit of info Stuart. This explains was mobile reception in my appt in Dubai Marina is crap. To get min reception we have to hang over edge of our balcony 14 floors up eeeekkk, Also all emaar properties are "tied" to DIC (prev Sahm).
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jan 03, 2006
Does Etilisalat block BitTorrent search pages? I use Torrentspy.com to download tv programmes from the States?

I have a 2mb connection at the moment - how much would that (or higher) cost in Dubai? Is the cost different if you have direct connection in Springs?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 03, 2006
fayz wrote:My understanding is VOIP is technically illegal here but if you have Skype already loaded on your pc it will work but you can’t go to the website to recharge your credits (assuming you are calling pc to phone)/download upgrades, etc. You could get a contact outside of the UAE to add credit to your account though as a workaround.

morons are so backward hahahha
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Got here yesterday. Jan 03, 2006
I arrived in Dubai, from London, in the wee hours of the morning yesterday. Even so, I've been to the office the very same day. Anyhow, I didn't experience any trouble using Skype from my residence here. And what I gathered from my new colleagues is that Bit Torrent works too but download speeds are miserable it seems.

Good luck to you mate!
Guilo2
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum