On Belly Dancers...

Topic locked
On Belly Dancers... Jan 29, 2008
Belly dancers are very popular in the middle east, yes? How come? I thought here it is culturally forbidden for women to bare their skin (and hair)?

pinoy1
Dubai chat master

Re: On Belly Dancers... Feb 14, 2008
pinoy1 wrote:Belly dancers are very popular in the middle east, yes? How come? I thought here it is culturally forbidden for women to bare their skin (and hair)?

oh yeah... Jumeirah beach is filled with women in abayas and headscarfs ....
JMK
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 14, 2008
okay... that's sarcasm right?

No, the beach is not filled with wrapped-up arabian women but by western women wearing two-piece.
pinoy1
Dubai chat master

Apr 24, 2008
pinoy1, well it seems to me initially bellydance was planned as house dance which was danced by women only at home for her family and husband especially. Later dance began to be considered as art among public, hmm kind of profession and earning money. By the way, i heard a legend which tells that bellydance`s appeared casually: when girl smelling nice of rose water and arabian parfume charming oils has been attacked by importunate bee. Poor girl tried to get rid of annoying bee, she began to rotate hips and make unusual movements by her stomach. She did it so plastically, gracefully and beautifully so public liked her dance :wink:
Anatalia
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

May 27, 2008
But aren't public belly dancers considered well how shall I say.....not the type to bring home to mama?

I don't live over in UAE so I don't know the culture but I have some Lithuanian (Tatar) heritage so we hung out with Turks, Egyptians and Persians. Dancing in the home was okay but a 'nice' girl didn't do it as a career.

Are most of the belly dancers in Dubai Arab or foreign? I've always imagined foreign but you guys know better. Sounds like another job choice for me besides being a maid or prostitute.
puppypup
Dubai Expat Helper

every country Jul 01, 2008
Every country has women, who sales skin so it does not matter how much that country or culture is say "no our women are nice, only westerns women not good"

all men and women are same from any country or any culture, because that is human nature not culture nature.

all men and women like skin, if they don't than there is something wrong or they would live in mountain praying for god or Allah whatever religion they trust in to.
arabworld
Dubai Forum Guest

Apr 07, 2009
It seems it would completely depend on the intentions. Artistically and tactfully it might be more appreciated.
ICforYou
Dubai Forum Visitor

Apr 07, 2009
A lot of info on bellydance from wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bellydance

I took up bellydance for a back problem and fell in love with it. It isn't easy to master all the moves and interpret the music well, so I really appreciate the very skilled bellydancers. Bellydancing comes in many forms and is done for many different reasons than just entertaining men in Islamic countries...
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Apr 07, 2009
the only thing i m good at is wobbling my ass :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 16, 2009
rudeboy wrote:the only thing i m good at is wobbling my a#s :D

You mean that barrel of cRude you got hanging there :lol:
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Music & Dance Sep 07, 2009
Music in Islam is considered Haram and so is belly dancing. Not all Arabs are good Muslims and some may not even be Muslims. Its a cultural thing not religious.

Islam clearly prohibits such acts whereby woman is made to dance before her man to please him She is an equal human
tnc123
Dubai Forum Visitor

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat