Duty Free...

Topic locked
duty free... Nov 24, 2005
At the risk of asking a stupid question... Here goes...

I'm coming to Dubai next week and don't know the rules of duty free and bringing in alcohol... Do I buy it in the country I'm coming from? How much can I bring in? Thanks...

windward
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 25, 2005
I bought four bottles in the duty free the last time i was over, im sure its four bottles per person....but next time im out im hoping to take some irish brew with me as gifts for my friends, so if i got caught taking in more than four bottles would the customs just take it off me? or do i get to arm wrestle for it... :)
Rosie
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 25, 2005
Well I arrived in Dubai a couple of weeks ago and bought the maximum allowable (4 bottles and 2 10-packs of cigarettes) from the duty free. Now, you COULD buy more than the limit (I actually bought 3 10-packs), but when you exit the duty free to reach the gates out to Dubai, you are randomly checked. I saw this guy eyeing me up...Looked him straight in the eye, then held my head straight towards the doors as if I honestly could not be bothered with such annoyances, and walked straight out..
4 bottles is the legal limit, you can go over that but you'd be taking a risk of having them confiscated..
Good luck :wink:
sleepless.in.dubai
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 09, 2006
The limit is any 4 bottles or cases of beer and 2000 ciggies
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jan 09, 2006
Buy it Dubai airport when you arrive! So much cheaper.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

re: duty free Jan 10, 2006
duty free allowance on alcohol applies to people who are non-resident in the uae (or tourists). strictly speaking if you have a residency stamp in your passport they can ask for your liquor license! although they don't apply the rule - nice loop hole. i did however recently hear of them toughening up on returning cabin crew members and asking them to present thier licenses when bringing alcohol through customs.

it is cheaper and less hassle to buy it here at duty free. i always have this nightmare of a bottle of jack breaking open in my hand luggage in the plane!
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Jan 10, 2006
Ajman Marina .....

Cheapest Alcohol outlet in the Middle East. People come to it from allover the Gulf to buy from here.

I can't remember the exact prices, I'm not much of a drinker, but they were very cheap, and quite big of a selection.

Drive from Dubai to SHJ to Ajman taking the sea/corniche road, don't stop until you reach the dead end, Ajman Kempinski, take a right at the small roundabout and you're there.

The only thing I remember was that a Blue Label Johnnie Walker cost about 650-700 (1000 in duty free).

A huge selection of wines as well.
Linda_Stuiv
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 11, 2006
Actually, I have to correct you there. Yes, Ajman is cheap, but there are other places that are cheaper. Barracuda for one.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 11, 2006
You're right, I've heard that these places further north are cheaper. But the difference in price is probably half the difference in gasoline, which you'll pay to get there (as opposed to Ajman) :)

Unless you plan on buying a year's supply all at once of course :P
Linda_Stuiv
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 12, 2006
Linda_Stuiv wrote:You're right, I've heard that these places further north are cheaper. But the difference in price is probably half the difference in gasoline, which you'll pay to get there (as opposed to Ajman) :)

Unless you plan on buying a year's supply all at once of course :P

kekeke Yorky is so desperate that he forgot to calculate the total cost eventhough he is an engineer! First u buy Broken Mountainback instead of King Kong and then the desperation after watching that movie..... :lol:
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum