Does Living In Dubai Cause Hair Loss?

Topic locked
Sep 10, 2007
KeithL wrote:
Tups wrote:Thanks guys, good advice i'll look into the water filter before we leave.

Any update on this magical oil ? :? :?:

It's in the shampoo section it's made out of some kind of Indian nut. About the oil http://www.garrysun.com/amlaoil.html
The brand I have found http://www.garuda.hu/product.php?product_id=31

Sunsilk also has a shampoo that's meant to prevent hair fall. I haven't tried it - get to confused with all the selections.

scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 11, 2007
Great post! This nut oil really works?? I havent seen it in supermarket, where do you get it?

Apart from hair loss. I am suffering from scabby scalp. Mainly hairline area. Getting worst now. Itching as well :cry: Feels like i am down with some disease :oops: (and no I never have ticks even as a child)

scarlet wrote:
KeithL wrote:
Tups wrote:Thanks guys, good advice i'll look into the water filter before we leave.

Any update on this magical oil ? :? :?:

It's in the shampoo section it's made out of some kind of Indian nut. About the oil http://www.garrysun.com/amlaoil.html
The brand I have found http://www.garuda.hu/product.php?product_id=31

Sunsilk also has a shampoo that's meant to prevent hair fall. I haven't tried it - get to confused with all the selections.
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Nov 16, 2007
What kind of water filter I have to use and where to get it from?
dubai008
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 20, 2007
The local filter I got from the supermarket doesnt work for me. However, dandruff shampoo seems to work ok so far. The pharmacies at the hospital recommended Pantene.

dubai008 wrote:What kind of water filter I have to use and where to get it from?
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Shower Filters From USA Jan 09, 2008
I will be moving to Dubai from USA and I'd appreciate if you guys could let me know a good shower filter that I could buy in USA and use in Dubai. I looked at Aquasana filters, but the reviews for Aquasana seem to be mixed. I'm looking for something thats sturdy enough and that can withstand everyday use over a longer period of time.

Alternatively, can I buy good quality shower filters locally in Dubai?
thekinge
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Shower Filters From USA Jan 09, 2008
thekinge wrote:I will be moving to Dubai from USA and I'd appreciate if you guys could let me know a good shower filter that I could buy in USA and use in Dubai. I looked at Aquasana filters, but the reviews for Aquasana seem to be mixed. I'm looking for something thats sturdy enough and that can withstand everyday use over a longer period of time.

Alternatively, can I buy good quality shower filters locally in Dubai?

Buy one here. They're cheap.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Shower Filters From USA Jan 09, 2008
^ian^ wrote:Buy one here. They're cheap.

Thanks for your response ian. Would you know of any specific local brand that works well? Reading through other messages in this forum, I thought that there were not that many good quality shower filters available locally, but then my knowledge about Dubai is very limited.
thekinge
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Shower Filters From USA Jan 12, 2008
thekinge wrote:
^ian^ wrote:Buy one here. They're cheap.

Thanks for your response ian. Would you know of any specific local brand that works well? Reading through other messages in this forum, I thought that there were not that many good quality shower filters available locally, but then my knowledge about Dubai is very limited.

Here is what you will get from a local filter. You open the box. Dont expect much packaging. Not much instruction. You will find bits and bobs in the box and you need to figure out what goes where. Its fun. In case you broke it, not likely, just go and buy another one. But since its made locally one should think its safe & good enough to use?!
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Re: Shower Filters From USA Jan 13, 2008
BabyDoll wrote:Here is what you will get from a local filter. You open the box. Dont expect much packaging. Not much instruction. You will find bits and bobs in the box and you need to figure out what goes where. Its fun. In case you broke it, not likely, just go and buy another one. But since its made locally one should think its safe & good enough to use?!

Would you know of any specific water filter thats good quality & durable, local or imported?
thekinge
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 15, 2008
Havent seen imported ones. But my shopping experience is confined to supermarket only - carrefour to be exact.
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Jan 28, 2008
BabyDoll wrote:Havent seen imported ones. But my shopping experience is confined to supermarket only - carrefour to be exact.

So are you saying that these shower filters can be found at Carrefour? I need to buy one and do not know where to find them.
BrandingMichelle
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 29, 2008
BrandingMichelle wrote:So are you saying that these shower filters can be found at Carrefour?

I can't find my original comment but that's where I bought one.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jan 29, 2008
bonk wrote:
BrandingMichelle wrote:So are you saying that these shower filters can be found at Carrefour?

I can't find my original comment but that's where I bought one.

Great thank you! I'm going to go look for one today.
BrandingMichelle
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 29, 2008
I went to Carrefour today and I can confirm that they sell them, but they were out of stock! They said they usually receive stock of the shower filters about twice a week, but it had been 2 weeks since their last shipment. So, I don't know if they have stopped carrying them, but I hope not.
BrandingMichelle
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 30, 2008
i guess you wont have any hair left by the time they get some in stock :shock:
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 30, 2008
MaaaD wrote:i guess you wont have any hair left by the time they get some in stock :shock:

Haha. I hope so! I actually went to the salon today and cut a lot of it off... about 6 inches. So if I lose it now, oh well... won't make much of a difference anyway!
BrandingMichelle
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 30, 2008
BrandingMichelle wrote:I went to Carrefour today and I can confirm that they sell them, but they were out of stock!

Try Geant in Ibn Battuta Mall, or Ace Hardware (SZ Road, or Festival City), or Speedex (SZ Rd).
bonk

Jan 31, 2008
bonk wrote:
BrandingMichelle wrote:I went to Carrefour today and I can confirm that they sell them, but they were out of stock!

Try Geant in Ibn Battuta Mall, or Ace Hardware (SZ Road, or Festival City), or Speedex (SZ Rd).

bonk, are these filters effective? I'm sorry if I sound ignorant, but I am interested to know what difference they make to the quality of water? Also, are these the types that can be attached to the shower?
thekinge
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 01, 2008
thekinge wrote:bonk, are these filters effective?

Don't know, my hair still falls out :wink:

I'm sorry if I sound ignorant, but I am interested to know what difference they make to the quality of water?

Don't know. Water quality fine for drinking anyway.

Also, are these the types that can be attached to the shower?

Mine is - rerouted shower hose through it.
bonk

Feb 01, 2008
Also, are these the types that can be attached to the shower?

Mine is - rerouted shower hose through it.[/quote]

How did you do that? I bought a shower filter but it looks like the kind you have to attach to the water supply, and I have no clue how to do that! I really am totally clueless with this thing I bought.

It would really help me out if you could take a picture for me so I can know what to look for or to see if I have the right one. Pretty please! If you ever need a favor (via internet) I'll owe you one.
BrandingMichelle
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 01, 2008
BrandingMichelle wrote:How did you do that?

I paid a plumber. He drilled holes in the wall, installed the filter, disconnected the shower pipe and screwed it into the filter, and a second hose to the water supply. Looked like a PITA operation...

BrandingMichelle wrote:It would really help me out if you could take a picture for me

You're gonna hate me now :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ...

bonk

Feb 01, 2008
bonk wrote:
BrandingMichelle wrote:How did you do that?

I paid a plumber. He drilled holes in the wall, installed the filter, disconnected the shower pipe and screwed it into the filter, and a second hose to the water supply. Looked like a PITA operation...

BrandingMichelle wrote:It would really help me out if you could take a picture for me

You're gonna hate me now :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ...

Let me guess... that's not where you take showers?

The reason why I was asking is because I don't know if I have the right filter for the shower...
BrandingMichelle
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 01, 2008
I have this... it's the last product on the page the shower filter...
http://www.sosafe.net/products/wallmoun ... runits.htm
BrandingMichelle
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 01, 2008
BrandingMichelle wrote:Let me guess... that's not where you take showers?

Ah, I thought it was very believable :).

Same as what I have. Top two holes for wall mounting (you'll probably need a concrete drill, and those plastic bits that expand when you put screw in). Hoses go in each side of the unit.

If you're in an apartment building, ask maintenance for plumber person.
bonk

Feb 01, 2008
As you can see, I have a lush, full head of hair. So it must be working well :)...

bonk

Feb 01, 2008
Awesome. That you. That helps out soo much. I have the shower filter cartridge but not the casing for it yet... I'll have to find that. I think it was at the store but I didn't know I needed it. I just bought the filter cartridge.

And yes... that's some mighty fine hair you have there. :)
BrandingMichelle
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 01, 2008
bonk wrote:
thekinge wrote:bonk, are these filters effective?

Don't know, my hair still falls out :wink:

That helps a lot bonk :lol:

bonk wrote:
BrandingMichelle wrote:Let me guess... that's not where you take showers?

Ah, I thought it was very believable :).

Same as what I have. Top two holes for wall mounting (you'll probably need a concrete drill, and those plastic bits that expand when you put screw in). Hoses go in each side of the unit.

If you're in an apartment building, ask maintenance for plumber person.

Is this the one that's available in Carrefour / Geant?
thekinge
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 02, 2008
thekinge wrote:That helps a lot bonk :lol:

Water filters don't reverse the aging process :). What I mean is I can't tell if they slow it down.

Is this the one that's available in Carrefour / Geant?

Yes, when I bought it.
bonk

Feb 03, 2008
bonk wrote:Yes, when I bought it.

Thanks bonk, that helps shave few pounds off my luggage :thumbright:
thekinge
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 28, 2008
Try Sharaf DG if you dont mind paying a little more. They should also have the replacement filters and no problem with returns.
cheeralal
Dubai Forum Visitor

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum