Canada Female Graduate -- Dubai Compared To MidEast

Topic locked
Canada Female Graduate -- Dubai compared to MidEast Dec 13, 2005
Hi everyone,
I would really appreciate advice, especially from people who are living in Dubai and/or have lived in other Middle Eastern countries. I am currently finishing up a Masters program in Communications. What are the job opportunities like for fresh grads (in Communications) looking for P.R/Publishing/Media employment? Is it best to apply before going to Dubai? Also, I have lived in Saudi Arabia and visited other countries in the Middle East -- how does Dubai compare?
Thanks for all suggestions,
Cheryl

CherylH
Dubai Forum Guest

Dec 14, 2005
I am not in that field so cant really tell you about your chances. But in general i feel like having some experience is better before coming here. Since they can hire fresh graduate locals rather than foreign expats. And i think thats especially true in your field. But dont quote me on this.

As for how dubai is compared to the middle east. In my opinion its the best place to live in the Middle East right now. As liberal as it gets here, excellent infrastructure, multicultural populus, great shopping .. and so on .. However that comes for a price. You will probably make and/or save more money in Saudia Arabia than you will in the UAE since your social life will be very limited and rent is very cheap. But as a single female working in Saudia Arabia anyway is probably not even possible.

If you have any specific questions about differences between Dubai and the rest of the region let us know.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 14, 2005
well difference between Dubai and rest of the region is : here women can be "uncovered" the rest MUST BE covered... :lol:
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Specific questions... Dec 14, 2005
Indeed, I can understand how there would be many benefits living in Dubai (money, standard of living) and from a female point-of-view it's more lax in respect to covering up. I guess, I was more so wondering whether Dubai has a real "Middle Eastern" feel to it. I've travelled through Egypt and Jordan and loved the "realness" of the culture of these places. Are there visibly a lot of "native" U.A.E's or other Middle Eastern citizens in and around Dubai, or would one more so see Aussies, Brits, Canadians etc...or Indians, Pakistani's, etc.
Does anyone know anyone who's worked at Dubai Media City? Any comments? This is where I would be interested in applying to.
CherylH
Dubai Forum Guest

Dec 15, 2005
sniper420 wrote:well difference between Dubai and rest of the region is : here women can be "uncovered" the rest MUST BE covered... :lol:

I take it you never been to Egypt or Lebanon? 8)
Acebravo
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Specific questions... Dec 15, 2005
CherylH wrote:Indeed, I can understand how there would be many benefits living in Dubai (money, standard of living) and from a female point-of-view it's more lax in respect to covering up. I guess, I was more so wondering whether Dubai has a real "Middle Eastern" feel to it. I've travelled through Egypt and Jordan and loved the "realness" of the culture of these places. Are there visibly a lot of "native" U.A.E's or other Middle Eastern citizens in and around Dubai, or would one more so see Aussies, Brits, Canadians etc...or Indians, Pakistani's, etc.
Does anyone know anyone who's worked at Dubai Media City? Any comments? This is where I would be interested in applying to.

My 2 cents, the cultural breakdown of my apartment complex pretty much is exactly the same as when i lived in Toronto, 30 something floors of English, Arab, Indian, Italian, German, Russian, Black, Asian. I laughed because moving here reminded me exactly of back home,

Having said that though there are areas that happen to be quite dense in different nationalities (again kinda like back home)

UAE Nationals make up 12-15 % of the total population. I don’t find Dubai has a lot of “realness”, you’d have to travel outside of the city for that.

Best of luck and enjoy your time here.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum