Some Basic Questions

Topic locked
some basic questions Sep 02, 2008
Hello everybody i need some help , i am currently a navigator so i am away on ships for like 8-10 months/year , i am capable of buying an apartment in Dubai so here are my questions:
1- From what developer should i buy , so i would'nt get scammed ?
2- What is up with the residency visa? if i buy an apartment do i get a visa or not? if not then how is is possible to own your property without being able to live in it??
3- Can i rent my apartment while a i am away on the sea?
4- I heard there are some issues with pets? is my cat endangered in Dubai or what? :) , if i am allowed to own a cat in the flat , are there any places where she can be taken care of whyle i am away?
5- i have 2 nationalities : romanian and spanish , is that a problem in the UAE?
6- will my car really be taken away from me if its not used and gets dirty for a long period?

These should be enough for now , hope i get some answers, thanks in advance guys.

xenion.calavera
Dubai Forum Guest

Sep 04, 2008
xenion.calavera wrote:Hello everybody i need some help , i am currently a navigator so i am away on ships for like 8-10 months/year , i am capable of buying an apartment in Dubai so here are my questions:
1- From what developer should i buy , so i would'nt get scammed ?

There are a few "big" names in town, stick with them, if their service is less than professional (from the first phone call), go to another developer until you are satisfied

2- What is up with the residency visa? if i buy an apartment do i get a visa or not? if not then how is is possible to own your property without being able to live in it??

Again, this is dependant on the developer, make this your first question to them. Initially only a handful of developers (Emaar, Nakheel etc) were allowed to stand as sponsor for the residency visa. A number of other developers simply decided that they could do the same, but without the necessary government approval - which has caused the problem

3- Can i rent my apartment while a i am away on the sea?

Yes, but the problem will be the duration, most tenants will not go for a 8 month contract, they are looking for something a little more long-term than that. All property rentals are supposed to be conducted through a registered agent, technically you cannot rent the property yourself; this means that you would have to get an agent who can do short-term deals for you.

4- I heard there are some issues with pets? is my cat endangered in Dubai or what? :) , if i am allowed to own a cat in the flat , are there any places where she can be taken care of whyle i am away?

This depends on the building, some have restrictions even on owners as to whether pets are allowed. Frankly you wouldn’t want to put your pet into a “boarding” facility for 8 months at a time. In this instance, it may be better to leave the cat with a family member or good friend.

5- i have 2 nationalities : romanian and spanish , is that a problem in the UAE?

No problem with 2 passports, although you will only be able to hold one residency stamp and use one to enter and exit the country on (as the details will be entered into immigration system), so you will have to make a choice which passport to use – possibly this has taxation implications for you, so think carefully

6- will my car really be taken away from me if its not used and gets dirty for a long period?

: ) no, but it will most likely get a fine. Get a car cover, or select a building that has covered parking

These should be enough for now , hope i get some answers, thanks in advance guys.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum