What Difference Has Ramadan Had On Your Week ?

Topic locked
What difference has Ramadan had on your week ? Sep 11, 2008
Last year I was away on business for practically the whole of Ramadan so I never really witnessed the changes in day to day life that take place.

I'm not somebody who would normally go clubbing so the lack of loud music and inability to dance is something I'm all for.

In the morning I leave for work at the same time and the roads are empty.
I leave work early as well which is even better.
Generally, apart from the mad time before sunset everything seems a bit calmer, a bit quieter and bit more laid back.
I'm loving it :D

CVB
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 11, 2008
ahahhaha is that all??

You don't feel any change inside you? Only on the streets :joker:
Shamoosa
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 11, 2008
Shamoosa wrote:ahahhaha is that all??

You don't feel any change inside you? Only on the streets :joker:

A have an inner calm at the moment but that's because the drive to work is stress free and it's easier to find a taxi around half 7 at night if I'm going out
CVB
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 11, 2008
Great. Inner calm in Ramadan is better then nothing. Just imagine how can belivers feel during this holy month! What inner peace and power, stress controler and energy for all year... And then Jannah in hereafter!

Al7amdulillah. I am happy to be moslemah.

Peace be upon you all in Ramadan and after.... ;)
Shamoosa
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 11, 2008
Shamoosa wrote:Great. Inner calm in Ramadan is better then nothing. Just imagine how can belivers feel during this holy month! What inner peace and power, stress controler and energy for all year... And then Jannah in hereafter!

Al7amdulillah. I am happy to be moslemah.

Peace be upon you all in Ramadan and after.... ;)

Peace be with you as well... :)

But this morning, I have a somewhat not good experienced if I may say. I was waiting for a TAXI, and then in a few minutes taxi comes. But suddenly I was cross by a GUY his an Indian man, while I was waiting for a passenger from the taxi to come out, I knew the the Indian man saw me. So what he did is, instead of asking if I was waiting for that Taxi, he went to the other side and Ask the Driver if hes going to Sharjah. Back inside the Driver was busy for giving the change of the passenger's money. Since the Driver is not aware of him, but I guess the Driver is, he started shouting like hey open the Window, and then again he shouted hey OPEN the window I am talking to you. It's like he was trying to make a scene and the people are really looking at him as if saying at the back of their heads like what's wrong with this guy, I don't know if his aware of his actions. But really it's very rude, I don't knew if his a muslim or what but even though he needs to respect for the sake of Ramadan and for the other people around him. Really I was expecting this Ramadan that people are Cool, Calm and Friendly but it's contrary to my experienced for the past days.

Thank you...
SicnarFranciS
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 12, 2008
First you have to understand that some people are very nervouse or agressive or angry when they are hungry LOOOOL

But anyhow everyone have to be patient even without Ramdan :roll:

Ussually taxy drivers in Dubai don't like to pick up me from the street LOL
After 6-10 taxi cars I have to call and order taxi specially for me and then to wait another 5-10 minutes :lol: :lol:
Shamoosa
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 12, 2008
Asalamu alaikum,

Felt good,alhamdullilah.Especialy after i have read some articles about the benefits of Ramadan,phisicly and psychologicly.But ofcourse we do it for our creator so it has to have an effect on your whole life,not just your week
Ömer Tüfenk
Dubai Forum Guest

Sep 16, 2008
i think ramamdan just brings out the better in people expecially that month....
MustafaDubai
Dubai Forum User

Sep 16, 2008
MustafaDubai wrote:i think ramamdan just brings out the better in people expecially that month....

Really? Judging by the quality and 'giving' nature of the driving just before Iftar, I might disagree.

Week 3 is always the hardest and tempers can flare.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Sep 16, 2008
Dubai Knight wrote:
MustafaDubai wrote:i think ramamdan just brings out the better in people expecially that month....

Really? Judging by the quality and 'giving' nature of the driving just before Iftar, I might disagree.

Knight

hmm explain ur reasoning?? cause i always felt that during ramadan there is always a little voice in your head that tells you, " Its Ramadan make a better choice". what do u think??
MustafaDubai
Dubai Forum User

Sep 17, 2008
MustafaDubai wrote:
Dubai Knight wrote:

Knight

hmm explain ur reasoning?? cause i always felt that during ramadan there is always a little voice in your head that tells you, " Its Ramadan make a better choice". what do u think??

Let me summarise Ramadan for you from personal experience:

Week 1 - Everyone is filled with the concept of Ramadan and launches into it with gusto. It is slightly hard and inconvenient not eating and drinking all day, but that is the name of the game so everyone gets on with it. They enjoy the night time activities and meeting up with people they have not seen for a long time, sitting around playing backgammon and smoking shisha. With the change in working hours, its not too bad starting later and finishing earlier.

Week 2 - People are starting to get a little tired, all that staying out late at night is interfering with the having to go to work in the day. You start to realise the reason why the people you have not seen for a while and spend your nights with is because you don't actually like them all that much and conversations become less deep and meaningful. Decisions become harder to make and Iftar now means a sandwich and a coke from the garage rather than dates and water as, and I quote, "Everything tastes good after a day of fasting!" Getting home at Iftar becomes a bit of a priority and you go out less at night.

Week 3 - The novelty has really worn off now. You have bags under your eyes, your mind is completely fuddled, you don't know if its day or night and you really really don't care about work or anything else. All that is on your mind is watching that clock and waiting for the damn sun to go down. You are irritable through calorie defficiency and you don't spend your nights out at all anymore because all those people really irritate you now and you have nothing left to talk about. So you sit in front of the TV watching crap soaps and American series, stuffing junk food in your mouth all night. You sleep fitfully and wake up with a furry coating on your teeth from the crisps you ate at 5.00am. You have the urge to shop at 3.00am in the morning. You drive like a complete moron who thinks he is in an F1 race because your stomach is actually in control.

Week 4 - You see light at the end of the tunnel, you know there is only a few days left to go and you close your eyes and grit your teeth, telling yourself "I can do it, I can do it!" Think of the Eid holiday and the parties you can go to with the other people you really like who you have been deliberately avoiding through Ramadan in case you alienate them with your short temper and whining about being tired and hungry. You hardly turn up at work at all now anyway, so you while away the daylight hours in bed or lounging around on the sofa catching up on the repeats of the crap you watched the week before. You decide to leave all decisions about everything until Ramadan is over and then you can concentrate on the stuff that needs doing. In the meantime, DEWA cuts off your electricity and water, Etisalat cuts the phone and your landlord issues you with an eviction notice because you could not decide to pay the bills. You forgive them, its Ramadan! Its the season for giving and charity..unless you are a landlord or DEWA or Etisalat. But its only a fvew days to go!
When you do get out of the house, its only to show a pale and undernourished face with sunken eyes and hanging jaw at the office, before going home again at 3000kmph, cutting up ambulances and knocking down people on the pedestrian crossing as NOTHING is going to get in the way of your stomach!

And then Eid arrives. You eat too much. You spend the whole time asleep and miss all the parties. And then you are normal again.

Fact: Biologically it is extremely harmful to your health to starve yourself for 12 hours and then binge eat.
Fact: The calorie defficiency it creates have proven symptoms of mood swings, lethargy, indifference and aggression.
Fact: More people are admitted to hospital during Ramadan due to road accidents, collapse and even severe dehydration.

I have no problem with Ramadan, however remember that it is YOUR choice to fast. If you see a non Muslim eating or drinking during daylight hours, you can't get upset. They choose not to fast. In fact, its a test for you. If you can survive the test, then you are demonstrating your faith even more.

Fasting is forced upon us because this is a Muslim country. However 80% of the poulation are Hindu or Christian and do not fast.

Its your choice.

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Sep 18, 2008
MustafaDubai wrote:
Dubai Knight wrote:

Knight

How sure are you that everyone who fast hears that little voice on their head.........?
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 18, 2008
Dubai Knight wrote:Let me summarise Ramadan for you from personal experience:

Week 1 - Everyone is filled with the concept of Ramadan and launches into it with gusto. It is slightly hard and inconvenient not eating and drinking all day, but that is the name of the game so everyone gets on with it. They enjoy the night time activities and meeting up with people they have not seen for a long time, sitting around playing backgammon and smoking shisha. With the change in working hours, its not too bad starting later and finishing earlier.

Week 2 - People are starting to get a little tired, all that staying out late at night is interfering with the having to go to work in the day. You start to realise the reason why the people you have not seen for a while and spend your nights with is because you don't actually like them all that much and conversations become less deep and meaningful. Decisions become harder to make and Iftar now means a sandwich and a coke from the garage rather than dates and water as, and I quote, "Everything tastes good after a day of fasting!" Getting home at Iftar becomes a bit of a priority and you go out less at night.

Week 3 - The novelty has really worn off now. You have bags under your eyes, your mind is completely fuddled, you don't know if its day or night and you really really don't care about work or anything else. All that is on your mind is watching that clock and waiting for the damn sun to go down. You are irritable through calorie defficiency and you don't spend your nights out at all anymore because all those people really irritate you now and you have nothing left to talk about. So you sit in front of the TV watching crap soaps and American series, stuffing junk food in your mouth all night. You sleep fitfully and wake up with a furry coating on your teeth from the crisps you ate at 5.00am. You have the urge to shop at 3.00am in the morning. You drive like a complete moron who thinks he is in an F1 race because your stomach is actually in control.

Week 4 - You see light at the end of the tunnel, you know there is only a few days left to go and you close your eyes and grit your teeth, telling yourself "I can do it, I can do it!" Think of the Eid holiday and the parties you can go to with the other people you really like who you have been deliberately avoiding through Ramadan in case you alienate them with your short temper and whining about being tired and hungry. You hardly turn up at work at all now anyway, so you while away the daylight hours in bed or lounging around on the sofa catching up on the repeats of the crap you watched the week before. You decide to leave all decisions about everything until Ramadan is over and then you can concentrate on the stuff that needs doing. In the meantime, DEWA cuts off your electricity and water, Etisalat cuts the phone and your landlord issues you with an eviction notice because you could not decide to pay the bills. You forgive them, its Ramadan! Its the season for giving and charity..unless you are a landlord or DEWA or Etisalat. But its only a fvew days to go!
When you do get out of the house, its only to show a pale and undernourished face with sunken eyes and hanging jaw at the office, before going home again at 3000kmph, cutting up ambulances and knocking down people on the pedestrian crossing as NOTHING is going to get in the way of your stomach!

And then Eid arrives. You eat too much. You spend the whole time asleep and miss all the parties. And then you are normal again.

Fact: Biologically it is extremely harmful to your health to starve yourself for 12 hours and then binge eat.
Fact: The calorie defficiency it creates have proven symptoms of mood swings, lethargy, indifference and aggression.
Fact: More people are admitted to hospital during Ramadan due to road accidents, collapse and even severe dehydration.

I have no problem with Ramadan, however remember that it is YOUR choice to fast. If you see a non Muslim eating or drinking during daylight hours, you can't get upset. They choose not to fast. In fact, its a test for you. If you can survive the test, then you are demonstrating your faith even more.

Fasting is forced upon us because this is a Muslim country. However 80% of the poulation are Hindu or Christian and do not fast.

Its your choice.

Knight

I second that one...... 8)
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 19, 2008
reviewer wrote:
MustafaDubai wrote:
Dubai Knight wrote:

Knight

How sure are you that everyone who fast hears that little voice on their head.........?

im sry thats just me... but really.. if u dont think about allahs opinion even a little, then screw u and allah be with u.
MustafaDubai
Dubai Forum User

Sep 19, 2008
Dubai Knight wrote:
MustafaDubai wrote:
Dubai Knight wrote:

Knight

Let me summarise Ramadan for you from personal experience:

Its your choice.

Knight

good detail... u pretty much covered it lol
MustafaDubai
Dubai Forum User

Sep 20, 2008
MustafaDubai wrote:
reviewer wrote:
MustafaDubai wrote:
Dubai Knight wrote:

Knight

im sry thats just me... but really.. if u dont think about allahs opinion even a little, then screw u and allah be with u.

8) Watch your mouth little dude, its your opinion and dont drag the One up there in the discussion either. For you think that everyone should think like you is nothing much different shoving your own opinion down other peoples throat. 8)
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat