Tips For Learning The Arabic Language

Topic locked
Tips for learning the Arabic language Oct 03, 2006
The Arabic language has many dialects. The dialects are so diverse that even native speakers of Arabic may have difficulty understanding Arabs from neighbouring countries. For example Algerian dialect is one of the most difficult dialect for many countries, in contrast Egyptian dialect is one of the most easier dialect used in the Arabic world. The Egyptian cinema and music industry helped to make it very easy for so many (iam not Egyptian by the way), iam sure many will agree that Egyptian is easily understood. When learning Arabic is best to learn the classical Arabic (the language of the Qur'an) which has little in common with the many present-day dialects of Arabic. Nowadays Classical Arabic is not used in any country but it is the formal language for the news, speeches etc. even though classic Arabic not used, it will be understood anywhere in the Arabic world.

I have put lists of tips to make the learning of Arabic easy. Please keep this thread on the topic, if you have any tips please share them here. Any off topic posts will be deleted to make this thread easier to use.

• Start with learning the Arabic alphabetic and reading and writing (I will start a course here). Learning few words will not help you to pick the language.
• Learn the classical first, it will make better sense to pick another dialect later.
• Practice, practice, I can not stress enough how important that is, for people living in Dubai you have a perfect environment to practice. Do not be shy or embarrassed just use what you learned with others
• The best part, watch Arabic movies, if you have the Arabic Sat, you can see how diverse the dialects are but Egyptian cinema have a big collection to pick from. Watch the Arabic news as well.
• Music, again listen to the music get the lyrics in both Arabic and English. So you can hear the words and read them (that why, it is important to learn reading and writing).

sara_uk
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 04, 2006
Hi Sara, r u studying Arabic at a University? I have only studied a bit of beginners/intermediate Arabic at the Arabic Language Centre and am already forgetting so much of it since I don't use it enough. After 8 years of Dubai I should do way better but I'm lazy and people here speak English very well..

Now, I'm moving to Damascus to live for a while with my soon to be hubby and I think I will need to speak Arabic there as most people have French instead of English as a second language. Do you have any info on studying Arabic in Damascus by any chance?

I would greatly appreciate any help from any one. I read about Damascus University teaching Arabic, but apparantly it's really really hard there. My fiancee is too busy to help.. I'm really nervous since I don't know anyone else there and even his siblings don't really speak much English :cry:
NoWoRrIeS
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 04, 2006
Hi

I speak Arabic as first language, I was born and raised in Saudi and finished high school there. I start teaching Arabic in my first year in London. Iam sorry I can not help you with advice on Syria, do not worry iam sure you will feel home there and do not get too stressed out because no one will speak English with you, I think you have advantage there, because you will be forced to learn Arabic to communicate. Do not worry and iam sure you will do fine
sara_uk
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 05, 2006
I see... thanks Sara!

Just to note I believe Arabic is the most interesting and warm language that I have ever learned. I learned 3 other languages as Dutch isn't spoken much in the world so I had to. Also the most difficult though. Take care.
NoWoRrIeS
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Damascus Uni Oct 12, 2006
Dear NoWoRrIeS ,
if u still need any advice concerning language courses in Damascus I can help u.I studied arabic at the Damascus university for 1 year, they have several levels starting from alphabet to arabic poetry (its the last level).Price is very low it was about 300$ for 1 level wich lasts 2 months.Teachers are very intelligent.First u pass kind of exam wich shows ur level (if u have studied the language before) .Also they have course of syrian dialect.Concerning English...well lots of ppl in Damascus speak ENglish less French.so if u need help write me, I think i still have their ph number. :)
bonitta
Dubai chat master

learning foreign languages Apr 20, 2008
maybe this website is useful for you to learn Arabic.
you can chat with Arabics and make freinds with them.
:P

http://www.tt4you.com
Elizabethjin
Dubai Expat Wannabe

learning foreign languages Apr 20, 2008
maybe this website is useful for you to learn Arabic.
you can chat with Arabics and make freinds with them.
:P

http://www.tt4you.com
Elizabethjin
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Aug 11, 2008
sara_uk wrote:Hi

I speak Arabic as first language, I was born and raised in Saudi and finished high school there. I start teaching Arabic in my first year in London. Iam sorry I can not help you with advice on Syria, do not worry iam sure you will feel home there and do not get too stressed out because no one will speak English with you, I think you have advantage there, because you will be forced to learn Arabic to communicate. Do not worry and iam sure you will do fine

Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh

Are you a Saudi Arabian sister? Was it difficult transitioning in to life in London with such alien and sinful cultural practices? Given the hoardes of anti muslim populations in London or other western cities, I mostly try to avoid those sources and centres as much as possible. I was just curious as to what forced you to move to a western country and what difficulties you faced and adjustments you had to made in living in London, given your Saudi Arabian background.
muslimbangladeshi
Dubai chat master

Aug 11, 2008
Sorry sister if my message asks you personal questions if you dont want to answer those its fine
muslimbangladeshi
Dubai chat master

Jan 07, 2009
muslimbangladeshi wrote:Sorry sister if my message asks you personal questions if you dont want to answer those its fine

She has clearly stated why she doesn't talk to guys like you, in her signature writing;

I quote: "Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

I think most of us at DF agree with her on this one.
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jan 18, 2009
the biggest tip i would say is to spend some time in an arabic speaking country. this is the best way to put your knowledge into practical use. if you dont use it you will loose it. that said, the best self teaching course in my opinion is the rosetta stone language teaching CDs. they are convenient and very effective. it has certainly taken me over the hump.

good luck

sunil
DubaiInformationSite
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2009
I'm very interested in learning Arabic.
Is anyone aware of a reputed place where they teach the language close to Bur Dubai?
chaithalipunchathar

Aug 21, 2009
Is it difficult to learn Arabic?
orientantique

Project report and assignment service...! Sep 16, 2009
Hello all,

I am here to help all of you with making project reports and day to day college assignments at very competitive rates.

Any report/assignment request should be done by emailing me on sharib_gk86@yahoo.co.uk , the report will be delivered within 1-5 days based on the work and topic depth requested.

For further information you cal email me or call me on my mobile at 971507893572

Happy to help you all.
sharib_gk86@yahoo.co.uk
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Oct 02, 2009
hi all,
I'm moving to UAE so i will have to learn arabic. Am a bit concered about daily life .. but from wat i've heard in the workplace people speak english...

any recommendations for courses in abu dhabi
Aiysha
Dubai Forum Guest

Oct 15, 2009
thingxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
yo0b
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Tips for learning the Arabic language Nov 11, 2010
The most important tip for learning Arabic is to dedicate yourself to learning. Because Arabic is very difficult language you need to set aside time each day to study. Try to concentrate on learning two or three new Arabic words daily, and work on its pronunciation. Learning to read maybe difficult but writing using Arabic Alphabet is one way to master the language.
dmdiannemorales
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Re: Tips For Learning The Arabic Language Nov 30, 2010
I think the the best thing to do is the learn how to permute the root verbs and lots of practice reading and speaking. So, if you have the root verb kataba (To write), if you know how to permute the verb, you've already learnt a decent amount of vocab;

past tense
kataba; he wrote
katabat; she wrote
katabtum; you (group) wrote
etc.

present tense
yaktubu; he writes
taktubu; she writes
etc.

It's amazing the amount you'll learn by this alone.

Having said all that, I think going to Egypt and seeking out a private tutor is the best option. They're generally very cheap there. You can get a teacher to yourself for 3 hours a day for ~£150 per month. A friend also recommends Syria, but I only speak of my personal experience.
brucebanner
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Tips For Learning The Arabic Language Nov 30, 2010
You can learn that kind of Arabic ( book Arabic ) but don't expect it to go too far in the real word with it as no one in the Arab world speaks like that. Its like learning English from Shakespear.

And Egypt ! Egypt/Egyptians don't speak Arabic. They speak Egyptian a total distorted form of Arabic. With weird words like Haga and what not ! Pronouciation also sucks. For example Masjid is Masgid. Juma is Guma and they insist that is the correct way to pronouce.

My American friend ( Muslim convert )spent around 10 years studying Arabic and Islamic studies in Al Azher Uni and has a tough time getting aorund here using his Arabic skills. He writes books and professional material in Arabic. His grammar, writing skills are scholarly but verbal skills arn't great at all. He himself blames living in Cairo for so long having spoilt his Arabic.
P.S : Was in Syria for around 5 ish years before that studying aswell.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Tips For Learning The Arabic Language Dec 01, 2010
desertdudeshj wrote:You can learn that kind of Arabic ( book Arabic ) but don't expect it to go too far in the real word with it as no one in the Arab world speaks like that. Its like learning English from Shakespear.

What Arabic do they use in the news, in formal functions and text? It surely isn't street lingo.

desertdudeshj wrote:And Egypt ! Egypt/Egyptians don't speak Arabic. They speak Egyptian a total distorted form of Arabic. With weird words like Haga and what not ! Pronouciation also sucks. For example Masjid is Masgid. Juma is Guma and they insist that is the correct way to pronouce.

I agree. But then again the people of the Emirates aren't speaking 100% correct Arabic either. The teachers teach Arabic proper. One thing that's for sure, the Egyptian rule when it comes to Quran recitation. I think they're just holding back in normal conversations.

desertdudeshj wrote:My American friend ( Muslim convert )spent around 10 years studying Arabic and Islamic studies in Al Azher Uni and has a tough time getting aorund here using his Arabic skills. He writes books and professional material in Arabic. His grammar, writing skills are scholarly but verbal skills arn't great at all. He himself blames living in Cairo for so long having spoilt his Arabic.
P.S : Was in Syria for around 5 ish years before that studying aswell.

Sorry, if this offends anyone, but colloqualil Arabic is dis^gusting.
brucebanner
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Tips For Learning The Arabic Language May 18, 2013
Either have an arabic friend or work with one, unless you don't have a speaking partner to practice your arabic you can't learn it.
SanaRabbani
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Arabic language Jun 29, 2013
Aiysha wrote:hi all,
I'm moving to UAE so i will have to learn arabic. Am a bit concered about daily life .. but from wat i've heard in the workplace people speak english...

any recommendations for courses in abu dhabi

There is a language centre at Hamadan street near KFC they are good
assadaqeel
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: Tips For Learning The Arabic Language Nov 17, 2013
hi there if u want to learn Arabic i know center in Dubai in JLT (jumeirah Lake Towers)
its very good center the trainers are good and they have competitive prices
fofoshams
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: Tips For Learning The Arabic Language Jan 23, 2014
As Salaamu 'alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh,
I was reading through some of the posts related to Arabic and I like the discussion alhamdulilah. I just happened to sign up for this free Arabic lesson site online yesterday LOL. (The lessons are recorded and downloadable!) It's actually very good, and is aimed specifically for non native speakers.
May Allah make our path easy in gaining beneficial knowledge,Ameen!

--- Jan 23, 2014 ---

As Salaamu 'alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh,
I was reading through some of the posts related to Arabic and I like the discussion alhamdulilah. I just happened to sign up for this free Arabic lesson site online yesterday LOL. (The lessons are recorded and downloadable!) It's actually very good, and is aimed specifically for non native speakers.
May Allah make our path easy in gaining beneficial knowledge,Ameen!
KnowledgeSeeker
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: Tips For Learning The Arabic Language Jun 19, 2014
You might like my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/BeginnersArabic
Radeya
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Tips For Learning The Arabic Language Jul 18, 2014
I just went through your Facebook link and it is really awesome. I think one of the best and easy source to learn Arabic. Hope to see more lessons from your end.
wflora87
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Tips For Learning The Arabic Language Aug 21, 2014
Same kind of advantage hopefully i will also be having of learning Arabic in Dubai.

--- Aug 21, 2014 ---

Same kind of advantage hopefully i will also be having of learning Arabic in Dubai.
kiwistech
Dubai Forums Talker

Re: Tips For Learning The Arabic Language Sep 09, 2014
I kind of picked up on a little bit of Arabic while I watched bollywood movies with arabic subtitles, seems like a weird method but it's quite effective! But now I'm definitely interested to learn it properly, especially since i'm in dubai
batman
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Tips For Learning The Arabic Language Feb 25, 2016
Nice info about Arabic language.. It will help a lot
jandesigner01
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Tips For Learning The Arabic Language May 24, 2016
is it hard to learn Arabic language?
uaecosmetic
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Arabic learning ForumForum Rules

Return to Arabic learning Forum