Du To Filter Web Content... WTF?

Topic locked
du to filter web content... WTF? Apr 14, 2008
Dubai: Integrated telecom service provider du will be filtering internet content by proxy effective today, officials said in a statement.

"We want to ensure that all our customers' requirements are met, and that we comply with all the guidelines of the Telecommunications Regulatory Authority (TRA), including those on internet content filtering.

Recently, there have been many complaints from du internet users on the lack of filtering out offensive websites.

The proxy will hinder users from having access to all websites. The company will be blocking all content that is not in line with moral, social and cultural values of the UAE.

So they expect us to believe that "their customers" are complaining about too much freedom? If you don't like something on a website DON'T GO THERE! And don't even try to mention "oh but it's for the kids", there are thousands of softwares that allow you to monitor traffic on your own PC, you flaming hypocrites. **** du.

Medvezhonok
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 14, 2008
Its all true - I received an SMS from them yesterday saying the same.

Bloody ridiculous!!!
XPClone
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 14, 2008
It is to protect all kids under the age of 35.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Apr 14, 2008
"with moral, social and cultural values of the UAE."

I hate those words, seems like a excuse,
lol nice one gtmash.

"there are thousands of softwares that allow you to monitor traffic on your own PC, you flaming hypocrites"

I agree, people just dont want to take additional steps for their children,

When customers want to subscribe to services, we ask them to call 125 to susbcribe.
"Ahh...cant you activate it from your system"

IN thise case they are lazy enough to get such softwares
bsorc
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 14, 2008
I take it the evil and immoral site Skype will be blocked from today
BigO
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 14, 2008
I hate Etisalat with a passion. Anyway fcuk them, there are ways around their dumbass proxies. AHHHHHHHHHH
MC
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 14, 2008
hi guys,
this is all happened after etisalat pushed them to use the same rules of service under the same 3 nice words (with moral, social and cultural values of the UAE). i really got shocked but i was knew about it long time ago but i was tell my self it will not happened at least that soon
yasrkasem
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Apr 14, 2008
It's all rubbish really isn't it. Of yes lets block a website, but we have hookers in most bars and you can't find a date but you can go and find a husband or wife - stupid!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 14, 2008
lol I'm so pissed at Etisalat I didn't even realize this was abotu Du!!! fcuk them too...Yeha I didn't say love. They are both pretty much the same anyway.
MC
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 14, 2008
oh i just today tried to access a naked website but got surprised a message tell that website has been blocked... and it tell that is not allowed to surf naked bodies too... but why that could be happen here! there are naked bodies and hot boobs are walking in streets and malls... Anyway, I really was like DU as I was see them more open-minded than ET... Anyway that will not stop us... same those tools we are using with ET we are going to use with DU now to in order to access any blocked hottie site or an interested online service...

Guys Just Enjoy your clean and safe Internet Surfing for a While!
Break out :?
bonbonboi
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Apr 14, 2008
DU is my IP but my skype is still working. My BBC sports page, however is blocked, for what reason I can not tell. Since when has a newspaper's sports pages been not in line with the regions moral, social and cultural values.
Scratcher
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Apr 14, 2008
The mod that moved this to the high-tech section is probably working for du, either that or he noticed the word "web" in the title and his five good neurons associated the topic with "high tech" regardless of the discussion in the thread, not the sharpest tool in the shed. On the other hand, I'm impressed someone so patently stupid can read.

Back to du, it would have made sense for these moral elitists to at least keep the internet open in the (not so) free-zones.. however, this kind of rational logic would not have been consistent with the other dimwitted laws of the UAE. The good news is that anyone with half a brain can easily bypass these poorly implemented censorship methods.
Medvezhonok
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk