Moving To Dubai Just Like Everyone Else :)

Topic locked
Moving to Dubai just like everyone else :) Nov 07, 2005
Hi everyone,

I will be moving to Dubai soon, coming from Singapore. I will be working for a small MNC Company in Dubai and they have offered me a living allowance, not a bad salary plus airfare.

I am single and I hope AED40k living allowance should be sufficient for me. I will most prolly get a studio apartment, but I don't know where to start looking. I looked at gulfnews.com classifieds and the rentals listed there are pretty expensive. I have looked at the Dubai map and I think it will most prolly have to be in Bur Dubai area, since thats where my work is.

Also, coming from Singapore I never thought I would ever need a car. If you all have ever been to Singapore you should know we have the world's public transport system. I do have a driver's license here and I hope it gets converted in Dubai.

I also wanted to ask whats the best option for me in terms of getting a car. Should I be looking at buying a car immediately, or go there and rent a car or go lease a car. I am keen on leasing and was wondering if anyone knows what I can expect to pay for cars like a civic or lancer or corolla in terms of leasing options.

Thanks

A64Venice
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 07, 2005
In Bur Dubai I think you'll be lucky to find a studio flat for less than 45,000Dhs.

Leasing, aroun 1,300 a month will get you a little car, normally an exho of something like that. But make sure you go to a reputable agent as there are some real cowboys here.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Nov 07, 2005
Chocoholic wrote:In Bur Dubai I think you'll be lucky to find a studio flat for less than 45,000Dhs.

Leasing, aroun 1,300 a month will get you a little car, normally an exho of something like that. But make sure you go to a reputable agent as there are some real cowboys here.

Thx for the advice!

Which area would you recommend for a studio apartment, preferably near bur dubai also within AED40k?
A64Venice
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 07, 2005
To be perfectly honest, I think you'll have to do some serious looking around, considering you can rarely find a 1 bed apartment for less than 55,000.

Your best bet might be to share with someone.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Nov 07, 2005
I would think that one bedroom flats are usually more expensive compared to studio apartments.

I know I have to do serious looking when I get there, but right now my only resource is the net. I trying to find other classified sections, but I want to get a clearer picture from someone who actually lives in Dubai.
A64Venice
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 08, 2005
Agree with Chocco, area you're wanting and with a 40k budget really only leaves you with shared accomodation - unless you stay somewhere like Karama or the skirts of Bur Dubai.

Car wise you'll find Dubai to be a damn sight cheaper than Sg. Just check with ur company as well regarding transport allowance - ie u should be getting some. Try checking with your company whether they have an established rate with any leasing companies, to give you an idea my company uses UCR (but I wouldn't) and corporate monthly rate for a Civic/Corolla is around AED1,920 and Lancer AED1,680.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 08, 2005
XRW, appreciate the info man!
A64Venice
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 08, 2005
No worries buddy.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 08, 2005
if u know where exactly ur work in bur dubai, I might suggest to u some cheap and nice places !
Palkid7
Dubai chat master

Nov 08, 2005
Palkid7 wrote:if u know where exactly ur work in bur dubai, I might suggest to u some cheap and nice places !

Palkid, im looking more east near Creek park and Wafi city area.
A64Venice
Dubai Expat Helper

What about this ?! Nov 09, 2005
well, here are my suggestions:
Option 1:if money is not a problem for u, u can look for a place in karama, as a close place for ur work.
Option 2:Rashidya which is near Garhood bridge, a bit cheap if u found a place there.
Option 3: Braha, full of studio appartments, and cheapest that u can find, but a big problem there is to find a place to park ur car !! it is a headache !! unless u want to use the bus !
Option 4: live somewhere in the gardens or near emirates mall. when u go to work, most of the people will be heading the opposit direction (i.e to Jebel Ali), and when u get back home, people will be going back to dubai, so ur way will always be clear !
This is all waht I can help u with !!
all the best to u !!
Palkid7
VR6 rulez !!
Palkid7
Dubai chat master

Re: What about this ?! Nov 09, 2005
Palkid7 wrote:Option 4: live somewhere in the gardens

For AED40k/year you'd have to bunk up with someone else.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 09, 2005
Palkid, thanks a lot!
A64Venice
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 12, 2005
UR welcome !!
Palkid7
Dubai chat master

Nov 14, 2005
i'd try www.dubizzle.com for apt. for rent. they have a number of places in that range i believe and if they don't you can always post what you are looking for for free.

also have a large number of used cars available. unfortunately its the only online classified for dubai worth a crap.

hope that helps
joeschmo
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 15, 2005
Much appreciated. Will check it out.
A64Venice
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum