Dubai Water - Bottled Or Tap?

Topic locked
Mar 11, 2008
Not_Sure wrote:A bird fell into the water tank on top of a friends building that was not covered. It died in there and more than 200 magots grew here when i went up to check why the water had a funny taste to it.

Luckily we reached in time to stop the infestation before anything could seriously happen.

Are you willing take the risk? of drinking water that may be contaminated in some way? It may cost u ur life....

What a load of crap. Might make you ill, at worst. But it certainly won't kill you.

craigindubai
Dubai forums Addict

Tap Water Mar 11, 2008
Craig - hard to see why you raised the issue in the first place if you're so determined to condemn any replies.

A dead bird in your water supply tank is not a good thing - and certainly has the potential to cause illness in any water consumers. I had a similar situation in a villa in Al Ain where the cover blew off the roof tank - I only found out when the algal growth that developed dragged down the ball valve and caused the tank to overflow. It didn't look very inviting to wash in - never mind drink.

In the UK it has always been advised to drink only from the cold tap. This is because the cold tap is connected directly to the mains - whereas the hot tap passes through one or two (depending on type of system) storage tanks before reaching the tap.

In the UAE both hot and cold systems pass through storages before reaching the tap. Hence better not to drink from either.
Dry as Dust
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Mar 12, 2008
Not a water expert, but I assume that the fact that the water will stand stagnant in your villas water tank for the month or so that you are away in summer won't make it good to drink, or am I wrong - as the water is so hot that it continually 'boils' it?

Personally I wouldn't touch it.
admog
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Tap Water Mar 12, 2008
I am a water expert (actually more wastewater than water) and I don't drink the stuff.
Dry as Dust
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Mar 12, 2008
Bottom line is ..dont drink from the tap.....get bottled water.... :)
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Tap Water Mar 12, 2008
Dry as Dust wrote:Craig - hard to see why you raised the issue in the first place if you're so determined to condemn any replies.

A dead bird in your water supply tank is not a good thing - and certainly has the potential to cause illness in any water consumers. I had a similar situation in a villa in Al Ain where the cover blew off the roof tank - I only found out when the algal growth that developed dragged down the ball valve and caused the tank to overflow. It didn't look very inviting to wash in - never mind drink.

In the UK it has always been advised to drink only from the cold tap. This is because the cold tap is connected directly to the mains - whereas the hot tap passes through one or two (depending on type of system) storage tanks before reaching the tap.

In the UAE both hot and cold systems pass through storages before reaching the tap. Hence better not to drink from either.

I raised the issue to see if anyone had any real reasons as to why they don't consume tap water. No one has. Just a bunch of namby pamby excuses. Pretty much like the ones modern society seems to throw up for everything else. Yet another reason why the human race is becoming soft and vulnerable. Spend your life living in a sanitised, plastic bubble, and you will become susceptable to the most inoxuous bacterias and pathogens.
craigindubai
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 12, 2008
At least you guys have a real clean tap water :)

I live in Ajman and you should be aware that the tap water in Ajman is a bit Salty!!! impossible to drink from :!:

Personally if I live in Dubai, I still wont use the tap water for direct drinking but I may still use it for Cocking.

living only on bottled water is actually not healthy (debatable point) as if you get used to *only* fresh pure water you will be more likely to have a low immune system.

just my two fils :)
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Mar 12, 2008
quatroporte wrote:At least you guys have a real clean tap water :)

I live in Ajman and you should be aware that the tap water in Ajman is a bit Salty!!! impossible to drink from :!:

Personally if I live in Dubai, I still wont use the tap water for direct drinking but I may still use it for Cocking.

living only on bottled water is actually not healthy (debatable point) as if you get used to *only* fresh pure water you will be more likely to have a low immune system.

just my two fils :)

Is there any other choice other than bottled water in this part of the world, unless you live right beside the main desalination plant and connect a pipe straight to the main one. :P
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 12, 2008
reviewer - thumbs up to you for your friendly and positive attitude... :) .
JMK
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: Tap Water Mar 12, 2008
craigindubai wrote:
Dry as Dust wrote:Craig - hard to see why you raised the issue in the first place if you're so determined to condemn any replies.

I raised the issue to see if anyone had any real reasons as to why they don't consume tap water. No one has. Just a bunch of namby pamby excuses. Pretty much like the ones modern society seems to throw up for everything else. Yet another reason why the human race is becoming soft and vulnerable. Spend your life living in a sanitised, plastic bubble, and you will become susceptable to the most inoxuous bacterias and pathogens.

've drank it.. not once 've prepared tea / coffee / rice /curry with it. But that was before my friends told me its not safe and that they(dewa) treat sewage/toilet water n give it back. That was enough for me to stop using it, just for the eew factor in it.. Even then I've consumed it couple of times at mid night. I had no choice and I was too drunk to take a cab n go searching for a 24/7. Having said that, ppl 've asked me how do I manage to keep my house so (not) clean.

I zimbly zay.. I'm a survivor, i adapt n when the final days come in I'll still suvive but u wont. buhahaha
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Mar 12, 2008
It would appear that no-one in Dubai has had the pleasure of drinking water from a tap in Adelaide, South Australia.
Seriously - I could bottle the tap water here and sell it in Adelaide and make a killing!!!
Anteater
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat