As A Woman In Dubai

Topic locked
As a woman in Dubai Sep 08, 2007
Hello!

I just joined this forum today and was hoping to pick the brain of more experienced Dubai residents out there about how things work in the UAE, and what you should and should not do.

I'm relocating from London to Dubai at the end of the month and one of the many things that's been pointed out to me by people I mention this to is that, as a western woman, it's quite 'brave' to go to make such a move.

What do people who are already living there think of that, any thoughts or advice? I'm under the impression that Dubai is relatively liberal and western friendly, while not being Europe or America of course, but how different is it?

How do people dress in Dubai, for example. I know you don't have to cover up, but would I be able to bring my skinny jeans and wear them for example? Or ar people exaggerating when they say it's 'brave to go'..?

Any thoughts or tips on what it's like, and how you can and cannot dress, would be appreciated!

Thanks

N

N
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Sep 09, 2007
Nothing to worry about. In fact ,I think that many women overdue it and wear things at malls and other places that would be innapropriate even in "western" countries. There is an arrogance and an "I'm on vacation", "I'm leaving soon", "I'm western you see" attitude (I've seen woman wearing sheer dresses with vikini tops and bottoms while at malls and in public - ugly odd shapes to boot!).

I think it might also have to do with what you "look like" racewise. Dubai is very racist and if you do not "look" western and are scantily dressed then you might run a higher risk of getting in "trouble".

Just a trip to any of the malls will give you a sense of what is allowed - I would say almost everything. Is it good or bad?...

Never heard of any woman being in trouble for the way she dressess. Decency is personal not religious...

*I need coffee after this post*
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 09, 2007
It's not really "brave" its about the same as moving to any other country. Its more "adventurous"

you will find that people here have better dress sense than in some parts of London. Just make sure your skinny jeans are a designer label
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 09, 2007
Hello

Thanks for the replies, it's good to get a better idea. Wearing seethrough dresses with bikini bottoms underneath isn't something I would do anywhere anyway, for example, so that won't be a problem!

So I wouldn't take it that far, though it is good to know that people dress in a variety of ways. The only thing that does make me think is what was said about Dubai being racist and that you're most likely to get into trouble if you don't look obviously Europena.

I'm half European and was raised in Europe, but I'm also half North African, so I don't actually look very European at all, in fact I probably don't look too dissimilar from many people in Dubai. Do you think that will have an impact on how people see me or are likely to react to the way I dress?

Again, input is appreciated, thanks for the replies so far!

N
N
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Sep 09, 2007
Wow, I was really expecting Concord to start lecturing about the various punishments etc., he must be getting old :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 10, 2007
sage & onion wrote:Wow, I was really expecting Concord to start lecturing about the various punishments etc., he must be getting old :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks fo the post S & G. It is good to know you are finally shutting that trap of yours [only 7/9 repeats of what someone else said in last 2 days -with a twist "i was going to say the same thing". Progress is good...

You are even attempting some humor. Perserverance, perseverance, perseverance, it just might come to you...

p.s. You can reply as S&G or Tropic, your choice.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 10, 2007
You also have to deal with people who stare- lots of them here! (as if they're not aware that it is rude, maybe a culture thing for them :? ). But I think since you implied you don't look like the typical white, blonde european, you might get less stares :wink:
yujinn
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 10, 2007
^^that point i must agree
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 10, 2007
yujinn wrote:You also have to deal with people who stare- lots of them here! (as if they're not aware that it is rude, maybe a culture thing for them :? ). But I think since you implied you don't look like the typical white, blonde european, you might get less stares :wink:

they do this even to male people. i once had the longest staring competition to a laborer inside a bus. sadly i won. :D
xero_
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum