Satwa??

Topic locked
Satwa?? Aug 21, 2007
Hi all,

This is my first post here so please be gentle :wink:

I'm moving out to Dubai on a 6 month secondment with a City law firm. I'll be working at the DFIC. They're paying for my accommodation and are putting me up in an apartment (800 sq ft w/ gym, sauna and swimming pool) next to Dubai Civil Defence and opposite Rydges Hotel which, after consulting Google Earth, I see is on Satwa Roundabout.

Can anyone tell me about this area? It looks like one of the cheaper places. Is it nice, clean, safe? Is it an expat hangout? I am a bit concerned as it seems like the cool expat areas are Jumeirah etc. and that Satwa seems to be a bit of a dodgy area (according to Wikipedia :? ).

Vitriol01
Dubai Forum Guest

Aug 21, 2007
Satwa is not the best place to live in but from what you described, you are closer to the Al Diyafa street, which has the most restaurants and plenty of shopping

The new buildings near the civil defense are very nice too and besides its in the heart of the city, which makes getting cabs, buses, quite convenient
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 21, 2007
Btw DIFC not DFIC is very close to Satwa, so travelling wont be a hassel either :wink:
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 21, 2007
Thanks Keith. Are there any westernised places in the area? I spoke to someone around the office here and they've said Satwa is a 'sh*thole'.
Vitriol01
Dubai Forum Guest

Aug 21, 2007
Vitriol01 wrote:Thanks Keith. Are there any westernised places in the area? I spoke to someone around the office here and they've said Satwa is a 'sh*thole'.

The back streets of Satwa are most definitely a big grubby, but Satwa as a whole isn't so bad.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Aug 21, 2007
Sounds liek a sh it hole to me....

All of satwa and diyafah are surrounded with small sized pathetic buildings...

My buddy....u r in a building rated "not bad"

its not ok...its just..."not bad"
guest999

Aug 21, 2007
Well mate, I don't know what to say except...congratulations!

I've lived in Dubai for the last 15 years and Satwa is one of my favorite places.

Like one poster said, it sounds like you are on, or near, Al Diyafa Street, which is great. Al Diyafah is a fantastic little place, one of the oldest streets here. I'm on it literally every other night!

Want a bite to eat? Pop down to any of the fast food joints for a no frills meal. Fancy a 'proper' restaurant? There are some Lebanese ones, not to mention a very nice Chinese. Also, you're a stone's throw away from two hotels - Ridges and the Rotana, with all that that means...

Grab a shawarma, or take a smoke in one of the shisha cafes. It's such a great place to just chill out in the evening, unwind and watch ordinary people going about their ordinary business, not these friggin idiots who dress like they're permanently about to step foot on a catwalk, or wera their wear shades even at eight o clock at night...

The sights, the smells of Satwa - I wouldn't swap it for anything! The curry houses, the little Indian/Pakistani sweet shops, the Filipino eateries, the mad hustle and bustle of REAL people in a REAL world...

A lot of people think that the only reason some expats feel like this - about places like Karama and Satwa - is because they can't afford to live in new Dubai. Honestly, that's bollox. I know loads of people who dig Satwa and find new Dubai utterly. utterly. dull.

Satwa, Karama or some little places in Bur Dubai or Deira...I'll take them over Dubai Marina or some bland, faceless existence in the Springs anyday...

Also, you're right next door to Jumeirah and a stone's throw away from Sheikh Zayed Rd - you want posh, sophisticated cafes, restaurants, bars and nightclubs - it's right there too. The public beach, Dubai Marine Hotel, Jumeirah Beach Rd, you're there.

Any which way bro, you're in a great little spot!

:D
burton
Dubai forums Addict
Location: meanstreets of satwa, outside your mosque, stealing your shoes...

Aug 21, 2007
Yep, Karama rocks. Satwa is somewhat similar, although with more crappy areas, but they're disappearing every day.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 22, 2007
Well there is a huge difference between satwa and al diyafa...diyafa is slightly more "upper class" when compared to satwa. In satwa you will find more labor class people living in the area...more expats live in the diyafah area.
a_flat_toon
Dubai Forum Guest

Aug 22, 2007
Vitriol01 wrote:Thanks Keith. Are there any westernised places in the area? I spoke to someone around the office here and they've said Satwa is a 'sh*thole'.

The Meadows and Springs is more "westernised" but its out in the sticks and very dull

Burton has described Al Diyafa the best.... if its only 6 months, thats the best place you could like in
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 22, 2007
yep dhiyafa is nice, only the traffic though. but its not that bad, just walk around to get to places in satwa youll find everythin you need in there like burton said. especially now the summer season is almost over.

only problem are the teenagers there are quite a bit rowdy sometimes. and there are drunk people wanderin around near the lals area (homeless people). but thats the other area of satwa theyre talkin about. other than that its all good.
xero_
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 22, 2007
a_flat_toon wrote:Well there is a huge difference between satwa and al diyafa...diyafa is slightly more "upper class" when compared to satwa. In satwa you will find more labor class people living in the area...more expats live in the diyafah area.

you mean those "labor class people" are not expats? :roll:

It all boils down to your standards. I find Satwa below a "typical" western person's standards (I could almost hear them go "eeewww..." at the sight of the place)
yujinn
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 22, 2007
yujinn wrote:you mean those "labor class people" are not expats? :roll:

It all boils down to your standards. I find Satwa below a "typical" western person's standards (I could almost hear them go "eeewww..." at the sight of the place)

Hehe, you'd think some of them have never seen ghetto areas before. Even New York has them.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 22, 2007
Thanks for all the responses. It doesn't seem all so bad now.

Found some pics of the place (which is said to be in the Hudaiba area so I guess just outside of Satwa and across the street from Al Diyafah). Here!

65k seems on the cheap side...

I'll just have to see what the place is like - maybe I'll love it! (If i hate it I guess I can always complain :p)[/url]
Vitriol01
Dubai Forum Guest

Aug 22, 2007
^ian^ wrote:The back streets of Satwa are most definitely a big grubby, but Satwa as a whole isn't so bad.

Yeah, Ian is right. The back streets of Satwa are very grubby BUT nobody actually walks down those backstreets!

They are the streets going between people's houses - you just don't go down them! Not because they are dangerous but because there's usually no need...

All the main roads in Satwa are 'fine'. I mean, they are grubby too but they're also busy, vibrant and exciting.

It's funny because if you came across Satwa or an area like Satwa, while on holiday, say India or Thailand - you wouldn't slate it. You would say it was REAL, that it had soul!
burton
Dubai forums Addict
Location: meanstreets of satwa, outside your mosque, stealing your shoes...

Aug 23, 2007
I second to Burton & gtmash.

I chose Karama (the other end though, just in front of Burjuman) just because:
- a lot cheaper than other overpriced areas like Greens, Marina (though I could have afford it, but why waste money)
- in the center of everything. mall, shops, restaurants, supermarkets, banks are just next door.
- more lively than other area. If you think those "Westernized" areas are more lively, I doubt, even you wouldn't know your neighbour next door. People are too busy here.

Too crowded and noisy? Not at all, at least not at my part of the building.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 23, 2007
xty wrote:I second to Burton & gtmash.

I chose Karama (the other end though, just in front of Burjuman) just because:
- a lot cheaper than other overpriced areas like Greens, Marina (though I could have afford it, but why waste money)
- in the center of everything. mall, shops, restaurants, supermarkets, banks are just next door.
- more lively than other area. If you think those "Westernized" areas are more lively, I doubt, even you wouldn't know your neighbour next door. People are too busy here.

Too crowded and noisy? Not at all, at least not at my part of the building.

I agree, i have seen lots of great new buildings in that area, I think its a great place to live in, even better if you are closer to work..
hamadl
Dubai Forums Talker

Aug 23, 2007
to the OP,

I just met someone who lives in the apartments you are talking about and I saw them from the front. They said it was a very nice apartment and building, however the owner has leased the gym and pool out on memberships to people around 200-300 which is probably illegal as it is a private residence and now makes the gym/pool to busy to use. they are looking into reporting it to the municipality.

Other than that it's in a fab area. Good restaurants, shops, a few bars and access to all points of the city.
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 23, 2007
scarlet wrote:They said it was a very nice apartment and building, however the owner has leased the gym and pool out on memberships to people around 200-300 which is probably illegal as it is a private residence and now makes the gym/pool to busy to use. they are looking into reporting it to the municipality.

Sadly, it's not illegal. More and more developers/owner associations are doing this to prevent overuse. It's also happening with 'extra' carparks in buildings too.
^ian^

Aug 23, 2007
They have leased the pool and gym out to people who don't live in the building.
All those people from the "back" streets of satwa can buy membership in this building
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 23, 2007
scarlet wrote:They have leased the pool and gym out to people who don't live in the building.
All those people from the "back" streets of satwa can buy membership in this building

This is still entirely legal provided the ownership of the gymnasium area is setup correctly. Sucks, but that's the way it's going.
^ian^

Aug 23, 2007
scarlet wrote:They have leased the pool and gym out to people who don't live in the building.

I wouldn't worry too much about the "back" street people. They probably won't pay to exercise.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 23, 2007
You will be right next door to Ravi's. What more could you ask for in life?

Seriously, Satwa is a fairly funky place by Dubai standards, though traffic is pretty bad. If I didn't have kids (and therefore wanted somewhere a bit quieter and greener) I would happily live there.
jayzed
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 04, 2007
ravis is a great resteraunt

i live in bur dubai, again, not the greatest of expat places, but as soon as you know where to go, u will find loads of expats where you didnt expect!

some places are very 'local' others are not.

my best friends live in bur dubai, and they are all english too! like me!
dave101
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Satwa Jan 19, 2008
I've travelled to Dubai for 13yrs selling Real Estate at property exhibitions, nearly always stay at Ridges Hotel. I enjoy the 'old' part of anywhere I visit. I find Satwa handy to airport, Deira and all the interesting parts of Dubai. As others are saying, it is walking distance to a fantastic range of restaurants and with taxis being cheap, your not far from anywhere.
dubaigoldcoast
Dubai Forum Visitor

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum