Being Female In Dubai

Topic locked
Being Female in Dubai Sep 13, 2008
I am considering applying for a teaching position in Dubai. What is life like as a female in Dubai? How restricting is it? How westernised is it? And of the Western community, what percentage of it would u say are British? I am also single... How easy is it to meet hot western men?... or failing that, just Western men! What are the restrictions on drinking alcohol in Dubai?

3biscuit3
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Sep 13, 2008
Hello, I am a female teacher considering applying for teaching positions in Dubai I have heard good and bad thing about life in Dubai as a female. I would like to know how restricting it is as I want my experience to be fun as well as fruitful!
3biscuit3
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Sep 13, 2008
you will have to wear black from head to tow, you cant drive or work and you'll get stoned to death for picking up hot men. Alcohol is punishable by death too.
maximusprime
Dubai forums Addict

lol!!!! Sep 14, 2008
maximusprime wrote:you will have to wear black from head to tow, you cant drive or work and you'll get stoned to death for picking up hot men. Alcohol is punishable by death too.

dubai is sweet as, as long as your respectful of the culture and religion i wuld go for it :)
kusham
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Sep 14, 2008
maximusprime wrote:you will have to wear black from head to tow, you cant drive or work and you'll get stoned to death for picking up hot men. Alcohol is punishable by death too.

I really thought that forum is supposed to help each other out. I know that your either trying to be sarcastic or funny but either way it is a disgrace.

To answer your question, I have been in Dubai for 6 months now. Dubai is the most progressive Middle Eastern country. Its probably 10 times more secure for you as a female than your home country, UK. Females can live however they choose to, however there are certain areas where you want to live as a single western girl. There are tons of bars and nightclubs with no cover charge for females. Although I wouldn't use any bars to meet an opposite s*x member for a serious relationship but you'll have no problem meeting hot men for casual relationships.

I hope this helps. PM me if you have any specific questions/concerns.
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 14, 2008

If you are joking, you should indicate that you are joking.
Pike
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 14, 2008
lighten up guys I was joking. I forgot people in this part of the world haven't quite figured out the whole humor thing yet (or addresses for that matter). Dubai is fine for women. dont do anything stupid and you'll be fine (seems to be a hard rule to follow for the brits though!). Just repect the locals blah blah blah (meaning keep your mouth shut when they jump in front of you in line or run you off the road in their land yachts).

All kidding aside, Dubai can be a fun place to be. You can drink all you want, just dont do anything stupid, Im sure you can find a "hot western" cowboy to keep you warm at night, but dont go for a screw on the beach or it could cost you about six years. Seriously, just use some common sense.
maximusprime
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 14, 2008
I knew you were joking max but the point is many people use this forum as a guide before thier move. They may not know that you are joking with all the Islamic stereotypes.
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 14, 2008
K-Dog wrote:I knew you were joking max but the point is many people use this forum as a guide before thier move. They may not know that you are joking with all the Islamic stereotypes.

True, I too used this site for advice before I made the move, but if you are looking for all the comforts of home then you are probably better off staying home. I asked tons of questions before I came but was it anything like I expected? no way. I say, take a chance, make the move and if you dont like it, go back home.

It is an interesting place to be, and fun too now that the weather is getting nice again. It can be as white as you want it to be depending on where you live, or you can go for the full cultural experience. All the flashy cars and beautiful people you could ever ask for. No music or art scene whatsoever (unless you are into techno, then I suppose its paradise). Good place for outdoor activities like scuba diving, desert driving, etc. Great place to make money, actually, I think western teachers get paid pretty well here. Living is expensive, no way around it, rent is friggin high.

I say go for it, you wont regret it. Try to make friends with people from other countries, force yourself to stay away from things that are familiar. You will feel yourself grow and change on a daily basis. Chances are when you go back home it will feel totally different but you will realize the only thing that is different is you. It is a good thing to do , go for it.
maximusprime
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 14, 2008
maximusprime wrote: lighten up guys I was joking.

I think most assume you were joking....

maximusprime wrote:
Just repect the locals blah blah blah (meaning keep your mouth shut when they jump in front of you in line or run you off the road in their land yachts).

Its funny, I have been here for just over three weeks, and based on my observations, its the westerners who drive like maniacs. The few emiratis I have met were always friendly and courteous. Its usually the westerners and other groups who are pushy.
Pike
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Being Female in Dubai Sep 14, 2008
3biscuit3 wrote:How easy is it to meet hot western men?

Best place is elevators in summertime. Everyone is hot then, and they'll be really sweaty and smelly too ;).

1. Good fun.
2. Not very.
3. Very.
4. Don't know but more than enough for most people.
5. Easy if you're hot too.
6. Very easy. Finding a good one is a different story though.
7. Most noticeable is no sidewalk cafes/bars with alcohol. Technically you need an alcohol license.

This might be of some use to you also - teaching in Dubai.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Sep 14, 2008
Pike wrote:

maximusprime wrote:
Just repect the locals blah blah blah (meaning keep your mouth shut when they jump in front of you in line or run you off the road in their land yachts).

Its funny, I have been here for just over three weeks, and based on my observations, its the westerners who drive like maniacs. The few emiratis I have met were always friendly and courteous. Its usually the westerners and other groups who are pushy.

Just give em time, you aint seen bad driving until you've been to Sharjah.
maximusprime
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 14, 2008
maximusprime wrote:
Pike wrote:

maximusprime wrote:

Its officially in Janes Weapon Guide that the most lethal instrument of death in the world...is an Abu Dhabi plated 4X4 with blacked out windows.

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Sep 15, 2008
Life for a woman in Dubai is pretty cool. It depends how u wanna live it.
Jazib
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Sep 15, 2008
maximusprime wrote:
Pike wrote:

maximusprime wrote:

Well, if thr westerners (and I am a westerner) can get it to a 10-3 ratio, I'll pop a cork....no pun intended!
Pike
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 15, 2008
Pike wrote:
maximusprime wrote:
Pike wrote:

maximusprime wrote:

Well, if thr westerners (and I am a westerner) can get it to a 10-3 ratio, I'll pop a cork....no pun intended!

Just make sure you have an alcohol license first!

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Sep 15, 2008
Pike wrote:Well, if thr westerners (and I am a westerner) can get it to a 10-3 ratio, I'll pop a cork....no pun intended!

I dont get it
maximusprime
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 15, 2008
Dubai Knight wrote:
maximusprime wrote:
Pike wrote:

maximusprime wrote:

Its officially in Janes Weapon Guide that the most lethal instrument of death in the world...is an Abu Dhabi plated 4X4 with blacked out windows.

8) 8) 8)

Knight

I have to disagree with you DK, I think the worst driving standards are in Saudi Arabia
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 15, 2008
sage & onion wrote:
Dubai Knight wrote:
maximusprime wrote:
Pike wrote:

maximusprime wrote:

8) 8) 8)

Knight

I have to disagree with you DK, I think the worst driving standards are in Saudi Arabia

Egypt has got to be up there somewhere as well. I was amused the first time I went there to find that no-one in the countryside uses their lights at night, as they believe it makes the battery flat...fine, but I was riding a motorbike and that was brown trousers time!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Sep 16, 2008
maximusprime wrote:
Pike wrote:Well, if thr westerners (and I am a westerner) can get it to a 10-3 ratio, I'll pop a cork....no pun intended!

I dont get it

I am not sure which part you don't get, but my guess is this... we were discussing about westerners vs emirati or arab drivers, since most are muslim, then they do not drink. Yes, its a loose connection.

I don't know who it was,... but last night I was driving and a car sped up and the head light disappeared (didn't notice until then). I thought the car went around me, but it didn't. This idiot was tailgating me at 100 km/h. I took the foot off the gas, but didn't really slow down just to see what s/he do. He stayed back there for awile...didn't get over until we reached a circle or roundabout. Anyway,... four other cars manage to know that a polite quick flick of the highbeam is the proper signal. AND yes, I was travelling above the posted speed!
Pike
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 16, 2008
Pike wrote:
maximusprime wrote:

I dont get it

I am not sure which part you don't get, but my guess is this... we were discussing about westerners vs emirati or arab drivers, since most are muslim, then they do not drink. Yes, its a loose connection.

I don't know who it was,... but last night I was driving and a car sped up and the head light disappeared (didn't notice until then). I thought the car went around me, but it didn't. This idiot was tailgating me at 100 km/h. I took the foot off the gas, but didn't really slow down just to see what s/he do. He stayed back there for awile...didn't get over until we reached a circle or roundabout. Anyway,... four other cars manage to know that a polite quick flick of the highbeam is the proper signal. AND yes, I was travelling above the posted speed!

Did you happen to see what nationality they were?

I get the pun now, loose connection indeed.

I had a similar thing happen the other day. Some arab dickhead in a landcruiser with the ugliest paintjob I have ever seen and a 4 digit plate comes flying up behind me 2 inches from my bumber on SZR flashing his lights. As I try to get over, a minibus also tries to move into the same lane. This sone of a b!tch tries to pass on the shoulder and just about caused a nasty accident. I threw my hands up in frustration (did not give the finger though he deserved it). The guy then tries to run me off the road, and starts following me and harrassing me. At this point I was ready to lead him somewhere where I could get out and break his legs. I cant remember ever being so angry. Anyway, I made a quick move and lost him in one of the tunnels.

The thing is, I have called the cops on these idiots before. They say "is there and accident?" "no", "so whats the problem?". Its rediculous, then they buy all these fancy cameras and increase fines because people are dying on the roads faster than they are being born. If they want to do something about the problem, get some friggin cops out there pulling these idiots over!

Whew, I guess im a bit wound up today, too much coffee maybe.
maximusprime
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 16, 2008
I saw a beaut last night! On my way to drop someone off at the airport and at the junction just after Garhoud Bridge where the road splits to Festival City or towards the airport, there was a huge team of labourers finishing off one of the boss's beautifications projects to the new roundabout. Anyway, there is a barrier in the outside lane, a dude with a red flag and a huge sand truck reversing up the dual carriageway into the construction site.

I see it, hit the all 4 park anywheres, and the guy in a very shiny BMW X5 behind me does likewise. He then pulls out to over take me as I have come to a standstill...and a taxi attempts to overtake him! The cab realises his gap is getting squeezed and hits the anchors but bounces off the concrete wall and then careens into the side of the shinymobile! Needless to say, Mr clean white dish dash in the clean white car is not best pleased...and proceeds to beat ten bells out of the cabbie in front of his passengers!

I had moved on and parked further down the road to wait for the police by then so was not able to take part, but the taxi driver got a good beasting and rightly so. I daresay the police report will say the cabbie 'fell down a flight of stairs'...

8) 8) 8)

Black Eyed Knight
Dubai Knight

Sep 16, 2008
Oh my god! The topic was being female in Dubai, not driving in Dubai... Any more advice or info. Just general info about the positives and negatives of general life in Dubai would be useful. And advice on good areas, places to go and things to do....
3biscuit3
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Sep 16, 2008
At least females can drive in Dubai. Not like Saudi!

:x :x :x

Knight
Dubai Knight

Sep 17, 2008
Being female in Dubai is like being female anywhere else. Dubai is a familiar or as different as you want it to be, maybe a bit hotter. Great club scene, lots of westerners, some little things are different. Really not as big and scary as it seems. Driving is probably the most stressful part of life.

Good parts of town: Dubai marina if you want to see only white people, diera if you want to see Indians, bur Dubai if you want to see anything else.

Places to go things to do. Get drunk in a bar, desert safari, the beach, scuba, malls, travel, work out, anything else you like to do (except smoke weed, stay the hell away from that. Not like it exists here anyway).

Positives and negatives:
+Always sunny, nice people, lots of money, good economy, good food, shopping, diversity, good career move, beach, good bars,

- Driving, summer, dust, driving, service, a lot of people who are just plain stupid (you think I'm joking but incompetence is a fact of life), driving,

Hope that helps.
maximusprime
Dubai forums Addict

dubai is a good place Sep 17, 2008
yeah dubai is a good place, and when you talk about emirati? the real emirati? they are so nice, just be carefull to met this nationality: Egyptian, Syrian, Saudinian, some iranian, and most of all, INDIAN, PAKISTAN, coz they are the people really will do BAD things on you.
Xyler
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 20, 2008
I've been in dubai all my life, i think its a great place to meet people from different walks of life. As I am a social butterfly myself and love making new friends.
lil_modi
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Sep 21, 2008
lil_modi wrote:I've been in dubai all my life, i think its a great place to meet people from different walks of life. As I am a social butterfly myself and love making new friends.

Do you work in a factory where they make prosthetic limbs?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Sep 21, 2008
Dubai Knight wrote:At least females can drive in Dubai. Not like Saudi!

Knight

...... permitted/ allowed to drive.... not "can" in the sense of ANY capability :shock:

M!
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 21, 2008
M! wrote:
Dubai Knight wrote:At least females can drive in Dubai. Not like Saudi!

Knight

...... permitted/ allowed to drive.... not "can" in the sense of ANY capability :shock:

Ouch ouch ouch! Not to that extent please!!!

Hahahahaa :) Women and driving...
farthestpoint
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat