THIS IS FOR THE FAST DRIVERS

Topic locked
THIS IS FOR THE FAST DRIVERS Feb 06, 2008
If you plan to keep driving reckless ,
I've got some good news for u

Centre for accident victims to be set up

The Abu Dhabi Police department is planning to set up a centre for the rehabilitation of people disabled by traffic accidents.

Lieutenant General Shaikh Saif Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Interior Minister, said in a statement the idea was initiated by President His Highness Shaikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahyan and General Shaikh Mohammad Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Abu Dhabi Crown Prince and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces.

The centre will be set up to treat victims of traffic accidents. It will also mean that victims who would have had to travel abroad for a long rehabilitation period can make use of the centre, helping to take financial pressure off them.

The revenue from the distinguished vehicle numbers auction launched by Abu Dhabi Police will be dedicated to establishing this unique centre for the whole area.

hack88
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 06, 2008
If more effort was given to adressing the problem of the disgraceful driving standards in the UAE, there would be less need for facilities like this.

Tackle the problem not deal with the fallout
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Feb 06, 2008
arniegang wrote:If more effort was given to adressing the problem of the disgraceful driving standards in the UAE, there would be less need for facilities like this.

Tackle the problem not deal with the fallout

agreed....but that is not going to happen any time soon...so in the meantime it's good to have a facility like this I'd say...
Thing is, the bad driving is catching...I now do stuff I'd not do back home, like undertaking. Whenever I am back in Europe I am really annoyed when I am driving, mainly with the slowness of it all...and all those pedestrian crossings...lol
mrs Robinson
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 06, 2008
Took 20 or more years for firstly the seat belt message, then the DUI message to sink in in Australia. It will now take another 20yrs for the Drugs whilst driving message to sink in.

20 years ago cars were a luxury here. Now everyone has two and with little to no experience at driving. No wonder they're so terrible at driving.
craigindubai
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 06, 2008
Seems like all they do to tackle the problem is add more radars. Which seems to be doing nothing as we still have one of the highest accident rates in the world. They need major change.
I read in I think Khaleej times, that male locals are responsible the most accidents, followed by Indians. Locals aren't really gonna worry about radars as they either don't care, or will have it 'erased'.
MC
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 07, 2008
Nope. Sorry. Don't agree that it will take another 20 years for people to realise and change their driving habits.

If [and only if] the municipality does something more drastic with enforcement.

Right now, the Cops just don't seem to have sufficient numbers/ power/ wherewithall/ kudos to enforce traffic regulations. By hitting reckelssd rivers in the pocket or by banning them, then the message will start being driven ['scuse the pun] home.

Just starting with basics would be nice.
g00se
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 07, 2008
There is a great deal of discourteous, aggressive driving that goes on, most of which would result in a punch in the head at the next traffic light in the western world.

The passing on the shoulder and REALLY bad moves have been curbed in the past year I think, even the speeds are better I think.

I believe a lot is inexperience and bad habits because "thats the way we do it at home". If you tried exiting a roundabout anywhere else in the world from the inside lane, you'd surely cause an accident. If your car drifted all over the road and straddled 2 lanes, you'd be pulled over for drunk driving.

They might as well sell turn signals as an accessory with tinted WINDSHIELDS (WTF) as well.

I think the best thing to do is just be courteous and be on the look out for "the other guy". People actually let you in (sometimes) if you signal, and make eye contact. Those that sit there and strain not to acknowledge you when you are sitting in traffic, clearly signaling, looking at them....they have bigger issues in this world methinks! Keep 'em shiny-side-up!
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat