Very Slow Limewire Download Speed Dubai

Topic locked
very slow limewire download speed dubai Mar 30, 2008
Hi all, first post here! Has anyone had any major download speed issues with limewire since Jan 08? I used to have download speeds of 40kb/sec but now they are between 1-4kb/sec! Its frustratin as downloadin anythin takes forever!
I have downloaded ARES but face the same download speed problems on that too.
I have called Etisalat several times who say that they have not blocked or restricted any p2p traffic.

When i download from uaelab.ae/test etc the download speed is 120kb/sec!

Please Help! Thanks

uaeuser
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Mar 31, 2008
etisalat throttles p2p downloads.
Cybix
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 07, 2008
Hi all,

anyone else facing this problem or just me?! also keep getting frequent disconnection on my adsl line!
limewire is downloading at 0-4kb/s !! something not right..can anyone help out?
uaeuser
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Apr 16, 2008
Yeah my Limewire is fucked up too. Sometimes it doesn't connect, and when it does, it doesn't go beyond 30 kbps.

Also since 2 days my cable connection keeps dropping. I have to click the 'Repair' button which gives me a new IP address.

Its too bloody pissing off. Happened around 4 months ago same thing, but was fixed.

Etislut sucks.
hitender_s
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 16, 2008
limewire still exists? :D
i stopped using it 7 years ago ;)
the only thing i'm using now is utorrent. happy so far, got up to 50KBps over 512Kbps Etisalat DSL.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 17, 2008
We all know the root of the problem...cmon...lets not try and avoid....Etisalat = very poor service for home and commercial users.

I dont know what theyre talking about signing multi million dollar deals here and there when they cant even provide the simplest of services.

They are providing they say...but according to WHAT standards? :)
guest999

Apr 19, 2008
I still dont get how after having speeds of around 30-40kbps /sec its now still between 0-4kbps! i tried a different pc from home but same problem..could something be limiting the modem?when downloading from sites for software upates its very fast...but limewire mega slow! i tried using bitcomet and ares--both very slow too..is there a dummies guide on how to use utorrent/bitcomet etc etc?!

is there any other limewire users out there with 0-4kbps download probs?!
uaeuser
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Apr 19, 2008
uaeuser wrote:I still dont get how after having speeds of around 30-40kbps /sec its now still between 0-4kbps! i tried a different pc from home but same problem..could something be limiting the modem?when downloading from sites for software upates its very fast...but limewire mega slow! i tried using bitcomet and ares--both very slow too..is there a dummies guide on how to use utorrent/bitcomet etc etc?!
is there any other limewire users out there with 0-4kbps download probs?!

In some P2P programs (Limewire, BitComet, utorrent), you can limit the upload bandwidth so that other users (who download from you) will get very low download speed. In your case, it's the other way around.

When you use BitTorrent client like utorrent/BitComet/Azureus, find & download torrent files whose many seeders & leechers. Seeders=ones who have 100% or completed file (uploaders). Leechers=ones who have <100% file (downloaders). Leechers download either from seeders or other leechers by downloading (scrapping) parts/blocks of a file. That's the difference than common download (from start to end of the file). Unfortunately most of torrent files search engine are blocked by Etisalat. So far only mininova which isn't.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 22, 2008
Etisalat is SH!T. 1st, when you call them they make you wait for hours and hours and even though you have selected english they connect you to some person who greets you with "Salam alai kum" (until here, its understandable but then they go on with) "marhaba, mohammad something something, and can i help you in arabic" - i cant help but to wonder why the fcuk cant i be connected to someone who speaks to me in english when i dialed 2 after the recorded woman who sounds like a robot asked me if i wanted to continue in english. not that i have anything against the language, but why fcuking ask me if i have to be connected to an arabic speaking representative.

Anyhow, after i sit and explain my situation that ive been getting extremly low speeds for a 1 mb line the reply i get is... "i dont think so." this guy has got balls. After yapping for abt 1/2n hr about my settings which he seems to profesionally bugger up, the son of a gun tells me "sir, your computer has a problem with it, please get the modem or your ethernet card checked" these people got the fuckin balls to tell me that??? i went on for an hr just for the kicks to abuse the guy to talk ill abt MY COMPUTER. A CUSTOMER cant be wrong, but then the art of power he throws on me, he disconnected the fone on me and with my memory power of a gold fish, i forgot his name. *BANG*

So this is the service I pay out of my nose for - horrible speeds/very dedicated service who shun me...

with super talks about excellet infrastructe i beg to differ why these mother fuckers who claim to be talking big with the amount of profits they make cant afford speeds to compete with companies around the world? if they cant, they need to allow other international companies to establish and provide services of 15GigaBits and higher. its understandable that the culture views are against a few websites or such and they have all the rights to block them. And speaking as a muslim, id like to know which part of the religion claims that VoIP or p2p is not allowed. mother fuckers cant afford to pay the bandwidth to they make us suffer. We all should boycott their services for a day or two and make them realise, they are nothing w/o us.

PS: im sorry for such a huge msg, i just had to take my frustation out someplace
Mashaal
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 25, 2008
^^ Totally understandable.

My net keeps dropping ever so often and I don't feel like calling them because I know all they'll tell me is 'sir bleez switch off ur cumbuter'

Fuckin rooster-suckers.
hitender_s
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 27, 2008
wow other users with m same problems with my 512kbps connec
1. limewire speed does not go above 4-7kbps
2. frequent disconnects and no sites load the speedstream modem, some line problem for sure

torrents go upto 50kBps which is ok for my connection. but limewire and the frequent disconnections are not acceptable, tech support monkeys cant help me :(
cheap_Deal
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 28, 2008
^^ Yup I called them up 2 days ago.

I thought I would ask him what the problem was with my line but then I knew he would just beat around the bush and give me inconclusive answers.

So I just told him my net dropped randomly and that I wanted a techie over at my place to solve the problem.

2 days have passed and the fuckers are yet to give me a call and fix the problem.

My net keeps dropping and it's just so pissing off now, its 2 weeks already!!
hitender_s
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 28, 2008
i feel your pain hitender.
my net does keep dropping randomly. still cant fix it. the wifi etisalat router sucks to the core, i cant get proper signal about 50 ft away :(
cheap_Deal
Dubai forums Addict

May 22, 2008
BitTorrent all the way.
thegreyswan
Dubai Forum Guest

May 29, 2008
Very few P2P clients work as they should with Etisalat.

A BitTorrent client like uTorrent seems to work perfectly fine at least with me. I have a 1 mbps connection connected to a router which I manually set to port forward the incoming port of my uTorrent client.

mIRC seems to work fine too but usually not as fine as uTorrent. That's when we talk about comparing download speeds.

Using other P2P file-sharing programs like eMule is totally useless. Down-speed can go as high as 1~2 k/bytes ONLY! (even reaching that limit happens rarely). Again that's what I'm personally experiencing with the so called "state-of-the-art" technology from Etisalat, my a.s.s...
Xemnarth
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Sep 13, 2008
utorrent is good, usnext is fast. My downloads hit 200kbps. www.usenext.com

as far as throttling, the only way is to use a tunnel or vpn and get this to work. you will need to ensure your vpn provider has the p2p feature.
vicarage
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk