Describe Dubai In One Word...

Topic locked
Describe Dubai in one word... Nov 13, 2005
I was maybe thinking "Bold" or "Thrusting" or "Brash" or even "Cosmopolitan" but, after careful consideration, I just can't get away from....

TACKY

... and I mean it in the nicest possible way :D .

GoodBai
Dubai Forums Talker

Nov 13, 2005
Different
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 13, 2005
Unique

Cheers,

D
smartd
Dubai Forums Vice-Admin

Nov 14, 2005
surreal
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 14, 2005
FAKE
D-Unit
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 14, 2005
possibilities :D
constantine
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Nov 14, 2005
Superficial
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Nov 14, 2005
imitation
175bpm
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 14, 2005
forgot to say niced post 8)
175bpm
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 14, 2005
Traffic
geraintindxb
Dubai Forums Talker

Nov 14, 2005
fake!
cadmus
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 14, 2005
HOME!
easternjewel

Nov 14, 2005
yes, i agree with others = fake
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 15, 2005
Artificial
secretdubai
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Nov 15, 2005
where is this thread headed
D-Unit
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 15, 2005
D-unit,
I think in one word you must describe Dubai!!!
For me it would be.......enterprising.
Rosie
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 15, 2005
okay, someone needs to fill me in here. Why is it "fake" and "imitation"? Am I missing something? I'm gonna be moving there in May, so I need to know what I'm getting myself into. Thanx
solange
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 15, 2005
Post a new topic regarding this and all your questions will be answered, or look at some of the other topics for info.

Oh another word.

Slavery! - with regards to the low wage labour guys.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Nov 15, 2005
if you hate dubai and think its fake just leave ;)

I doubt the words some people are posting can sum up the WHOLE city.

Cheers,

D
smartd
Dubai Forums Vice-Admin

Nov 15, 2005
words like 'traffic, different, possibilities and even slavery make sence...
but what do you guys mean by fake, artificial and imitation??
easternjewel

Nov 15, 2005
few issues coz of which i think its fake..

1. they say that dubai is a cosmopoliton city and they have amazing infrastructure. but as far as i have seen...the public infrastructure is worst i have seen till date....does'nt matter how high your buildings are...these are basic things...

2. Before i cam here i had heard that in dubai there are no taxes. so that means things shud be cheap here. But no everything is expensive just because everyone thinks about money. margins are so high.

3. communication services- slowest i have seen...besides no competition with etisalat. so they have a monoply in market. result, higher call rates then most of the countries i have been to.(talking abt international calls)

4. Equality amongst citizens(nationals vs expats, whites vs browns, western vs eastern)

5. exploitation of workers.- employees not paying salaries to the workers, employees stripping the attendents, etc etc.

Most of the people staying here have one issue or another related to the administration. be it wrong way of construction going on, no control of govt. on rents, attitude of police etc etc.

i am not saying these issues dont exist in other countries. they do. but everywhere they try to solve these issues. they dont spend all the time and money in making big buildings only. A great city is made by people who live in it. not by the size of the buildings.

by the way can someone tell me wht is dubai culture?

~~No offence meant to neone
cadmus
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 15, 2005
And Dubai is very superficial, because everything is glitzy and glamorous on the outside but as has been said before the basic infrastructures required to run the city are missing, when you scratch the surface there are so many problems. Not much is like living in the real world here, Dubai is a bit of a bubble, it's a giant play ground where everything has to be the biggest and best but at the end of the day people don't really care about that stuff.

And many of the people are superficial, because Dubai is still very much a transcient place where people mostly come for a few years and then leave they don't contribute to the society and are very rarely themselves, they bleed what they can out of it for a few years then disappear.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Nov 15, 2005
Mercenary
sabiqoon
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 15, 2005
contradictory
zazi
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 15, 2005
actually i don't think that Dubai is fake....
I just think that it is totally lacking in sub-culture.... and that's why it feels as if it's lacking a soul....
It's like... It's mainstream or nostream.... there's nothing inbetween the top and the bottom....

and i think that's why ... it can seem fake... but i'm not sure fake is the best way to describe it...
zazi
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 15, 2005
Well, billionaire Mohamed Ali Alabbar, the chairman of Emaar "The world's largest real estate group" and the head of Dubai economic development, said on the TV series Dubair Dreams this week that Dubai was the new "New York" and whatever he said everyone (Arabs and expats alike) was sh#t-scared to contradict him. He also said everything had to be done in the best possible taste. He didn't think it was fake or superficial.

You should have seen his pad... wow! What I'd like to know tho is how he keeps his whites so white... must be a nightmare if there's some bolognaise sauce spilled on there!!!

On yes, and I would have thought there might just occasionally be some conflict of interest being in charge of government economic development in Dubai and running this real estate giant there as well. But that's just probably cynical old me :D
GoodBai
Dubai Forums Talker

Nov 16, 2005
if you hate dubai and think its fake just leave

yo smartd...u were supposed to describe the country and not tell us that if we dont like then we should leave..!

what i mean by fake is that there is nothing original in dubai..every things is fake from gardens to lakes...etc etc..ex. the 7wonders of the world which they want to build...the palm...the world...

I thinks all the new construction is great but when u look back on ur own countries u will understand what i mean..our own countries have real history...and when i say fake its not in a negative way..i still like dubai..but in the long run i prefere my own country..

and i totally agree on that dubai lacks soul...the country is built for others not for the locals...it is so mixed that u dont feel like the country has a nationality..
ex. denmark is for the danes..but if u contribute and integrate well in the system u share the benefits of the country and u do feel like a dane..where as in dubai..no one will ever really feel that they belonge to the country and specially cuz the government segmentate all the nationalities..[/quote]
D-Unit
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 16, 2005
one more reason:
whenever someone says abt something which is wrong here...people ask him/her to leave the city....i know its not democracy here....but small countries like Bhutan following the same kind of system allow people to express their feelings abt problems...and instead of asking people to go out...they think about improving the conditions...

by the way....if you ever get chance to visit bhutan do it...Amazingly beautiful place...went there once for trekking trip.....warm people, beautiful country and amzing culture
cadmus
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 16, 2005
[MONEY]
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat