Teenage Girl New To Dubai - Meet Friends

Topic locked
Teenage girl new to dubai - meet friends Sep 24, 2008
Hi there,
Can anybody offer any information? My daughter eighteen has just come to live with me in Dubai, does uni by correspondence (media, communication and art) and is quiet by nature until knows you. Want to get her to meet some people her own age, don't know where to go. Any teenage social groups? Movies, art, fun?

lillian
Dubai Forum Guest

Sep 24, 2008
is she studying in dubai? if it still not, its defficult to her to find a group of young people to go with, but maybe in your area parents also have children, maybe she can socialize with them..
Xyler
Dubai Forums Member

thx for reply Sep 24, 2008
No, she is not studying from a university in Dubai, as said, she is studying through correspondence so working from home.
lillian
Dubai Forum Guest

Sep 24, 2008
had a friend in a similar predicament..... its tough...in the end she got a part time position in a nursery in Jumeirah (i think), and just came out of her shell. working in the morning, and studying in the afternoon.

Good luck with all.
onthepalm
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 24, 2008
thanks so much. Have already got her on to preparing a cv. Also thinking of enrolling in short art couse or something. Maybe that will be the way to go.
lillian
Dubai Forum Guest

Sep 24, 2008
Yes, you might find a short course at one of the universities or colleges at Knowledge Village or Academic City. Both places are full of young students. If she's into media etc, then KV is near Media City so might be a better choice. Or join a sports/hobby club. The Dubai Film Festival (held in December) is probably looking for volunteers. They are mostly young people.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Sep 24, 2008
Suggest joining a reputable gym or an activity club.... its the best way to make new friends and settle in
DPS
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 24, 2008
They are looking for volunteers to help out at the Rugby 7's as well. Thats a great social scene for the younger generation. Dubai is hosting the Womens IRB Rugby 7's World Cup this year too. Even more chance.

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Sep 24, 2008
dubai is less social and ppl are more conservative compared to West. Most of my friends I made are through cold approach. First they were taken back by how talkative I was then they opened up. Some ways to meet ppl are :

1, learn new language (j' apprends francais a l' alliance francais Dubai)
2, Join volunteer
3, Clubs - most ppl here are young (make sure dont go to Deira ones)
4, Get into hobby groups like dubai dragon boat (festival city) , scuba group (lemme know if u r interested)
5, Some forums like this one or dubbizle.

If she is into media she HAS to be social if she is to make any impact into her career as I had many female friends into PR, communication they were very social and made strides in their career. Best way to overcome shyness is to talk to random ppl and join speaking club which are available in Dubai.
desert surfer
Dubai Forums Talker

Sep 27, 2008
hey im a teenager here new to dubai also so tell her to give me an email at nickamin2005 at gmail dot com and i can introduce her to the people i know and slowly network through that. My beginning days for terrible being alone.
nickamin
Dubai Forum Visitor

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat