Alcohol From Ajman & UAQ To Dubai

Topic locked
Nov 26, 2007
For those of you interested, I recently discovered a little gem. On the way back from Hatta, check out the Holiday Inn, they have an Off-Licence there. It's very small, but the prices are comparible to the Barraccuda, no licence necessary. Stock up on your way back froma visa run or trip to the rock pools - nice!

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Nov 26, 2007
Chocoholic wrote:For those of you interested, I recently discovered a little gem. On the way back from Hatta, check out the Holiday Inn, they have an Off-Licence there. It's very small, but the prices are comparible to the Barraccuda, no licence necessary. Stock up on your way back froma visa run or trip to the rock pools - nice!

No license necessary means what???, you most certainly do need a licence if you purchase alcohol in Dubai and transport it home. If you are stopped by the Police in Dubai, alcohol is found in your vehicle, you have a very good chance of being arrested, thats what people have to know, then if they do it, they also know what risks they are taking.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 27, 2007
well, why take all that headache!!!!!
rather, just call-up ..booze pedlers, who will surely stack-up your fridge with whatever you require.
hahahaha
home delivery
simple:-)
tejas8
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Nov 27, 2007
No licence means you don't need a liquor licence like you would in MMI or A&E.

I've never known anyone to get stopped, only people they suspect are buying it to sell on - like those who make the home deliveries.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Nov 27, 2007
Chocoholic wrote:No licence means you don't need a liquor licence like you would in MMI or A&E.

I've never known anyone to get stopped, only people they suspect are buying it to sell on - like those who make the home deliveries.

The whole point is that this is supposed to be a "Help Forum", whether or not you know anyone that has been stopped is irrelevant, people have been caught, and punished for breaking the law.

It is absolutely no problem to mention these places, however in the same time people should be cautioned as to the risks and possible punishment if caught.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 27, 2007
And that was the whole point, to give info on another outlet, which many don't know even exists.

Sorry I bothered to mention it.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Nov 28, 2007
Chocoholic wrote:And that was the whole point, to give info on another outlet, which many don't know even exists.

don't let S&O bully you, people need to be informed about all their choices, this is a choice. Thank you for posting this, it is useful information to know.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Nov 28, 2007
fayz wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:And that was the whole point, to give info on another outlet, which many don't know even exists.

don't let S&O bully you, people need to be informed about all their choices, this is a choice. Thank you for posting this, it is useful information to know.

Fayz,

I am certainly not trying to bully anyone.

The point is, people come to a forum such as this, seeking information, if you read the post from Chocs, it gives the impression that you can legally purchase from this outlet and the take home. This is most certainly not the case, and this is what people have to know. If they then choose to do it, this is a choice that they are free to make, however they should be correctly informed.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 28, 2007
But lets be honest S&O, how many people actually have liquor licences? Pretty much only those people who go to A&E and MMI, because travelling to the other outlets is an inconvenience.

CID even sit in the carpark of the Barraccuda on most days, watching who goes in and out and they're only interested in those who buy huge quantities for sell on i.e. the home delivery guys.

To put it in perspective, do you think the authorities would allow these places to even exist if they were going to check everyone? Look at the whole, rather than just pieces.

You're meant to have a licence to even go and drink in a bar, but does anyone have one? I think we all know the answer to that.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Nov 28, 2007
But lets be honest S&O, how many people actually have liquor licences? Pretty much only those people who go to A&E and MMI, because travelling to the other outlets is an inconvenience.

CID even sit in the carpark of the Barraccuda on most days, watching who goes in and out and they're only interested in those who buy huge quantities for sell on i.e. the home delivery guys.

To put it in perspective, do you think the authorities would allow these places to even exist if they were going to check everyone? Look at the whole, rather than just pieces.

You're meant to have a licence to even go and drink in a bar, but does anyone have one? I think we all know the answer to that.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Nov 29, 2007
Chocoholic wrote:But lets be honest S&O, how many people actually have liquor licences? Pretty much only those people who go to A&E and MMI, because travelling to the other outlets is an inconvenience.

I completely disagree with you, many people do indeed have liquor licenses and use them because that is the legal way to behave, the risk of being caught at the Hole-in-the-wall or The Baracuda, whilst small is still too great for a lot of people and indeed the punishment if you are caught can be so severe, with imprisonment, deportation etc., it's just simply not worth it.

Now why would the CID sit in the car park for this reason, when it is perfectly legal to purchase liquor in The Baracuda, because you are in UAQ, the illegal act starts when you leave UAQ / Ajman and enter Sharjah / Dubai.

The authorities in UAQ & Ajman do allow these places to exist because it is legal in these Emirates. They do not contribute towards the Federal liquor tax.

Plenty of people do indeed have a liquor license, it is the same one that is a legal requirement for drinking in a bar, why do you think all these shops such as A & E stay open, it's because they have plenty of customers, and guess what, they all have liquor licenses.

Once again Chocs, lets be clear why I keep replying to your posts in this regard, it is simply because people should know the legal requirement and the risks, whether or not they stay within the law is up to them, they do however deserve to know.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 29, 2007
sage & onion wrote: the risk of being caught at the Hole-in-the-wall or The Baracuda, whilst small is still too great for a lot of people

Case dismissed - on self contradiction basis. small not = great!

:roll:
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 29, 2007
Concord wrote:
sage & onion wrote: the risk of being caught at the Hole-in-the-wall or The Baracuda, whilst small is still too great for a lot of people

Case dismissed - on self contradiction basis. small not = great!

:roll:

Who asked you to comment?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dec 17, 2007
Every time you come through Dubai International airport, you are allowed to (legally) purchase 4 bottles of anything. You then exit the airport and climb in a cab or a friends car, or your own vehicle. What state the law now then?

The truth is, Dubai police take a sensible approach and, as long as there is no blatant abuse, they have a tolerant attitude. Technically, it is still illegal for men and women who are not married or part of the same family to live in the same accommodation. If this were strictly imposed, half of Dubai would be in prison!

Lets get real here. Yes, its 'illegal' to buy and transport alcohol without a licence. Its also illegal to drive at 135 kms per hour on the Emirates Road. Everyone does at some point, you just need to be careful.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

need exact location of "HOLE IN THE WALL" Dec 17, 2007
Hey guys, i recently moved to Ajman. If you guys can tell me what is the exact location of "HOLE IN THE WALL" i would really appreciate it because i went to kempinski and i found nothing at all infront of KEMPINSKI & AJMAN BEACH HOTEl. There was just a ground and a palace or something.
If you guys can help me out here i will really appreciate it. Also is it possible to get in big trouble just to buy one bottle for myself????

Looking forward to hear from you guys soon
blackknight678
Dubai Forum Guest

Dec 26, 2007
all these discussions have left me slightly confused... ;)
Lemme ask a simple question
I'm a non muslim resident expat in dubai.
I do not have liquor permit.
If i buy 4 ltrs of alcohol at the airport duty free, am i legally allowed to keep & consume the liquor at my home in dubai?

wooof!!

cheers!
xdude
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Dec 26, 2007
xdude wrote:all these discussions have left me slightly confused... ;)
If i buy 4 ltrs of alcohol at the airport duty free, am i legally allowed to keep & consume the liquor at my home in dubai?

wooof!!

cheers!

"technically/legally": NO.

Practically: YES.
C0NC0RD
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Dec 27, 2007
how to obtain a license. im atheist :twisted:
paploy80
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Dec 29, 2007
paploy80 wrote:how to obtain a license. im atheist :twisted:

Go to one of the Outlets such as A & E, they will give you the form to fill in, you also need a letter from your Sponsor / Company, what religion is stated in your residence permit?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dec 29, 2007
someone told me tht if i've purchased the alcohol from the dutyfree & kep the receipts, its ok to keep the liquor at home,..ehh!

they make it so complicated..
xdude
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Dec 29, 2007
C0NC0RD wrote:
xdude wrote:all these discussions have left me slightly confused... ;)

wooof!!

cheers!

"technically/legally": NO.

Practically: YES.

incorrect

technically/legally : YES on the proviso it is for your own personal consumption
arniegang

Dec 29, 2007
xdude wrote:someone told me tht if i've purchased the alcohol from the dutyfree & kep the receipts, its ok to keep the liquor at home,..ehh!

they make it so complicated..

this is correct, see my post above
arniegang

Dec 30, 2007
Very confusing indeed...
So if you live in Ajman/UAQ it is legal to purhcase/consum liquor without a licence?

10x
girlyGirl
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Dec 30, 2007
girlyGirl wrote:Very confusing indeed...
So if you live in Ajman/UAQ it is legal to purhcase/consum liquor without a licence?

10x

It would seem so
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dec 31, 2007
girlyGirl wrote:So if you live in Ajman/UAQ it is legal to purhcase/consum liquor without a licence?

Not as far as I know. "Possible" and "legal" are two different things. If you go to places like the Barracuda, you'll see people showing an alcohol licence sometimes.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Dec 31, 2007
where is barracuda? is it the one near dreamland aquapark??
cheap_Deal
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 02, 2008
cheap_Deal wrote:where is barracuda? is it the one near dreamland aquapark??

Yes - Barracuda
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Feb 03, 2008
we have purchased fake bacarrdi ones from Barracuda... closer inspection revealed that it was some sort of technical spirit. Be careful.
JMK
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 03, 2008
A lot of the "branded spirits" are indeed fake at many of the holes in the wall. I bought a 15dhm bottle of vodka in the dubai one and it was not Vodka.

Think about it, the cheapest vodka duty free at DXB/Abu D is around 40dhs.
arniegang

Feb 05, 2008
has anyone heard of a new drink called Pishab Party? :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai Guide and photosForum Rules

Return to Dubai Guide and photos